UBB.threads
Posted By: Houston Coates Falconry Items - 01/15/2006 06:41 PM
The Falconry Organization was a very small unit of the DJ. Their items are almost never seen. These two things are all I have found. The medal is 800 silver with silver proofs with a gilt finish.

Attached picture P1150001.JPG_Falconry_1.jpg
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Falconry Items - 01/15/2006 06:41 PM

Attached picture P1150002.JPG_Falconry_medal.jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Falconry Items - 01/15/2006 06:49 PM
Absolutely stunning items Houston, I have a couple books that mention Falconry but I have never seen anything related to it.I reckon this is about as rare as it gets.

Thanks

Gary
Posted By: Dave Re: Falconry Items - 01/15/2006 09:52 PM
I sure learn a lot looking at the various areas of GDC.

Falconry? Anybody know more about that interesting subject ?

Dave
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 01:18 AM
Houston,

Thanks for showing these fascinating and unique gems. I'll keep an eye out.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 03:15 AM
Fascinating stuff Houston. I like the armband.

Mark Cool
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 09:09 AM
Houston,

That armband is surely a rare treat to see, wow!
I've kept an eye open for years and never found
anything related to this small and elite group of hunters. These things are as scarce as hawk's teeth! Big Grin

I'm not certain that the shooting award has anything to do with the DFO per say. I'm more inclined to think that it was presented to the "Golden Shooting King" from a Schützenverein
named "The Falcons." Whatever the case may be it's a fine unit, no doubt about that!

Considering scarcity, that band has to be one of the rarest things I've seen in a long, long time. If one compares it to the field of collecting medals it would make original Knight's Crosses and Goldene Nahkampfspangen ordinary and commonplace - now that's rare! Smile

Thanks for letting us have a look!

Bill
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 01:59 PM
I don't know about the medal-perhaps you are right-but I never heard of a shooting club having a name like that -usually named after a person or place. There is a rarer armband-one with the swastika added-but I never have seen one-or any other Falconry thing.
Posted By: lar Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 05:19 PM
Houston, Now that is a really excellent piece!! That armband is just beutiful. I have a book that has a picture of a man from a Falconry club , displaying a couple of his bird, while collecting for winter relief. Alway wondered why nothing much is mention about this small area of the DJ. If you have any other Falcony stuff, please post it.
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Falconry Items - 01/16/2006 07:13 PM
Absolutely awsome,
I never knew such an organizatino existed! Thanks!
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: Falconry Items - 12/08/2007 04:28 AM
quote:
Falconry? Anybody know more about that interesting subject ?

Dave

Dave,

My friend and I are very avid fans and participants of falconry. I did not expect many here to know of the art, honestly. We both have amongst ourselves (2) Golden eagles, and (1) Red-tailed hawk. Personally, I am not into hunting (although, I do understand it's purpose in today's world), but I do enjoy the excitement of handling and watching these magnificent birds doing what comes natural to themselves . . .

Some day if you come to the Cincinnati area, maybe we can take you on an afternoon treat and let you handle the birds - it is trly something to witness and participate in!

Brad

P.S. My friend, Keith, has survived "rabbit fever" from one of our hunts, so if and when you may come to see the thrill, please understand his predispostion with paranoia and cleanliness . . . not a bad thing, but still quite hard to comprehend the first time you come around . . .
Posted By: fatguy Re: Falconry Items - 12/08/2007 02:54 PM
As always.....Houston ....a great and interesting post....and super rare stuff..

Thanks for the showing....

Happy Holidays.....

Attached picture reindeerlights.gif
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: Falconry Items - 12/08/2007 10:24 PM
Galien sold a Falconry AM about 2 years ago, I've wanted one ever since....
As always a treat to see your stuff.
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Falconry Items - 03/14/2008 04:04 PM
You may be interested in this rare 1930s German Falconry Tunic from my Forestry/Hunting Collection.

