UBB.threads
Posted By: graeme gt Niice alcoso - 06/11/2008 10:38 AM
Hi guys,pretty standard sword except for blade length 37" ,but i would like to pick your brains about the black bottom on the knot .Is there any significance to it being black ?

Attached picture HPIM0552.JPG
Posted By: graeme gt Re: Niice alcoso - 06/11/2008 10:39 AM
another

Attached picture HPIM0551.JPG
Posted By: Swordfish Re: Niice alcoso - 06/11/2008 07:21 PM
She looks like you said, a pretty standard ACS Nr. 119 dovehead saber. A 37" blade is long, and periodically seen. I have a nice Puma with a blade of about the same lenth. I'm 6'1 and this sword would have been too long for me to carry. The pieces must have belongs to some tall Germans. Clearly the hilt is of brass construction and has some nice trace amounts of the original gilting in place. The grip wires look good and tight, and the celluloid grip looks free of cracks and other damage that we unfortunately so often see. Scabbard looks to be in decent shape, dent free and retaining a good 85% of it's original black paint.

Having a nice portepee in place is truly a nice bonus. So often we don't find piece with thier original knot. I've been fotunate enough to have acquired some vet pieces that had the original knot in place. This can often times be ascertained by looking at the wear patterns on both the hilt and the saber knot itself. Regarding the black portion of the bottom of the acorn, it deliniates something. I'd have too look in my reference. You can post the question in the accoutr. section and im sure Houston will be able to answer in a snap.

Good score. I've really enjoy plane-jane armies. Truly wonderful pieces that are finally just coming into thier own.
Posted By: graeme gt Re: Niice alcoso - 06/11/2008 08:38 PM
Thanks tom for your input ,got a herder today shall try to post it but i have been to pub here goes !
© Your new forums