UBB.threads
Posted By: Mikee Russian Hirschfanger - 08/30/2007 10:29 PM
Are Russian Hirschfangers similar in appearance to German Hirschfangers. I've seen two types of daggers that were described or called Russian Hunting daggers, so I don't know. One looked similar to a German Hirschfanger,the other looked Russian, but just didn't have the looks of a hunting type dagager. Rarity? Thought I saw a book on the subject somewhere, should have bought it. Thanks
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 08/31/2007 06:44 PM
An Imperial Russian official's sword of German manufacture and general appearance, there are also Imperial Russian officer�s swords of German manufacture.

Prior to WW I there was a reasonable amount of commerce between the countries. And I would imagine that Germanic style Hirschfangers would not be particularly unusual - although there are not my specialty. FP

Attached picture Imp-Rus-Ofc.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/01/2007 05:57 AM
FP,

Interesting. Thanks again, Geez thats a sharp looking sword!
The Russian Hirschfanger had the double headed eagle on the ricasso, looked like a maker mark. I have pictures somewhere. I will post some pictures when I find them.
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/03/2007 02:27 AM
Mikee...Check the web pages.
Sincerely,
HUBERTUS

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/03/hm3_4.html
Posted By: Mikee Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/03/2007 08:43 PM
Hi Ralph,
Thanks, different types I guess. Looks like a Bear Head.

Attached picture Russian-Hirschfanger-Bear-h.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/04/2007 12:28 AM
Not so fast Mikee, bell are ringing.
Go to Hermanns Last Auction number 52 on page 229 is a picture of the same dagger that sold for 50,000 euro's.
RUSSLAND ZARENREICH
Lot Nr.5715

A model 1855 courtly hunting hanger,

St. Petersburg, dated 1882. Heavy single-edged blade with a fuller on one side and a double-edged point. The Cyrillic maker's inscription "Schaf & Sons, St. Petersburg" is on the obverse side of the ricasso. The reverse side is etched with the double eagle and the date, "1882". The brass quillons have hoof shaped finials. Painted staghorn grip. The pommel sculpted as a bear head. Leather covered wooden scabbard with brass mountings and frog. Length 54 cm.
Cf. A.N. Kulinsky, Russische Blankwaffen, St. Petersburg 2005, p. 311.

Condition: II Limit: 1500 EURO 50000 EURO

I do not think the picture will print off of it but the above text did.
Sincerely,
HUBERTUS
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/04/2007 07:03 PM
As part of a series of reforms begun under Peter the Great - Russia embarked upon an aggressive modernization program to update its arms making. Later encouraging Germans to migrate so that their skills could be imparted to Russian workers.

Schaf (or much more likely Schaaf) almost certainly can be traced to Nicholas Schaaf a German �migr�. Who founded the well renowned sword factory at St. Petersburg after moving there from Zlatoust, which was a major manufacturing center for swords for the Imperial Russian Army.

Perhaps better known for army officer�s swords it would seem that Schaaf and/or his descendants branched out into civilian sector sidearms as well. FP
Posted By: Mikee Re: Russian Hirschfanger - 09/06/2007 04:49 AM
Ralph, FP,

Once again,thanks for all the great information.
© Your new forums