UBB.threads
Posted By: foxart Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/27/2007 10:03 PM
Well, this is sort of a spin off of the previous "Period Reference" thread...

a question was asked re: a Baden hunting cutlass... so, since I had this piece out (pre-Max review of "inventory" Wink ) I thought I'd show it for general reference.

It's an early Eickhorn. Neat design. Lots of original gilting.

Description: A
Attached picture BadenA.jpg
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/27/2007 10:04 PM
B

Description: B
Attached picture BadenB.jpg
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/27/2007 10:04 PM
C

Description: C
Attached picture BadenC.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/27/2007 10:47 PM
Roger,

Super piece with a lot going on, really terrific gilting remaining. I particularly love the details on the crossguard as well as the clamshell. You really do find some great pieces Smile
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/28/2007 12:58 AM
Billy
Thanks...you've shown a variety of real stunners yourself!

I do love the way this thing is styled.

I was a little surprised to see this model pictured in Baz's Imperial WKC catalog and then notice that this Eickhorn was marked "Gesch Gesch". I was under the impression that was equivalent to "patent pending". Guess the patent application didn't get accepted!? Smile
(...or,maybe, it was pending just for the etch...?)
Clerification anybody?
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/28/2007 07:21 AM
Well I'm glad I saw this before I left to fly to the States for the Max which is in an hour.
What can one say to this beautiful elegant design apart from "it's beautiful, stupendous and wonderful".
First I have seen close up of this rare piece, love the gilding on it, that piece of stag must have been specially selected for those fittings, the fit is great as good as anything I have seen. Classic Eickhorn etch, is the Ges Gesch on the blade, usually is but I have an Eickhorn of a later period with Ges Gesch on the clamshell, I have always presumed it protected the design of the area it was on, ie the blade or in my case the clamshell.

Thanks for showing Roger, wish I could se it with my own mince pies(thats "eyes" to anybody not English).

Cheers

GARY
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/28/2007 12:50 PM
A very rare pattern. Great shape too.
Posted By: WWII Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/28/2007 09:29 PM
Roger,

That's a super find and I'm glad one of our members owns such a pristine example. If you'd ever get time ... heh Big Grin ... could you post a full-on photo of the clam and hilt and also the top of the pommel cap? That's one sweet unit! Smile I did tell you about my several nice "fox" items, didn't I? Smile

Many thanks and best regards!

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/29/2007 01:34 AM
Sublime!
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 09/29/2007 10:06 AM
Gentlemen

Thanks for your comments.

I'll try to post more detail photos of this Baden piece as soon as possible.

Bill,I definitely remember that outstanding little "fuchs und fuchsin" pommel knickmesser... and would love to see a thread ( or PM Wink ) on any, or all, of your "fox" stuff.
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/01/2007 08:58 PM
Ok...just for Bill Big Grin ... closeups of clamshell,pommel,& reverse hilt/mm.

Description: clamshell
Attached picture clamshell-1.jpg
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/01/2007 08:59 PM
pommel

Description: 2
Attached picture pommel-2.jpg
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/01/2007 09:02 PM
Eickhorn logo

Description: 3
Attached picture revhilt-3.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/01/2007 09:44 PM
Roger,

Thanks for that mate, you're a class act! Wink

Are you going to Pittsburgh? If you bring this for me to take a gander at I'll bring the fox-twins for you, and a couple others. Cool Big Grin

This is as good as it gets, the cream-of-the-crop when it comes to Solingen hardware.

Let me know OK? Smile

W~

Ps Gary, I hope you and JR see this before you come to the show..? It fills one with the giddies ... you never know what'll turn up, eh??
Have a good, safe flight, boys, over, and out...
Posted By: pvon Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/01/2007 09:49 PM
A beauty Roger

PVON
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/02/2007 03:14 PM
Roger,
It's just stupendous, it's a pattern that I'm sure we would all like to find and especially in such great condition, thanks for the extra pictures, I would think that one is quite late for one of these, early 1930's looking at that mark, even in such times of hardship that all of Europe were going through at that time still they put such a heavy coat of gilt on the piece, no scrimpimg for a piece so important. Great to see it.

Bill, will see you tomorrow, I'm hyped for the Max this year, wait to you see the Eickhorn Deluxe.

Cheers

Gary
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/02/2007 07:20 PM
That certainly is a beauty and would be the hallmark of almost any collection!
Posted By: Mikee Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/03/2007 03:22 AM
Very nice indeed, Congratulations.
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/08/2007 01:22 PM
I got to see this piece at the Max and it's probably one of the best pieces I have ever seen, the gilt on it is to die for, just seeing it and meeting Roger was one of the highlights of a great Max show for me. Thanks for bringing it Roger, it was a real treat.

Gary
Posted By: WWII Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/08/2007 02:16 PM
Roger,

I second the motion ... Smile

A pleasure to meet you good sir !

Bill
Posted By: foxart Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 10/09/2007 04:15 PM
Everyone...
again, thank you for the compliments on the Baden hunting piece.

And, as has been said numerous times before on this forum, actually meeting the friendly and knowledgeable GDC members like Bill, Gary, Houston, et al, at the shows adds a pleasant new dimension to attending these events.
Posted By: C. Wetzel-20609 Re: Baden Hunting Cutlass - 12/06/2022 05:27 AM
From "Period Reference" thread this looks like Eickhorn Nr. 913
© Your new forums