UBB.threads
Posted By: JohnZ Eickhorn KS98 Sawback SOS Pickup - 02/21/2016 02:40 PM
Just back from the SOS with this hard to find version of a long KS98.

First up, it has the 35-41 seated squirrel logo, which is the most commonly found pattern of KS98s.

But, it is a sawback. Sawbacks are hard to find, but are almost always found on fire bayonets. As weapons of war, sawbacks were banned after WWI, but on fire bayonets could be considered rescue tools.

Finding a sawback on a dress bayonet with the mid Eickhorn mark is a mini dream come true.

Also note the grip and the pommel.. no rifle slot, no button release.

This comes from Tom Wittmann, who sadly, due to an illness that prevented travel, did not attend this show.

John

Attached picture Obverse.JPG
Attached picture Reverse.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Grip.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Grip.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Blade.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Blade.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Pommel.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Pommel.JPG
Attached picture Sawback Detail 1.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Eickhorn KS98 Sawback SOS Pickup - 02/21/2016 05:05 PM
John,

I've seen these before, albeit only occasionally. They seem to have a Fireman pommel & standard KS98 crossguard, I believe the few I've observed were all Eickhorn with the '35-'41 mark like this one. But that this one shows a sawback blade makes it something special indeed.

My feeling is this style has some sort of Gov't or Police connection but that's simply speculation. Haven't ever seen a regulation that would document the style either, but it's super cool!
Posted By: ORPO Re: Eickhorn KS98 Sawback SOS Pickup - 02/23/2016 05:18 PM
I tend to agree with Billy about the possible law enforcement connection, but again just a thought with nothing to back it up. These KS98 with plain pommels with no slot or press button are hard to find.

Congratulations!
Posted By: Mat J Re: Eickhorn KS98 Sawback SOS Pickup - 02/28/2016 12:07 AM
John, that bayonet looks better with you photography. Congratulations!! Another fine piece to add to the arsenal.
© Your new forums