UBB.threads
Posted By: Rommy Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 12:01 PM
Hi guys.
Please your opinion about this cutclass.
Thanks.

Attached picture mar11-1043.jpg
Attached picture mar11-1042.jpg
Attached picture mar11-1047.jpg
Attached picture mar11-1051.jpg
Attached picture mar11-1049.jpg
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 01:58 PM
This is Forestry Model 1712 listed in the Eickhorn Kundendienst.

I like the 42 over shoulder TM on it. It looks to be in great shape.

The only thing that I am questioning on it is what looks like the fit between the grip plates (front and back) and the ferrule. The pics show a gap that really shouldn't be there.

I would like to see better shots of this. Could be just the angle the original pics were taken.

John
Posted By: A J Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 02:45 PM
Is that an accepted version of the post 42 Eickhorn TM?
No "original" two front paws,position of eye and roundish head instead of having detailed pointed nose and large E in Eickhorn from pre 41 TM
Posted By: WWII Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 05:20 PM
Rommy,

As John pointed out there's a fair-size gap at the lower end of the stag grip plates at the crossguard. Most times these fit like a glove. The horn itself looks original and has some fine color and age toning. Could it be the angle of the photos and original cut that emphasises this gap? not sure..?

A couple of straight, head-on photographs should clear up that issue. The patina and wear to the finish are also consistent with proper age. All in all, it seems to be a nice looking example of an original, pre-1945 Eickhorn forestry Hirschfänger.

Did you buy it or are you thinking of buying? Thanks for letting us have a look.

Regards,

Bill
Posted By: Rommy Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 06:25 PM
Bill, at this moment I have only this two pics. It has come from a T.Wittmann store approximately one year ago and is not in my hands right now.
Thanks.
Rommy

Attached picture mar11-1046.jpg
Attached picture mar11-1044.jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 06:43 PM
Nowt wrong with this piece, typical Eickhorn post 41 item, lightweight fittings which are losing the gilt finish, scabbard fittings should be magnetic, I wouldn't worry too much regarding the gap, I've seen this before,the stag grips have aged nicely, nice golden accents where they were cut to fit the hilt, acorns are correct, stamped mark on blade,smooth backgroud to the clamshell, correct number of antlers on lower fitting, everything seems right to me. Nice blade but very typically the finish is wearing on the fittings.

Gary
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/01/2011 10:17 PM
Baz is de Man... if he says the fit is ok, then I would go with that.

The maker mark is fine.. here is mine on the 1713 forestry deluxe cutlass.

John

Attached picture TM 42 Over Shoulder.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/02/2011 09:07 AM
R,

Agreed, Baz knows Hirschfänger ... wink

Best!

Bill
Posted By: A J Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/02/2011 09:30 AM
Thanks for clarification on the TM not seen that one before
Posted By: Rommy Re: Deluxe Subordinate Cutlass - 04/02/2011 10:09 AM
John, A J, Bill, Gary - THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!
© Your new forums