UBB.threads
Posted By: Len S '39 Holler K98 bayonet tropical rig... - 08/04/2013 11:48 PM
I acquired this today at a small gun show from a picker who mines a local flea market. It's a matching FW Holler in pretty nice shape accompanied by a green tropical frog. The seller told me the frog was American. The regular crew of gun show rats emphatically assured me it was British. Gotta love the wisdom one can pick up at a gun show. Here are some pics.

Len

Attached picture holler1a.jpg
Attached picture holler2a.jpg
Attached picture holler3a.jpg
Attached picture holler4a.jpg
Attached picture holler5a.jpg
Posted By: Len S Re: '39 Holler K98 bayonet tropical rig... - 08/04/2013 11:50 PM
Date

Attached picture holler6a.jpg
Posted By: FredM Re: '39 Holler K98 bayonet tropical rig... - 08/05/2013 05:39 PM
Nice score. It has every appearance of being a original, "out-of-the woodwork" rig. Coming from a local "picker" only reinforces the likelihood this is so.
Another great find Len! It appears from the wear on the scabbard below the AK frog pouch the bluing wear on the scabbard is from a leather frog that was previously on it.
Posted By: TimL Re: '39 Holler K98 bayonet tropical rig... - 10/04/2013 07:55 PM
Nice score Len. It's fun to come across things where the story actually under sells the item, rather than the other way around.

I found this similar tropical frog on ebay being sold by a military surplus dealer. He also listed it as British and went into a long description, it was priced accordingly.

A couple months ago I was at a small gun show and bought a near mint WWI trench knife, the seller was selling it as a repro.

Attached picture knife and frog.jpg
Posted By: TKissinger Re: '39 Holler K98 bayonet tropical rig... - 12/27/2013 04:47 AM
Back to the top
Nice tropical finds. timothy
© Your new forums