UBB.threads
Posted By: JohnZ Etches By Puma - 06/17/2011 03:12 PM
Puma, like Eickhorn and Pack, had their own unique etch pattern and did not sell their etches to other bayonet manufacturers.

They only produced what looks like one pattern of bookends, but had multiple variations of the dedication etch between these bookends.

I only have three Puma etches hanging around chez JohnZ.

The first two are both unit dedications.

One is on a Pioniere hilt and is a straightforward dedication to Infantry Regiment 3. Note that the first line has the dedication to service inscription, the second line has the unit number and the third line has the unit location. This etch can be seen on page 213 of Wayne's book.

The second is a dedication to a location only. This pattern also stretches out the dedication inscription to two lines and has the added oak leaves on either side of the writing. Also, there is an added border along with the inscription, Ges Gesch or patent pending, at the bottom right corner. You can see this etch on page 214 bottom.

Also note that the two Puma TMs differ in size.

Attached picture Obverse.JPG
Attached picture Reverse.JPG
Attached picture Two Pumas.JPG
Attached picture Two TMs.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 06/17/2011 03:18 PM
This Puma etch is dedicated to service in the Luftwaffe. As such, it has a Luft eagle inserted into the left hand side bookend. This version also has a three line dedication and can be seen on page 210.

There also exists a variation of this Luft etch shown on page 212. But, this variation has the Wehrmacht eagle in the left bookend and the dedication is on two lines.

John

Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture Etch.JPG
Attached picture Etch Front.JPG
Attached picture Etch Mid.JPG
Attached picture Etch Rear.JPG
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: Etches By Puma - 06/17/2011 07:08 PM
Here is a stock etch by Puma that I currently have.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 10/22/2011 09:36 PM
This etched Puma came from Bob Iqbal. We got our wires crossed... I thought I was going to pick it up at the MAX, and he thought that I was going to have it mailed to me after the MAX.

And, Bob won.

Here it is.

Not one that is in great shape, but a very rare dedication.

This etch is pictured in Wayne's book on page 216 and is dedicated to Panzer Regiment 4 out of Schweinfurt. Along with Panzer Regiment 3, they formed the backbone of the 2nd Panzer Division commanded by a lowly Colonel (Oberst), whereas other Panzer Regiments were commanded by Generals. But this Oberst was named Heinz Guderian.

Now you know why I had to get this etch.

John

Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 12/21/2011 11:00 PM
This recent arrival is a long single etched neutral dedication to service.

But, this is a variation not seen in Techet's book. It has a unique large pair of oak leaves on either side of the writing. More proof that etchers sometimes used their imaginations to embellish and fill in the standard patterns.

John

Attached picture Obverse Grip.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Grip.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture Etch rear.JPG
Posted By: Pitbull63 Re: Etches By Puma - 12/22/2011 02:57 AM

John,
Again, some very fine bayonets. These are all beautiful etches. I especially like the Luftwaffe eagle in the left bookend. Good photo's, very nice.

Rich
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Etches By Puma - 12/23/2011 12:19 PM
John,

Some really great examples here, thanks for sharing them. I know you're partial to Packs & Eicks but for my money I have to say I think Puma & Klaas made some of the most appealing etched items. Very pleasing to the eye, mine anyway!
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 12/05/2012 04:41 AM
Here is a new Puma Luftwaffe etch. It is pictured on page 211 of Wayne's book and the etch is longer than the previous Luft etch that I show here due to the addition of oak leaves around the dedication.

Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture Two Lufts.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: Etches By Puma - 12/06/2012 01:11 PM
John,

There's certainly a world of difference between the two etch patterns, do you know if one pre-dated the other, or were both used during the same time-frame? It's amazing to see how well-defined those miniscule "ges.gesch." markings are, great quality etch.

Very nice Puma products! wink

W~
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 12/06/2012 02:22 PM
Willi:

I have no idea if one predated the other or not. The larger manufacturers would have more than one etcher and more than one etch pattern. I would guess that the etch master would choose the pattern to use depending on a number of factors.

John
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma - 08/27/2013 09:06 PM
I have two etches dedicated to Gebirgs-Pionier Bataillon 54 out of Mittenwald, one on a Eickhorn Marked blade and this one on a Puma.

This Puma is a long single etched stag gripped bayonet.

I also show you the same unit dedication on an Eickhorn.

John

Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Front.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Mid.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Rear.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Jaeger Regiment 98 - SOS Pickup - 03/14/2014 10:22 PM
My good friend, Eric von Rader, brought this etched bayonet to the show.

And, once I saw it, I had to have it to complement my other stag gripped Puma etched bayonet.

This is a stag gripped, short bladed, single etched and dedicated to Jaeger Regiment 98.

John

Attached picture Obverse grip.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Puma Fliegerhorst Stade Elbe - 03/19/2015 02:43 AM
Fliegershorst Stade on the Elbe River was a major airport and training base from the 1930's on. Etched bayonet salesmen must have had quite the market here since I know of 4 different etch patterns dedicated to service at this particular base.

Pages 60 and 61 of Wayne's book shows an Eickhorn special order example (one I am still hunting for).

E Pack had two versions of this dedication, one on a C31 oval bayonet, but one that I no longer own (silly me traded it and still regret it). The second Pack is on the Flieger No 4 pattern C31, which is still in my collection.

