UBB.threads
Posted By: BadBob 1856 pattern Enfield sword bayonet ID? - 10/09/2007 08:05 PM
I've been given a p.1856 Enfield bayonet by a friend. It had been in his family's cottage here in Manitoba for decades, and is in relic condition. The only marking I've been able to find is a 'C' over '2' on the top of the pommel. It has a screw retaining the spring, which I've read dates it from 1858-on......I'd appreciate any info. on the C over 2 marking, and who would have used this bayonet when? Thanks for any ideas or leads offered. - Rob
Posted By: paulbear Re: 1856 pattern Enfield sword bayonet ID? - 10/09/2007 09:54 PM
Bob I posted an answer on the other forum but to get it going here it probably means second company as no CANADIAN militia marks match C over 2. That means there are probaly more marks to be found likely under magnification if the unit is is bad shape

PAUL
Posted By: BadBob Re: 1856 pattern Enfield sword bayonet ID? - 10/10/2007 06:01 PM
Thanks Paul. I've gone over it several times with both a magnifying glass and a 10X loupe, and I can't find other markings, even in sunlight. The blade, crossguard, and pommel sides aren't pitted much so I'm 99% sure there's nothing there. The tang has the worst pitting, but it's so narrow, I don't think they'd stamp it there?......Were they still carrying these bayonets during the Northwest Rebellion? - Cheers, Rob
© Your new forums