UBB.threads
Posted By: happy German Hunting HirschFanger I.D - 01/17/2006 08:04 AM
I was curious to know if anyone could give some information on a sword my co-worker has.. It is marked G.H. Kohl on the top edge of the blade and also on the upper scabbard mount..It measures a length of 27 inches overall, and blade is 21 1/2".. The stag grip is an impressive piece..This stag has taken on a golden-brownish antique look and is sculpted nicely..the roundel with oak leaf patterns are in fine shape and the oak leaf pattern is repeated in the clamshell border and on the upper scabbard mount..I definitely do not qualify as an expert on swords ..but this would not appear to have been made for use in the field .. It is very ornate ..and could be a presentation sword ..Anyone that has more information .. I invite your e-mails..The blade is a 21 1/2"-inch long example..It is stamped with a small crown just below the felt pad on one side and it it is marked on the top edge G. H. KOHL Schwerd fleger ?? In STUTTGARDT .. (in script)It has a blued and gilted beautifully engraved design with motifs of hunting devices on one side and a dog and floral themes also..the bluing ends in a fancy pattern aprox. 3/4 of the blade length..
The Stag Handle is mounted atop a wonderfully detailed crossguard with center block, which features bas relief Boars head with ..The end pieces of both quillons featuring two different hunting dogs .. which look to be a Whippet and a Spaniel ..They are beautifully done, and a work of art . Below the quillon is a clamshell with a standing Elk or Stag between two trees with oakleaf border..
There is a sword knot attached to the scabbard, which appears original to this piece. It is a gold and copper bullion style knot, the connecting ribbons are in a gold pattern ..

Please take a look at the attached photoI can e-mail more if needed .. I thank you in advance for any info you can give .. Jack B.

Attached picture p1010177.jpg
Posted By: happy Re: German Hunting HirschFanger I.D - 01/17/2006 08:20 AM
another photo

Attached picture P1010163.jpg
Posted By: happy Re: German Hunting HirschFanger I.D - 01/17/2006 08:25 AM
1 more

Attached picture P1010130.JPG
Posted By: happy Re: German Hunting HirschFanger I.D - 01/17/2006 08:28 AM
Quillons and Clamshell close

Attached picture boarshead.jpg
© Your new forums