UBB.threads
Posted By: Houston Coates Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/22/2005 11:36 PM
Here are some photos of my uniform, The shirt and tie are not original. It is my understanding that the Gaujagermeister was a professional member/Official of the Hunting Association and was in charge of all Hunting activities in his Gau. His signature can be found on all Hunting licenses. He no doubt coordinated with Forestry Officials who were the game wardens. Notice his membership badge that is sewn on the left pocket--I assume this is the correct position. All Hunting Assn. uniforms are very rare and there is VERY little reference material available. Also notice that the collar insignia is sewn right into the collar-no tabs. Rank is about equal to a Colonel.

Attached picture P4220001.JPG_Gaujagermeister_1.jpg
Notice that the uniform and hat are grey and green unlike a Forestry uniform that is green. Also notice the special hat insignia. On his tie he wears a Jager Loyalty pin with swastika. The shoulder boards are green and silver. This is an early uniform-about 1935.

The collar insignia was revised at least twice in later years.

Attached picture P4220002.JPG_Gaujagermeister_2.jpg
Here is a really neat little hunting horn with lanyard and button hole hunting horn clip. On the little horn (that is made of horn) is a pinned on silver Royal Cipher with a C. These little horns and bigger horns were used to flush the game animals out of the woods into the glen where the hunters waited. Not too sporting to my way of thinking. I really like this little horn though. It was found in Germany by a good friend and passed on to me.

Attached picture P4220004.JPG_Gaujagermeister_3.jpg
On his right side he wears another horn-a small brass coiled one with the insignia of the Hunting Assn. on it. These little horns are quite scarce and were used for presentation purposes and may have also been used in the field.

Attached picture P4220006.JPG_Gaujagermeister_5.jpg
On his left upper sleeve he wears the hand made bullion insignia of the Hunting Assn.

Attached picture P4220009.JPG_Gaujagermeister_6.jpg
Close-up of the small horn and Royal Cipher.

Attached picture P4220005.JPG_Gaujermeister_4.jpg
Don't cha just love this stuff? Smile
Posted By: Aaron Buck Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 12:46 AM
SPECTACULAR!!!! Eek
Posted By: Eric Hall Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 12:59 AM
Beautifull Tunic Houston, Smile
Can we see more of the faenger?
Posted By: B�rse Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 01:43 AM
I have never seen all the uniform items displayed together in a complete set before Houston. It looks fantastic--better than any museum.
Posted By: pvon Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 04:04 AM
Very nice Houston!

PVON
Posted By: Mikee Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 09:20 AM
Houston, Good night! Unguestionably spectacular and talk about whistles and bells, they set that uniform off. Darn straight I love it!
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 12:48 PM
Houston,

Thankyou for sharing this lovely set up for us to see.

May we see a closer shot of the round cap badge & tie pin please?

Thanks
Don
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 03:09 PM
A STRONG AND POWERFUL UNIFORM
Who would want to be caught poaching and have to face and officer in a uniform like the one you have shown.
Many thanks,
Hubertus

P.S. That�s what it is all about isn�t it? Protecting the game animals.
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/23/2005 06:20 PM
Houston,
That`s a real looker ! Eek
Here is the Jager Loyalty pin in its original box. There are no markings on the back.

Attached picture P1010001.JPG_Jager_Pin.jpg
Here is the Hunting Dagger on the uniform. It is a rare Anton Wingen Jr. with an etch that is believed to be exclusive to Anton Wingen Jr. pieces. AW Jr. is known to have made other generic etch patterns but this one is special.

Attached picture P1010002.JPG_Anton_Wingen_1.jpg
Obverse Pattern

Attached picture P1010004.JPG_Anton_Wingen_2.jpg
Reverse Etch

Attached picture P1010005.JPG_Anton_Wingen_3.jpg
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/24/2005 10:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
Here is the Jager Loyalty pin in its original box. There are no markings on the back.

I've never seen this pin before, it's a real beauty......

Thanks for posting it.

