UBB.threads
Posted By: eughen ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 09:29 AM
hi,
i recently purchase this sword, it is a present for a sniper competition where a SS man win the race, it is in silver, it has engraved the blade with SS degen motto from one side and from the other there is write : for the best sniper of the SS, place and 1943.
someone has seen something like this? what is the value?

E

Attached picture tiro2.jpg
Posted By: eughen Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 09:30 AM
blade

Attached picture tiro4.jpg
Posted By: eughen Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 09:31 AM
blade2

Attached picture tiro5.jpg
Posted By: eughen Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 09:32 AM
blade3

Attached picture tiro6.jpg
Posted By: eughen Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 09:34 AM
on the cross guard there is also applied a SS badge, it is like a pin , the guard inside is marked with number, the sword has leather scabbard, no runes mark on the blade
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 10:19 AM
eughen, I'm very sorry but, I believe your degen is a post-war put together. The hilt looks like sometype of civil service sword wih fake eagle and runes badges.
Posted By: ORPO Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 02:12 PM
Eughen,

I have to agree with Dale that your sword is a fantasy piece. These old style Degens were sold during the 1930s as "Vereins-Waffen" by WKC and others and were not military in nature during WWII.

I have seen several swords like this over the years that have been "enhanced" into so-called SS Degen. Dale already pointed out the eagle and runes and I will mention that I see no reason for the mix of a Wehrmacht eagle and SS runes on the same sword in this manner. The normally wire wrapped grip seems to have been replaced with leather and has obviously been taken apart since the blade is on backwards. This particular etched SS motto has been extensively faked on swords for many years.

I am afraid the sword you show does not appear original to me from the photographs.
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/03/2006 05:57 PM
I guess this would be the SS Generals equivelent to the bogus Luftwaffe Generals swords that occasionaly crop up. (Yes I know there are some legit. Luft ones).
It would be interesting to see how the blade etch was applied to this example.
Jim
Posted By: eughen Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/04/2006 10:57 AM
hi Jim,
tell me what kind of pics you want to see and i make it.
the blade is engraved by acid i suppose, and the guard and the grip are blocked by the pommel in the upper part
Posted By: B�rse Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/04/2006 11:38 AM
Is there any depth relief to the letters, or is it on the surface?

From the pictures, it appears this etched is a photo etch, not an acid etch.
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/04/2006 01:36 PM
Eughen:
Closeups in focus shots of the blade etchings. It's usually best to do it in segments. Myself.and I'm sure others, would like to compare the etching to other examples.
Jim
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/04/2006 05:12 PM
As suggested a postwar put together from miscellaneous parts. It�s an Imperial era style hilt seen on some early Imperial officer�s dress swords and also adopted by some officials in that era and later. FP
Posted By: Baz69 Re: ss engraved sword help - 03/04/2006 05:37 PM
While it is probably a fake piece, the etch is classic WKC, the ends of the etched panels are seen on other WKC and WK&C products.

Gary.
© Your new forums