I finally found on Brian Maederer's site this short single etch Puma Luftwaffe bayonet... BUT dedicated to Stade. So, I know of four patterns to this airfield.

Puma makes great etches, I think.

Attached picture Obverse Blade.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma Fliegerhorst Stade Elbe - 03/19/2015 02:45 AM
Here are pictures of the two Pack etched blades dedicated to Stade.

John

Attached picture MVC-098S.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Etch.JPG
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Puma Fliegerhorst Stade Elbe - 03/28/2015 03:04 PM
Hi John,

I took the time this morning to have a look at some of your bayonets here on the forum and I must say that your blades are just WOW! I told you last night that I'm not really into bayonets but if I ever get a chance to own one of these puppies then I'd be a happy man!

Talk soon!

Gerry
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma Communications Pg. 208B - 10/26/2016 07:05 PM
Just arrived is this long single etched Puma bayonet dedicated to Nachrichten Abt 41.

It looks a lot like the one seen on page 208B of Wayne's book dedicated to the same unit.

But, it has added sprigs of oak leaves on either side of the third line...it does look like the etchers had leeway to embellish the standard 6350 Puma etch.

More on that later.

Attached picture Obverse Hilt.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Hilt.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma IR 20 Komp 11 pg 215A - 10/26/2016 07:09 PM
Another etch variation is this short single etch blade dedicated to Inf Regt 20, Komp 11. You can see this exact etch on page 215A of Wayne's book.

The neat thing about this etch is the addition of a second border line both above and below the unit dedication.

Attached picture Obverse Blade.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma IR 47 pg 215B - 10/26/2016 07:14 PM
The third Puma short single etch (BTW, they all came from the Cashi collection), is this 6350 etch dedicated to Inf regt 47. An ordinary dedication on a common etch pattern, you say.

Wrong. Look at the additional flourish on either side of Luneburg on the third line, another embellishment by the etcher.

The only thing that I am questioning on this bayonet is the use of the spanner bolts... not something that I would expect on a Puma.

Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 10/26/2016 07:18 PM
Here are some 6350 etch variations. These are only on the ones with the stubby eagle and not the ones with the Luftwaffe eagle. I have highlighted the areas that are different, from the addition of "Ges Gesch' to additional lines to additional sprigs.

Makes for interesting collectibles, eh (as we say in Canada) wink

John

Attached picture Addl Lines.JPG
Attached picture Pg 208B.JPG
Attached picture Pg 208B.JPG
Attached picture Pg 211.JPG
Attached picture Pg 213.JPG
Attached picture Pg 214B.JPG
Attached picture Pg 215B.JPG
Attached picture Pg 217.JPG
Posted By: stingray Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 10/26/2016 10:32 PM
good job John,nice find
Posted By: TKissinger Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 10/27/2016 02:25 AM
John no problem on the spanner nuts. Early Puma Werk bayonets had spanner nuts. Some of these parts were probably used on yours. See photo below.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 10/27/2016 02:34 AM
Thanks, Terry, that is a load off my mind.

John
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 10/29/2016 01:10 PM
Great additions John, always a pleasure to see how many variants there are. I do particularly like that spanner nut Puma & can imagine how much of an issue it would be, thinking that Puma never used them. It was quite interesting when Terry found that spanner nut Pumawerk KS98, always info to have on hand.

I have a Feuerwehr bayonet with the Pumawerk mark. As we know, it's very early production. Sadly, it has rivets instead of spanners.
Posted By: Mat J Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 11/05/2016 12:35 AM
Dear John,

Thank you as always for the time to share your knowledge along with the great specimens you have acquired. This post was a great read and quite informative. I have always known about the plethora of available etches by the Puma firm but the different variations you have shown is just outstanding as well a terrific point of reference. And for the history buffs who love connecting pieces to their commanders, well, that Heinz Guderian piece is just the sprinkles on top of a already over the top ice-cream sundae. Can't wait to see what your next piece is. You never disappoint. Best wishes,

Mat J
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 11/06/2016 02:15 PM
That is a great collection of Puma etched bayonets you show here, John!

Here is another couple of Puma's: a short Luftwaffe (same unit already showed) and a long Infantry (Pioneer).

Best regards,

Herman

Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: DARREN W Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 12/24/2016 11:12 PM
Thanks for showing your collection John...you have some very nice Pumas there!

I have the short Dress Bayonet with the Kempten/Allgau Etch citation in my small collection.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 03/12/2017 09:01 PM
Here is a long, single etched version of a 6350 etch. It has a Pioniere style hilt and is a variation on the Infantry Regiment 3 etch pictured on page 213 of Wayne's book. The variation haws added border lines top and bottom and added oak leaves around the dedication.

Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Puma 6350 Etch Variations - 03/12/2017 09:04 PM
And, here is the standard 6350 etch for all branches of service.

You can see this etch in Wayne's book on page 214A.

Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Etches By Puma Recon Regt 1 - 07/03/2023 07:49 PM
It has been a while, but I finally found this rare Puma dedicated to Recon Regiment 1 from Konigsburg.

It is a long single etched blade with typical Puma bookends.

Attached picture TM.JPG
© Your new forums