UBB.threads
Posted By: Gendarmerie1 eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 03:44 AM
Has anyone looked at the below linked out of curiosity and received the additional photos?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6603...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Posted By: Gendarmerie1 Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 03:47 AM
The grip insignia looks like the one pictured on page 485 of Wittmann's latest on SS edged weapons...

Attached picture IMG_0083.JPG
Posted By: Gendarmerie1 Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 03:49 AM
Part of the etch...

Attached picture IMG_0113.JPG
Posted By: Gendarmerie1 Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 03:50 AM
Grip insignia from the side

Attached picture IMG_0118.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 02:45 PM
Dave,

Thanks for posting this one as it will fool a lot of people. These short KS98 bayonets came out of Germany some years ago and are very good fakes. They are complete reassemblies based on original bayonets that have blades etched postwar in Germany. The etching and the eagle are postwar. I saw one in a militaria shop in N�rnberg perhaps 15-20 years ago with this same distinctive etching and they seem to come from this area. The fellow also had high quality fakes of the WSP dagger (with etched police eagle on the blade) as well as Luft General and Diplomat swords.

George
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 03:37 PM
Fake-There are only two known originals with this etch pattern. They have the long blade and are in police mounts and have other differences. There are several variations of this fake--with ornamental leaves-without-different units-clamshells and without clamshell-KS mounts and police mounts-with gold colored police grip eagles-different makers-etc. Extreme caution advised.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 09:31 PM
Although I wanted this one to be real, I had a bad feeling about it from the start. Here's a pic of the polizei adler from the blade etch.

Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 09:33 PM
A better view of the grip emblem.

Attached picture 2.JPG
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/08/2006 09:49 PM
The grip emblem is nothing more than a Police Officer degen eagle. These are found quite often on fake or altered police bayonets because there are quite a few unissued ones still around. It is very difficult to obtain the original early or mid period aluminum pierced ones that are correct for the police bayonet.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/18/2006 01:45 AM
Found this in some of my old fake files. Same etch, sort of.

Attached picture Polizei1.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: eBan Etched Police Bayonet - 02/18/2006 01:47 AM
Flip side, this one was on a clamshell

Attached picture Polizei2.jpg
© Your new forums