Cheers
Don
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/24/2005 11:45 AM
Wish I had room for collecting uniforms, this one would be on top of my wish list, along with that beautiful hirschf�nger, never seen that etch pattern before, could you post pictures of the full etch on each side of the blade. The loyalty pins are difficult to find, but when you add the original box, it becomes extremely rare, there is another type to the pin Houston shows, whether this is from the Weimar/Imperial periods I'm not sure but I should think so. I'm sure it does not get much better than this whole ensemble, thanks for showing Houston.

Gary

Attached picture Jagertruer_badge.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/28/2005 02:56 AM
Uniform accessory collecting is a hobby in itself. There seem to be quite few different type of DJ uniform emblems, also pins and buttons. Houston has opened the door to show you all the items that can keep you busy at the shows etc and create a great addition to your hobby.
GOLD AND SILVER BULLION INSIGNAS

Attached picture HC4.27.b.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/28/2005 03:05 AM
Emblems on the vest I wear at the Max Show each year. No one ever saw them in the drawer.

Attached picture HC4.27h.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/28/2005 03:08 AM
They seem to come in all shapes and sizes.

Attached picture HC.4.27a.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/28/2005 03:19 AM
The isles of the Gun and Military shows are full of items in the nooks and crannies if you slow down and look. I found a book from a MAX Dealer that is the life of a DJ hunter that is full of pictures of his hunts and every bit of game he killed from 1938 thru 1954 is listed in it. He had this DJ Silver bullion emblem glued to one of the pages. I do not speak of read German so most of it is a loss until? He said on one of the notes on one of the pages.."Germany has lost the war. it is a shame."

Attached picture HC4.27.f.jpg
Posted By: Hubertus Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/28/2005 03:33 AM
A plain emblem.
I do not know he different types of uniforms these are connected with.
If you care to see the Large DG flag I have posted a picture in the FLAGS AND BANNER FORUM 03 MARCH 2005 under HUNTING LODGE that came from the DJ Diary book mentioned above.

Attached picture HC4.27c.jpg
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 04/30/2005 01:09 PM
Some excellent insignia Hubertus.

Thanks for showing it

Cheers
Don
Posted By: WWII Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 05/01/2005 08:18 AM
Houston & Ralph,

Thanks so much for sharing your collections with us - it�s a genuine treat to feast one�s eyes on such remarkable rarities! I hope our fellow forumites can appreciate just how difficult it is to find items of this caliber these days?

Much continued success to both of you!

Bill
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 05/01/2005 03:09 PM
It`s all beautiful merchandise and that dagger Houston is something else! Someone metioned they needed more room for their displays. That I`ve got plenty of. What I don`t have is enough $dough$. Eek Big Grin
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/17/2006 05:22 PM
I think this is the thread to tag these baby's on, not only do I think that this uniform deserves another viewing, I also think these two are a little special. I love collecting badges and medals in their original boxes, just seems to add that something special.

Gary

Attached picture Medals_and_Badges_006_(Small).jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/17/2006 05:23 PM
Inside is better

Attached picture Medals_and_Badges_002_(Small).jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/17/2006 05:24 PM
The large cross is marked Polleath on the rear, the stickpin is unmarked.

Attached picture Medals_and_Badges_004_(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/17/2006 05:25 PM
stickpin

Attached picture Medals_and_Badges_005_(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/17/2006 10:37 PM
Very nice Gary.

I especially like the stickpin Cool. I also try to obtain items in there original cases where possible. As you say, it adds that special something.

Thanks for showing these.

Cheers
Don
Posted By: Kolibri Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/18/2006 10:16 AM
Baz,

to your stickpin and the cross: We have a old association for retired soldiers of the "J�gerbataillone", the "Deutsche J�gerbund". This J�gerbund uses the emblem of the imperial badge "J�gerschie�preis" - wich is shown on your stickpin an cross. I presume, that both items are given by this association. So I think, it is not from a hunting association, but from a veterans associations of retired soldiers.

Best regards

Kolibri
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/18/2006 02:32 PM
Kolibri

Thanks for the information, if this badge is given by the Krieger Verein then was it given out as a loyalty award as has been stated.

