UBB.threads
Posted By: TimL Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 11/22/2009 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some comments about the markings on the crossguard of this FM bayonet. It's a near mint Horster with FFG on one side of the crossguard, and 44 on the other. The throat of the scabbard is marked 815.

Thanks

Attached picture ffg5.jpg
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 11/22/2009 09:46 PM
FFG

Attached picture ffg12.jpg
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 11/22/2009 09:47 PM
throat 815

Attached picture ffg20.jpg
I'll let Billy G. (the Fire bayonet expert) help you on your marked bayonet. I do know the scabbard number is a product or part number. I have several of these marked scabbards.
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 11/23/2009 06:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TKissinger:
I'll let Billy G. (the Fire bayonet expert) help you on your marked bayonet. I do know the scabbard number is a product or part number. I have several of these marked scabbards.

Thanks for the info on the scabbard number.
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/07/2009 04:15 PM
anyone?
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/08/2009 03:34 AM
Hi Tim,

Sorry, I've been out & about & completely missed your thread. I've seen this "FFG" mark once or twice before & presume the "FF" is for volunteer fire department & the "G" is for the town in question. Unfortunately there's no way at this point for us to know just which town this is. Any unit marked fire bayonet is scarce IMHO.

The 815 on scabbard is a commonly seen stamping. The general consensus is that this is a part number for the scabbard manufacturer & not part of an inventory number. Sometimes the 8 will be partially stamped making it look like 315.

Feller GD'er William Jabour has a similarly marked Horster with "FFG". William's also has a similarly marked frog. This piece came off Eban, right? If so I think you got a pretty good deal, from memory.
Posted By: AndyB Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/08/2009 07:10 AM
Hello, Your piece could be marked with Freiwillige Feuerschutzpolizei (Feuerwehr) Gumbinnen or other location started with G? best regards,Andy
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/09/2009 06:34 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I did a search before posting and I didn't find any other examples, do you remember seeing one posted here? I'd be curious to see another one.

I know unit marked pieces aren't that common, but is "FF_" a common way to mark them? I wonder how many cities beginning with a �G� issued pieces marked �FFG�. I'm guessing not many, it would be neat to someday know where this was issued.

I assume the 44 is the serial number, not the date(?).

Billy, I would have been happy with the price for one in this condition without unit marks. Smile
Posted By: AndyB Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/09/2009 07:34 AM
Hello the inventory number is probably FFG44, the 815 is probably serial number of scabbard and should be on bayonet too.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/09/2009 12:12 PM
Tim,

I would agree that the 44 is a bayo number & probably not the year. Great piece & although I forget what it sold for I remember it was a great price. A win win situation.

Andy,

We've seen the number 815 on KS98 scabbards for years. I've probably got 2 or 3 dozen scabbards with the same mark, never seen a bayonet similarly marked. I guess it's odd to have a part number so conspicuous but there you have it.
Posted By: Nacho GT Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/09/2009 08:10 PM
Not a bayonet but his Feuerwehr Ehrenbeil is also marked ff, in this case ff Eutin, being Eutin a town in southern Germany. Regards & sorry for the bad picture.

Attached picture DSCF1481.jpg
Posted By: TimL Re: Horster FM Bayonet with "Inventory" Marks? - 12/10/2009 06:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Billy G.:
Tim,

I would agree that the 44 is a bayo number & probably not the year. Great piece & although I forget what it sold for I remember it was a great price. A win win situation.

Sometimes I get lucky on ebay, the bayo was under $100 including postage.

Thanks for the pic Nacho.
© Your new forums