UBB.threads
Posted By: Chief82 Hunting/Shooting Hirschfanger - 04/12/2018 04:37 PM
I have this Hirschfanger by Horster. The blade has both Shooting (target) and Hunting (game) scenes. I have not identified the meaning of the Clam Shell as shown. I would welcome any input.

Attached picture Shooting1.jpg
Attached picture Shooting2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Re: Hunting/Shooting Hirschfanger - 04/12/2018 05:59 PM
From the cross on the clam shell, I would guess Swiss.

More photos would help.

Dave
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting/Shooting Hirschfanger - 04/14/2018 12:27 PM
Try St Sebastianus Sch?tzenbruderschaft, I have one similar but in brass finish made by Horster.

Dave, can you move this to the hunting forum.

Gary
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting/Shooting Hirschfanger - 04/14/2018 04:15 PM
Chief
Here's mine, it looks like its exactly the same as yours but in brass, mine is triple marked including on the spine by Horster. A very long piece, overall 25" long with a 19" blade. I believe mine to be pre 1933 probably circa 1920-32, personally I do not believe these went into the 3rd Reich period, it just does not have any of those traits though I have seen these Horster marks on later pieces. As a rule most shooting pieces of this type will have very plain scabbard fittings with little or no scalloping to the edges as is the case with mine.

Gary

Attached picture 1 - 1.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 3.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 5.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 1 (1).jpg
Attached picture 1 - 4.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 6.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 11.jpg
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Hunting/Shooting Hirschfanger - 04/14/2018 05:30 PM
Thank you Gary. Mine is brass also. My photo is deceiving. It is also triple etched with but without the Horster on the spine. The measurements are also the same as yours and the scabbard has plain fittings as you describe. I will try to research the St, Sebastianus Shutzenbrudreschaft. Thanks again.

Chief
© Your new forums