Gary
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/18/2006 02:55 PM
I have just been looking in my books, these badges are giving by the Deutsche J�gerbund (DJB). I have not seen the cross version of this award, i'm presuming that without it having the swastika it would be of the earlier Imperial/Weimar period.

Gary
These military veteran awards are often confused with the Hunting Assn. badges. I just wonder what type veteran badges may be current or post war and if they are any different than the Weimar types. Also -I wonder about the type of box the cross is in. If this is a spring type lid I would say it may be post WWII

I have always understood-although it may be incorrect- that there was a post WWI requirement that Forestry Officials served in the jager military units of WWI. Perhaps someone can clear this up and explain the relationship--if any.
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/18/2006 05:19 PM
Houston, Why are the spring type boxes possibly post war, the cross is in a box without any type of spring, I'm also not sure if this type of badge was produced post war, I'm not sure if we will ever find out the answer to this question.

Gary
Well Gary-maybe not -but I'm sure some of our German friends know or could find out. It would be nice to know. I am no medal box expert but I don't think most period boxes have springs.
Posted By: Kolibri Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/19/2006 08:41 AM
Gary and Houston,

the "Deutsche J�gerbund was founded in 1922. Here are some links in german language.

http://www.infanterie-bund.de/Vereinsgeschichte.htm

http://www.flensburgerjaeger.de/sites/chronik.php

http://www.sammlerhaus-koethen.de/NEU/F_ztg.htm

The "Deutsche J�gerbund" was not the same as the "Reichsbund Deutsche J�ger".

I am sure, that Garys cross was given between 1922 and 1933 in this box. After 1945 there were no awards in such kind, I for myself have never seen more as a membership pin out of the post war area.

Regards

Kolibri
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/19/2006 02:51 PM
Hi Kolibri

Thanks for clearing up this dilema, I had a feeling that this design was not used post war. Appreciate the links also.

Thanks

Gary
Thanks Kolibri-wish I could read that-its very frustrating to collect German items and not be able to read much about them. I think I detect something in there about a relationship with the Forestry Service as I indicated above. It is also interesting to note that the WWII era Deutsches Jagerschaft is post war called the Deutsches Jager Verband--so what is the Reichsbund Deutsches Jager Verband? Is that the same thing?
Posted By: JoeW Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 08/25/2007 03:07 AM
Houston, I came across this thread in search of another topic, but I tought I would add this link to a thread on the WAF dealing with a similar tunic.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226541&page=2

Because of the appearance and relative position of tunics with similar collar insignia at a Jaegerschaft meeting attended by Theo Croneiss who was the Gau Jaegermeister, we have concluded that the two oakleaf tabs are Kreis Jaegermeisters.
The insignia was changed several times. I believe it depends on the year and the number of acorns etc. This is an area we don't know a whole lot about yet and it is quite complex.
Houston .......Fantastic Uniform - It doesn't get much Better + it's so complete in accessories!!!!!

I too enjoy Hunting & Shooting themselves, and the actual collection of related TR Items.

Here's a TR Period (? 1940) Tailor's Catalog which outlines the cutting pattern & dimensions of a Uniformvorschrift fur die Deutsche Jagerschaft, with some ranks / emblems. (Also WISH that I'd learned to Speak / Read German in School Frown )

Dave / dblmed

Attached picture Hunting-Tailor-Book-W.jpg
Next up are some TR Hunting Licenses!

The Kreis or Gau Master Jagermeiste may not have needed one - but everone else did!!

The Description, when purcahsed by me: ...."Rare Year Round "Inl�nder Jahresjagdschein" (Domestic Hunting License) for Karl Keller
A really unique item, this domestic hunting license permitted Keller to hunt anywhere in Germany, targeting the game listed (on the inside front page � see photo) as being "in season". The license was valid for the entire year � 1 April 1939 to 31 March 1940, and notes that Keller belonged to the City of K�ln�s (Cologne) hunting area (Jagdkreis). It also notes that the license holder "is a member of the National League (Reichsbundes) of the "Deutsche J�gersch�ft" and had paid his annual membership dues. The license is somewhat yellowed, but otherwise in pretty good condition with a clear photo of a very well-fed Keller. The card has been folded in half and has one bent corner, but overall looks pretty sharp, complete with all the hunting regulations for handling weapons, actions in a blind, etc........"

Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Hunting_License-1.jpg
Hunting License - Page 2 of 3

This part showed the Game which was allowable to be hunted, and the Time / Season. Dave

Attached picture Hunting-License-2-W.jpg
Hunting License - Page 3 of 3

This part of the License showed the Documentary Stamps & the Cost .50 RM + 10.50 RM & the 'fine print...' Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Nazi-Hunting-License-3-W.jpg
Next up is a LATE War Hunting License
May, 1944 - March, 1945 !!

Yes, Hunters are persistent - but this Jager was also quite an Optimist! #1 Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Jadger_Permit-1.jpg
Reverse Side of 2nd License - clearly showing the late war dates.. Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Jadger_Permit-2.jpg
Next up is a Numbered Jager Pin (which I got bought John T. & haven't retaken the PhotosSmile ) FRONT SIDE ........Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Game-Keeper_Bdge-1.jpg
REVERSE of Numbered Jager Pin......Dave/dblmed

Attached picture Game-Keeper_Bdge-2.jpg
Next up (as I am informed) is a 'Hunting Master' Aguillette.
I'll defer to those more knowledgeable, for its accuracy ....Dave/dblmed

# 1 of 3

Attached picture 1-Hunting_Shoulder_Aguiette.jpg
'Hunting Master' Aguillette. Dave/dblmed

# 2 of 3

Attached picture 2-Hunting_Shoulder_Aguiette.jpg
'Hunting Master' Aguillette.

# 3 of 3

Hopefully these 'ancillary' Postings will just add to the aura surrounding the Fabulous Uniform which Houston posted!

I enjoy Sharing & Learing, so 'if' I missed on any descriptions .... I want to learn what the 'right' description is!!! Txs, Dave / dblmed

Attached picture 3-Hunting_Shoulder_Aguiette.jpg
Houston ...... Maybe some answers her........

1934 'Tailor Book' with DJ Specifications........

I've sent this Jpeg + the whole page to you & Joe Wotka for your review.

I 'believe' that the RANK Question can now be answered (at least for the time frame of 1934..... on Page 2) Dave/dblmed

Attached picture DJ-Cover-Page-1934-GDC.jpg
1934 DJ 'Tailor Book' Specifications

1934 DJ 'Tailor Book' Specifications........

This is the "MONEY" Page .... here is ALL of the RANK Information ...in Deutsche....

I 'believe' that the RANK Question can now be answered (at least for the time frame of 1934) Dave/dblmed

Attached picture DJ-Ranks-1934-GDC.jpg
Hi Dave--Thanks for the posts. The cord you show is a shooting cord and has nothing to do with the DJ. I also have the 1934 ranks but they were changed several times over the years and I don't have a complete set. Also only some of the ranks have illustrations.
Thanks Houston, ....I tried to 'Hide/Delete' the Shooting Cords - but they keep 'coming back?'

I see what you mean Regarding your Uniform DJ Collar RANK - as it has two (2) Oak Leaves + two (2) Acorns. So, this RANK Set, as noted, was not a part of the 1934 Referenced Schneiderei Printing. What Time Frame do you believe it is? Txs, Dave/dblmed
I am not certain. I am trying to find all the changes-very difficult to do.
Posted By: Chief82 Re: Hunting Assn. Gaujagermeister Uniform - 03/21/2008 04:24 PM
Beautiful Gau Uniform Here is mine--more of a light weight, field tunic of duck-like material apparently somewhat water-resistant. The hat is unusual although I have seen one other like it in the forums. It is named inside the leather sweatband. The belt is Forestry. I have started a small thread on Forestry and Hunting (before I found this one)in the Misc Uniform area.

Attached picture hunting11.jpg
© Your new forums