Attached picture falconry1.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Falconry Items - 03/14/2008 07:52 PM
BRAD,
Didn,t understand the bit about Keith and rabbit fever.
We use a Harris Hawk for rabbits.
Regards JOHN
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Falconry Items - 03/14/2008 09:35 PM
Hi Chief--Welcome to the forum. Looks like a very nice rig--could we see a photo of the collar tabs, sleeve patch, shoulder boards, medal ? Thanks
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Falconry Items - 03/14/2008 10:59 PM
Here are two more photos of the 1930s Falconry Tunic as requested. Thanks to all for your comments and emails. Sorry its not for sale at this time.

Attached picture P1010054.JPG
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Falconry Items - 03/14/2008 11:01 PM
Here is a closeup of the Falconry insignia.

Attached picture falconry3.jpg
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Falconry Items - 03/15/2008 02:16 AM
Very unusual. Thanks for showing it.
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: Falconry Items - 05/22/2008 07:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LEGSjm:
BRAD,
Didn,t understand the bit about Keith and rabbit fever.
We use a Harris Hawk for rabbits.
Regards JOHN

Check out "Tularemia" on Google - it's kind of like food poisoning for rabbit hunters . . . Keith's got very away from him, and he almost died in the hospital - reputedly the worst case on local record. Stuck himself in the hand with a knife while cleaning a rabbit, and he said it was all downhill from there . . .

I hear the Harris hawk is quite magnificent too. Since I last posted, apparently Keith has sent both Golden Eagles to be released back into their native habitat (they were actually "re-hab" birds injured by hunters). Now he is left only with his Red-tail and a couple of other types I know nothing about, but I'm sure it wouldn't be any trouble getting him to consider a Harris or two - he certainly does have the capacity and capability!

In addition since my last post, I have parted from helping Keith out on his trips any longer - he has become subject to much more strict local regulation, and it's better for him if he goes it alone for now . . .

P.S. Love the falconry patch on that tunic!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Falconry Items - 05/22/2008 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info.Very informative.Have never heard of it before now.
All the best.
Regards JOHN
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 12/27/2009 11:25 PM
That stunning gold shooting award of Houston's is a gold shooting award. They were made in the three typical categories of gold, silver and bronze shooting awards, hence the word Goldener on Houston's splendid example. If it were the silver award it would read Silbener and the bronze award would read Bronzener and the name of the shooting club is Die Falken. Along with the shooting target and Schutzen Konig which are part of the shooting traditions. Without a doubt a shooting award.
Posted By: jager Re: Falconry Items - 12/28/2009 11:43 PM
I have looked for past ten years for Falconry items and do not have even one piece to show off. Rare is not the correct description for these wonderful items. I have advertised in numerous magazines and publications, yet 0 response. You folks that have the nice pieces shown- congratulations and thanks a million for showing. Happy new year. James
Posted By: Habicht Re: Falconry Items - 12/29/2009 10:29 PM
Good day. I am new to this forum so I will proceed with some caution. I believe that the first item shown is actually a sleeve patch sewn to an arm band and is of the post 1945 era. After "Gleichschaltung" the DFO arm badge bore a prominent Swastika.

The very fine shooting badge, while a nice piece, has nothing to do with falconry.
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Falconry Items - 12/30/2009 12:09 AM
Please advise of your reference material as little is found. I would be interested in more information on this subject. See my 1930s tunic on the same page.
Posted By: Habicht Re: Falconry Items - 12/30/2009 01:51 AM
Chief82, I actively practiced falconry from 1966 until a couple of years ago. I lived in Germany from 1970 through 1972 and hawked constantly and was a member of the DFO. As a member of the DFO I hawked in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands, though the Dutch club was not taken with the German club nor my membership in it.

I have dabbled in German militaria and historical political items since I was a boy in the 1950's. I am also a graduate with a major in history. My focus was 20th Century German political History. I believe that I know the subject well.

While in Germany I hunted(hawked) with and was sponsored by several elder gentlemen who were former party members and who shared a great deal of the DFO's history with me. Among these elders of the club was a renowned sporting/wildlife artist who did a famous portrait of Herman Goering with a peregrine falcon on his fist. Goering was the honorary master of the DFO.

You have some great and rare items but I fear they are not from the period of the THird Reich. The 1930's hunting tunic is very nice but I suspect that the arm badge is dated after 1970 when the DFO changed the logo.

