UBB.threads
Posted By: Len S Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/21/2011 12:24 AM
I acquired this rig through a recent auction. The bayonet is a fair '38 date Rich. Herder mated to a '40 date Elite Diamant scabbard. The frog is the tropical issue canvas variant in Luftwaffe blue/gray rather than the standard green/tan coloration. Here are some pics.

Best regards,
Len

Attached picture Luftwaffe frog 002.JPG
Attached picture Luftwaffe frog 006.JPG
Attached picture Luftwaffe frog 003.JPG
Attached picture Luftwaffe frog 004.JPG
Posted By: AndyB Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/21/2011 11:12 AM
A great piece Len. congratulation.
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/21/2011 06:24 PM
Beautiful piece Len! I've been looking for a Luft frog for a long time, but they always seem to be very elusive.
Posted By: Len S Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/22/2011 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: AndyB
A great piece Len. congratulation.

Originally Posted By: Denny Gaither
Beautiful piece Len! I've been looking for a Luft frog for a long time, but they always seem to be very elusive.

Thanks for the kind comments fellas. Denny, yes they are elusive, this is only the second one I've ever encountered in many years of looking.

Best regards,
Len
Posted By: FredM Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 11/03/2011 10:30 PM
Nice score. I had to go all the way to Australia (via Ebay) some years ago to get my blue Luft. I saw a blue luft web belt in nice shape @ the SOS several years ago, and saw it sell @ around $600.00 to my recollection!
Does anyone have any idea what a bayonet with the Luft frog is worth?
Posted By: FredM Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/28/2012 03:23 PM
That is a very subjective question. The value of the bayonet is independent of the value of the frog. This is based on the condition of the frog, and of course the specifics of the bayonet (maker/date, matching numbers, amount of finish, blade sharpened or not, etc.) This could be a bit problematical if the frog has shrunk or otherwise could not be removed safely from the scabbard. Once saw a well-known collector tear a rip from the frog stud hole right thru the top of the pouch on a nice blue tropical luft while attempting to remove a scabbard! Since the worth of a bayonet is undetermined, that of a decent blue luft frog could range up or down from $250.00.
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/28/2012 04:07 PM
Len, if you are interested in selling your frog, contact me...
dengai(AT)netzero.net
Thanks...Im looking at one now. The bayonet is in pretty nice shape and matches so is the frog. He wants 5 for it. Didnt know if that was what they brought. Its the only one i have seen.
Posted By: FredM Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 10/29/2012 01:17 AM
If it is a real nice bayonet, then the asking price is within bounds. Another thing to consider is if the rig has a provenance, and bayonet & frog have been together since WW2. It that can be ascertained, it may be a plus as well.
Got mine. Now i have a set. The army one is mismatched but dated 1941 or 2. The luft is matching and dated 1942

Attached picture rsz_1dscn0898.jpg
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 11/26/2012 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Earl (Rick) Schreiber
Got mine. Now i have a set. The army one is mismatched but dated 1941 or 2. The luft is matching and dated 1942

Attached picture thumbsup.gif
Posted By: John C. Jacobi Re: Luft Tropical frog & bayo rig... - 12/08/2012 07:28 PM
It is always a joy and rare occaison to look at a luft web frog...thanks!
© Your new forums