UBB.threads
Posted By: wotan PSS - 01/28/2006 08:03 PM
Because of the thema of Trigger in the Houston Coates forum "Question about Police SS bajo" I would like to show something about these rare and aspirable bayonets which still have their mysteries.
The police regulation wherein these kind of bayonets are mentioned, described and pictured.
Therefore not the least qustion that the P.S.S. is a police sidearm.
Due to having been period reworked they do come with two or one trademarks or without any trademark.

Attached picture PSS-Leitfaden_red.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:04 PM
Contence.
The PSS is the fifth one from the top,
"Polizeiseitengewehr, Sonderausf�hrung (P.S.S.)"
=police sidearm specialedition (P.S.S.)

Attached picture PSS-Übersicht.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:07 PM
In the middle a scetch of the P.S.S.

Attached picture PSS-Abb_unten.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:14 PM
Description.
"The P.S.S. is an altered S.98/05. The alterations are as following:
Blade and scabbard are 6 mm more narrow as with the S.98/05, pommel and crossguard are ciselled and nickelled together with the blade. The wooden grips are changed to staghorn grips and fixed with two rivets and a police badge is fixed on them."

Attached picture PSS-Beschreibung.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:16 PM
Now my MAUSER one.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_totoal_front_w_scabbard.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:17 PM
Back.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_total_back.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:18 PM
pommel front.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_front_pommel.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:19 PM
Crossguard.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_front_crossguard.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:20 PM
Pommel back.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_back_pommel.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:21 PM
Blade mark.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_back_mark.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:22 PM
Spine mark.

Attached picture PSS_MAUSER_spine_mark.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:26 PM
Naturally Wink I do own another one, a double manufacturer marked one. One side HERDER, the other side MUNDLOS. I for myself think that it original has been MUNDLOS manufactured and reworkd by HERDER but I do not know this for sure. Any comments would be wellcome.

Attached picture PSS_HERDER-MUNDLOS_front.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:28 PM
Back

Attached picture PSS_HERDER-MUNDLOS_back.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:29 PM
Mark on the bladefront.
"H.MUNDLOS&CO / MAGDEBURG"

Attached picture PSS_MUNDLOS-HERDER_front_mark.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:30 PM
Mark on the bladeback.

Attached picture PSS_HERDER-MUNDLOS_back_mark.jpg
Posted By: Earl (Rick) Schreiber Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 08:38 PM
Wotan..I have one marked to Weyerberg 0n the front of the blade and Herder on the back, im betting you are right about Herder redoing these.
Posted By: Trigger Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 09:35 PM
Very interesting Wotan!
Thanks for sharing this.
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: PSS - 01/28/2006 09:50 PM
I have thought a lot about these bayonets-as I have collected police bayonets for many years. IMO these are the very first Nazi issued police bayonets. Again IMO a very limited amount of these pieces were reworked and distributed to various units as prototypes or trial pieces.--So IMO that is why it is called a special purpose sidearm. The 98/05 was used because the government had vast stockpiles of these and they were used almost exclusively by the police in the 20's. IMO the new nazi police did not like or want to use the long Prussian clamshell introduced in 1930. But--IMO the PSS modifications cost too much and some high ranking police penny pinching pencil pusher budget freak Razz decided to chop up the clamshells instead. Attached is mine-the best one I have ever seen-Allex Coppel, Solingen. Lakeside has one on his site that is almost as good. Interesting about the Herder reworks-I certainly would agree that they did some of the reworking since some are marked that way---but -the question is-if they did all of these-why did they just stamp some?

Attached picture P508000_PSS-GDC__RESIZED.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: PSS - 01/29/2006 04:46 PM
I've had a couple of PSSs and have always loved the overall quality they have, you can really feel it when holding the piece. The PSS has it all, superior quality, rarity and a little mystery with their actual intended purpose.

I think Houston's theory has a lot of merit and I can certainly see it in action. Some frugal polizei administrator sitting in Berlin, rubbing the eagles off his coins and making a decision to rework the existing Preu�en clamshells.

This one is maker marked on the reverse Gebruder Hartkopf, Solingen and has a Walter & Co. M�hlhausen distributor mark on the obverse. Without a doubt my favorite police edged weapon and possibly my favorite bayonet entirely.

Description: PSS
Attached picture PSS.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: PSS - 01/29/2006 04:50 PM
An obverse view. It came to me still slathered in cosmoline, it still has the aroma. I'm happy it did since the blade remains mint.

Attached picture PSS2.JPG
Posted By: Trigger Re: PSS - 01/29/2006 09:18 PM
Interesting facts here.
Now, does anyone have any manual describing who was entitled to wear which one of these bayonets?

Wotan, I notice your little manual has the date of 1940.
When was the first time the PSS was mentioned as a regular police sidearm in any manual?
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: PSS - 01/30/2006 09:35 PM
While I agree with most of Houston's comments on this style Police Bayonet, I have a few other comments to add.
If you will note the scabbard on these pieces, the workmanship is great. These are made especially for this style bayonet, or so I thought originally.
The only other bayonet that has this style scabbard are the police Trier marked pieces.
Probably made at the same time, the Trier marked Police Bayonets are also very scarce and unusual.
I have encountered several different types in this Trier series: Wooden checkered grips, some with and some without police eagles and wreaths, stag grips, with and without police eagle and wreaths, some with blued scabbards and some with painted scabbards, but all with low serial numbers on the hilt.
Some hilts are plated and some are natural finish.
I believe these were manufactured at the same time as the PSS and were the first police style.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria
Posted By: Billy G. Re: PSS - 01/30/2006 10:33 PM
Ron,

Are you referring to the pieces made by Weyersberg under the name "Paweco"?
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: PSS - 01/30/2006 10:41 PM
Yes.
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: PSS - 01/30/2006 11:44 PM
A very few PSS bayonets also have the Tr.marking. I have seen two. Perhaps the Paweco ( Paul Weyersberg & Co ) types were also prototypes or trial pieces--but they are not in the Police Manuals. They are just as scarce as the PSS. Another piece that has not been properly identified.
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: PSS - 01/31/2006 03:48 PM
Anyone have a picture of the Trier piece?
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: PSS - 01/31/2006 04:02 PM
I owned one at one time-you can see it in TW's SS book
© Your new forums