UBB.threads
Posted By: patrice Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/29/2011 06:22 PM
Gentlemen,

I have had this Police bayonet for a long time and never really noticed the difference in characteristic of this Eick trademark.
I have never seen this particular trademark before, could anyone tell me which era this trademark belongs to ?

The bayo is a cut down Weimar period.

Thanks

Attached picture Eickhorn trademark 004.JPG
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/29/2011 09:32 PM
About 1932-34
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/29/2011 10:11 PM

Thanks Houston !
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/30/2011 05:20 AM
This exact TM is shown in Fisher 7th Edition on page 1014.

The doubling of the outer oval is what makes this mark unique in my opinion.

Fisher attributes it as 1934-45 dated.

John
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/30/2011 12:54 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the info but I think Fisher is wrong on this one, the trademark is from a pre-Nazi Weimar Police bayonet, so it has to be prior to 1933.
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/30/2011 12:57 PM

I've also never seen a doubling of the outer oval trademark on any Eickhorn logo.
Posted By: jeff Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 09:43 AM
the double oval can be found on other dress bayonets ,including the fire type. but , yes very uncommon.
jeff
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 02:19 PM

Jeff,

The double oval Eickhorn is uncommon but still frequently found. However, I'm mostly referring to the DOUBLING of the dual lines that forms the double oval, in my opinion extremelly rare.
Do you have any pics of an identical Eickhorn trademark found on any other edged weapons ?

Thanks
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 03:18 PM
Pat:

I agree with you that Fisher is probably off a few years on this TM.

And, I have not run across this particular TM on an Eickhorn blade before.

John
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 03:38 PM

Here are the one's that we usually see, the Eickhorn double oval logo with the CE marked ( circa 1933-34 ) and the double oval without the CE marked ( circa 1934-35 ).
Other than these maker marked, the double lined oval is a complete mystery to me. confused

Attached picture 31680s.jpg
Attached picture 33011w.jpg
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 06:02 PM
Here are the TM's that I have found on Dress Bayonets. Never seen a double line on a dress bayonet before, but there's a lot of things I haven't seen.

Posted By: Barry Brown Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 08:45 PM
Great TM reference resource!

Is this large oval TM, on a clamshell police bayo', number 5 on your list?

Attached picture Resize of IMGP0184.JPG
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 10:58 PM
It is a short blade dress bayonet

Posted By: Dave Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 10/31/2011 11:28 PM
I think that those trademarks are stamped into the blade rather than acid etched.

If so, that might be a very hard strike with the "double" outer line being the edge of the die itself.

Dave
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/01/2011 12:53 AM
Pat,

A very interesting Eick logo you've posted. Initially I was inclined to think the double outer oval was like Dave suggested, a double strike, but now I'm not so sure. The two close ovals don't appear to overlap at all. Also note the logo has "x"s instead of "*"s. I'm always skeptical of "new" things but I'm starting to think this is a legit variant.

Barry,

I believe you're right, your clamshell logo looks most like Terry's #5.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/01/2011 01:55 AM
This is a TM variation that is pictured in Fisher and attributed to a publication source.

There are several TMs that also have the 'x' instead of the '*' above the word 'Solingen'... double oval, serrated tail, short legged, short eared and cross armed squirrel.

I don't think it is a double strike.

John
Posted By: stingray Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/01/2011 02:03 AM
exactly Billy,this is very interesting MM.
I also don't think it is a double strike.

No stars,but crosses

Regards

Attached picture eick.png
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/01/2011 03:23 AM

I have looked at it very closely under a magnifying glass and I can surely say that it ain't a double stroke.
Posted By: Dave Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/01/2011 02:34 PM
I was not saying a double strike but a very hard one that went in deeper and then the edge of the die is the second oval.
Posted By: stingray Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 12:12 AM
Dave it seems to me they both are equally deep.
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 02:19 AM
Pat

In Anthony Carters book (The Sword and knife makers of Germany 1850-2000)shows a TM with double outside lines like yours, but the inter oval also has double lines

He states the one that is similar to yours was on the 1931 catalog "Sabel fur Griechenland". He also states that it also appeared on the front of many other export catalogs.

For those of us that find TM's interesting have noticed many small differences during the manufacturing years of the TR. Its a lot like coin collecting.
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 02:46 AM
Cool, thanks for the info, do you think it would be possible for you to post a pic of that double oval inner circle logo ?
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 02:55 AM
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 02:56 AM
Great thread.
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 03:13 AM

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaa, didn't know that Eickhorn had so many different trademarks, thanks for the pic.

Great thread indeed, always something new.
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 03:15 AM
The picture shows only some, there are more.
Posted By: stingray Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 03:28 AM
interesting, thanks for posting

stingray
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 02:59 PM
Also, note that both Carter and Fisher state that the doubled line TM was found in publications, not on edged weapons.

This example by Patrice would be the first example that most, if not all, of us have seen of this doubled double oval TM on a blade.

Darn it, maybe I should give up my quest to get an example of every Eick TM variation.

John
Posted By: Jim W Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 03:41 PM
I have the same double oval on my Royal Bulgarian AF dagger by Eickhorn. Pre WWII. It is either 36 or 37 I can not make out the diference.

My TM appears to be etched, the blade has a blue pannel etch also.
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 04:46 PM
Hi Jim,

When you have a minute, do you think you could post a picture of your trademark ?
Posted By: Jim W Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 05:14 PM
Sure Pat.

Here ae a couple of photos I have on file. I will try to take a better photo this afternoon.

There is also a sticky thread on the Bulgarian A/F daggers in the European Edged weapons forum, where there are several examples of the same trademark on 3 examples.

Sorry i do not know how to do the link. Try: http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=89511&page=6

Attached picture 215 Bulg AF (18).JPG
Attached picture 215 Bulg AF (16).JPG
Posted By: patrice Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 05:46 PM
Thank you Jim

It is indeed the same logo and it does puzzle me as to why you cannot find any German edged weapon with that same logo, except those found on non-German blades, were these for export only ??????

BTW, great looking dagger.
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 08:30 PM
I know when it comes to Eickhorn Export goodies they mixed trademarks. I have some export ledgers and 1,000s of pages of Export correspondence .. The pages have two maybe three different trademarks on the same ledger page ...The 20s 30s trademarks can be very tricky to date as they mixed them... They were using what some call the 20s logos into 1936-37 on Export stuff for sure... Regards: Jim
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Which era this Eickhorn trademark - 11/02/2011 09:44 PM
I second Paul, terrific thread. I always love maker mark minutiae.
© Your new forums