UBB.threads
Posted By: THammond Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/24/2016 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone,
Spanking brand new member. I hope i'm posting in the right place.
My husband and I have been trying to get more information on the etched German dress bayonet his father brought back as a war souvenir.

We've had the bayonet since 2002 when my FIL died. My husband recalled playing with it as a child, and given that i think its in pretty good condition. I measured the blade, its 25CM long- FIL's story was that he removed it off a prisoner, who was an SS officer (we have no way to verify that)- I cleaned the blade with water before taking the photos- I don't see a makers mark on it. Taking photos was hard, especially on the etching. Hoping the photos are clear enough. Any info or sources that we can be pointed toward to ID it would be great. I tried to get the photos to come up on the post, and they wont... hopefully people will be able to see them.
And Thank you for your help..

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/44lxo7w9rogv6m4/back%20side.JPG?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/o63cmdc7eqjf2e3/blade%20side.JPG?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zzce67sug69ycc/close%20up%20text.JPG?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0sr0do34nosfr4/DSCN0561.JPG?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad128kd0vbdv31d/front%20side.JPG?dl=0[/img]

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ffa0u1tbss4bly/Photo%201.JPG?dl=0[/img]
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 01:27 AM
The motto, "Zur Erinnerung An Meine Dienstzeit", means "In Memory of my Servicetime". The etch is a generic one for Luftwaffe personnel, as noted by the eagle on the right hand side.

The etch type is similar to that of Höller products, despite there being no makers mark. As far as originality, Höller etches tend to be much sloppier than many of the other manufacturers & that fact sometimes makes identification or authentication a little more difficult. I can't exactly say if the blade is period etched or not because I'm looking on a small phone screen, but I'm sure one other of my learned colleagues can say for sure.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 02:32 PM
Yep, that looks like a Holler etch, Billy.

You can see this etch pictured on page 203 of Wayne's book, but on a Seilheimer marked blade. I have this etch on an unmarked blade like the one pictured here.

Holler etches are often faked and the angle of the pictures does not permit good viewing of the etch details. So, while the etch looks pretty and well detailed, I would like to see better and straight on shots of the etch, especially the bookends. Sort of like this.

John

Attached picture Etch.JPG
Attached picture Etch Front.JPG
Attached picture Etch Mid.JPG
Attached picture Etch Rear.JPG
Posted By: THammond Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 03:32 PM
Thank you Billy & Hi John,
I'll work on getting some close up shots for you. Your photos are so good, are you using a light box? or diffused lighting? I found that reflections off the metal to be hard to photograph since it's so big a piece. Any advice?

I do have a question, the dress bayonets, were etched at the time of service right? not a "post service fantasy piece" Which is what someone said when we first tried another ww2 collectibles site to find more about the bayonet- which just didn't make any sense to me given denazification laws- Thank you everyone for your help on this, i'm so happy i found the right place/right people to help us.
Posted By: THammond Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 06:08 PM
Hi John,

I took a bunch of photos using the closeup setting on my nikon digital camera. I've just loaded the batch and i'm sharing the folder instead of each file, it might be easier to view that way. When you click on one photo it opens into a slide show.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvsd4hfxs4s9151/AAB_DW7AsHRBhXvinE-at0NJa?dl=0[/img]

I had issues with reflections, so i went more photos hoping you find what you need in them. I did noticed that you can see where the scabbard has worn on the blade from not having it pushed in when it was sheathed. I also tried to get some photos of the wear on the bottom of the blade and i also did a few close ups of where the blade and handle meet in case you needed to see that.
If you need more photos, just let me know and i'll try taking them outside to cut down on reflections.

I did find myself really appreciating the art of the etching and detail as i took the photos. A lot of craftsmanship went into making these.

Thank you Tracy
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 07:13 PM
Tracy:

These photos show the etch way better... I like the etch, I like the bayonet. You have a nice and semi-rare etched bayonet there.

I take my pictures in a light box or using outside natural light depending on the weather. I use an old Sony Mavica camera that give me nice closeups and takes pics in low resolution so that I can post them on any forum without resizing worries.

Etched blades were produced for several reasons:

- dedications for special events or special people, such as promotions or transfers or special school or training.
- items produced to be given out as prizes, such as shooting competition prizes
- items produced in honour of service, such as this one. These would be sold to active soldiers in camps, usually training camps, as a memento of their service time. Sometimes these would show a branch of service, such as the one you have for the Luftwaffe, sometimes it would show the actual unit name and number and city.

The most common etched bayonets are for generic time in service. Then, come service dedications, then unit name and number, lastly and rarest of all are dedications for special events or to special people. Sometimes, you will see etches on both sides of the blade.

Welcome to the forum,

John
Posted By: THammond Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/25/2016 08:04 PM
Hi John,
Thank you for taking the time to look at all the photos and information. The bayonet has been in my husbands family since his dad removed it off the German solider in 1945, It's sat in our safe for the last 14 years since my FIL died.

To you or anyone on the forum-
What it's value? A guesstamation if you have an idea- If my husband decides to sell it, what if anything do we need to do on the documentation end since it has no makers mark.

Thank you for all your help, Tracy
Posted By: Mat J Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/28/2016 12:37 AM
Dear THammond, I'm new the forum as well. I just snapped a few pics of my own of this example but are unable to upload. I need to reach out to Billy or John. "Any of you guys can Email me at anytime"!!! At any rate, the makers mark on mine is A.E. Everts. A rarely seen makers mark on etched pieces. And as Billy and John stated these most likely got shipped out to the Holler firm. This etch is featured in the Paul Seilheimer firms catalog as Ausfurung Nr. 2. (Waynes book pg 200) So from here, the owner of the A.E.Everts bayonet brought it to the Seilheimer firm where it was shipped/outsourced to the Holler firm I imagine. Piece looks great!! Best wishes,

Mat J
Posted By: Mat J Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/28/2016 12:44 AM
Ya, just realized I need to wire Vern $32.95 to post pics. Once the money clears, I send some pics. Be in touch,

Mat J
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/28/2016 03:17 PM
Mat, you do not have to pay the annual contribution to post photos here. They only have to be the right size.

Not that I am suggesting not to make a contribution, just that it will not solve your picture posting problems.
Posted By: Dave Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 02/28/2016 05:38 PM
Jim is correct:

You can post pictures free of charge.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 03/05/2016 05:51 PM
Posting a similar Luft etch for Mat J.

Attached picture image1.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 03/05/2016 05:52 PM
More

Attached picture image2.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Help needed to ID etched dress bayonet - 03/05/2016 05:53 PM
And a nice, scarce maker mark, A. Evertz Solingen.

Attached picture image3.jpg
© Your new forums