UBB.threads
Posted By: wschmidt KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/23/2012 02:25 PM
Hello People,
I bought this blade, but I have doubt of your originality. It is one red flag IMO.
Is it good or no???
Regards,
William Schmidt

Posted By: wschmidt Re: KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/23/2012 02:27 PM

Posted By: JohnZ Re: KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/23/2012 02:45 PM
It is pretty well done.

The only red flag for me (and I would guess the one you are talking about) is the poor fit of the mortise key shown in th elast two pictures.

One red flag isn't necessarily enough to turn something down, but it is enough to make you look at everything a lot more closely.

John
Posted By: Billy G. Re: KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/23/2012 03:32 PM
The poor fit on the mortise key might indicate a period replacement or a post-war replacement. Either way, I see no reason to question the originality of the bayonet in its entirety. Looks like a nice stag gripped example in collectible condition.
Posted By: TKissinger Re: KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/24/2012 03:04 AM
I have owned a few with stag grips that fit like the one you show but I don't like them. It was very poor craftsmanship. I have seen several post war stag grips that fit like yours. Looking at the rivets helps determine if it is post war addition. The attached photo shows how most quality bayonets are fitted. If the grips were to thick they would round over the ends to align with the pommel.

Posted By: wschmidt Re: KS98 with Staghorn Grip - Opinion - 06/24/2012 02:42 PM
More pictures of the grip:

© Your new forums