I know that this is a hell of a way to join a new internet forum but I tend to write what I believe to be correct and hope that all accept it as an honest expression. If I am wrong in anything I have stated I will quickly admit my error.

An old photo of me in Mittelfranken on a hare hunt.

Attached picture Agoshawk.jpg
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Falconry Items - 12/30/2009 02:27 AM
Thank you for your comments. Feel free to express your interest and information with everyone. We all learn from each other and then make an informed decision.
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/25/2010 08:35 PM
Gents,

It's been a good long while since we've had something new in this category, has anyone found anything related to this specialized area?

I found this porcelain falconer a good while ago and just recently had it professionally restored - the bird's wing tips were slightly
chipped and the dagger has been restored.

There are just a few falconry-related porcelains out there, hope you might enjoy this one ... Wink

Best!

Bill

Attached picture falconer1sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/25/2010 08:36 PM
2/3

Attached picture falconer3sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/25/2010 08:36 PM
3/3

Attached picture falconer2sm.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 04/26/2010 04:56 AM
Bill,

Thanks for showing it and always a pleasure seeing your things. Mine is almost identical to yours and I've also enjoyed mine for many years. Best. Smile

Attached picture hunting_stuff.jpg
Posted By: Dean Perdue Re: Falconry Items - 04/26/2010 05:16 AM
Really nice Bill.Do you know who made it or something about the artist?
Mikee-Thats an incredible display.
Posted By: Habicht Re: Falconry Items - 04/26/2010 03:38 PM
Who is the maker?
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/26/2010 07:40 PM
Mikee,

Now that's a tasteful display, well done mate!
How is yours marked and would you by chance know the artist?

Dean u. Habicht,

This nice figure is made by Alka Kunst and mine is marked, "Made in Western Germany." I've seen these come up now and then on eBay, but be careful as most are broken in one way or another. Don't know who the artist was or when it was originally sculpted? Should one of you be interested in buying my example, drop me a line and we'll try to work something out... bbwarda@aol.com

Best!

Bill
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 06:21 PM
Bill,

Both pieces are made by the same company. Yours being earlier marked, but not by much. Mine is marked Kaiser and the artist is Bochman. Luckily it has never been damaged, but can see how easy it is for damage to occur on one of these delicate pieces. I have seen much earlier pieces and perhaps by a different maker but for the life of me I can't recall which one at the moment and I'll have to sit and think about it. Here's a related item I came across some years ago and thought you might like seeing a picture of it. Best.

Attached picture Ivory-powder-flask.jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 07:20 PM
Such beautiful items being shown here, thanks for the peek.

Gary
Posted By: Habicht Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 08:05 PM
Really nicely executed. What is the material?
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 10:05 PM
Mikee,

It's always great to see items from your collection, always top-notch material! Wink
What's more, I always learn something from your research and keen understanding of "things German."

Your latest post is simply a knockout and knowing your taste a little, it must be ivory,
right? That's the most incredible thing I've seen in some time, this is very primo material. Is there any chance you could post a couple more snaps and let us know the size ... Big Grin Cool

That's a definte wow, Mikee .. thanks! Eek Smile

W~
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 11:57 PM
Dean, Thanks and glad you like it.

Bill ,Thanks and coming from you that's a real compliment and wish I had this one, but I do know were it is. Big Grin It's indeed made of ivory and fairly large, about seven by four, but there's more to enjoy of this cased set. Best!

Attached picture Ivory-powder-flask2.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 04/29/2010 11:58 PM

Attached picture Ivory-powder-flask3.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Falconry Items - 04/30/2010 10:53 AM
Mr. Mikee,

Zounds!!! Eek Eek Eek

B~
Posted By: Mikee Re: Falconry Items - 05/04/2010 09:13 PM
I have a pair of Falcons that have nested for many years at my house. I know every year when the eggs are laid. They let me know real quick if I get to close and I have to keep my head on a swivel, if not I get to feel those power talons across the top of my head. One caught me today. It's all in fun! Smile
© Your new forums