UBB.threads
Posted By: 1mp44 Imperial Bayonet - 03/08/2007 01:26 AM
Here's some photos of an Imperial Bayonet. Appears to have 2 makers marks. Spine is dated 18 with a Wilhiem crown. Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Attached picture 3-7-07_Imperial_German_bayonet_004.jpg
Posted By: 1mp44 Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/08/2007 01:28 AM
here is the 2nd picture.

Attached picture 3-7-07_Imperial_German_bayonet_010.jpg
Posted By: 1mp44 Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/08/2007 01:30 AM
Last picture.

Attached picture 3-7-07_Imperial_German_bayonet_013.jpg
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/08/2007 02:50 AM
Imperial edge weapons are known to have double maker marks from time to time. The most common I have seen have Erfurt along with something else. Your combination is a first for me. Looks like some body circumcise your grips ouch!
Posted By: SimsonSuhl Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/09/2007 07:59 PM
Agreed amongst the type II's they are very commonly "completed" by someone else... usually you have the blade blank maker and a completer like the State Arsenal of Erfurt or another commercial firm like this example.

This is a better mfg combo, though the grips are a negative considering the condition.

Bruce Karem has "THE BOOK" on this subject of type II variations and I hear he is doing his first reprint for those who missed his 1st edition.

quote:
Originally posted by Dow Cross:
Imperial edge weapons are known to have double maker marks from time to time. The most common I have seen have Erfurt along with something else. Your combination is a first for me. Looks like some body circumcise your grips ouch!
Posted By: 1mp44 Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/09/2007 10:13 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for your comments. They are appreciated. Regarding the grips--they appear to have never been stained much like late WWII German rifle stocks I have seen. Notice the blue on the grip screws--its perfect, if some idiot would have sanded them, he would have surely messed up this blueing. The wood is very dry--would you have any suggestions for treating it. Once again, thanks for your comments.
Posted By: SimsonSuhl Re: Imperial Bayonet - 03/11/2007 07:02 PM
1918 Germany is not 1945 Germany; German mfg quality never dropped dramatically during the Great War, they did do significant substitutions in wood though I have never come across a 1918 dated type II like this, - I own half a dozen 1918, owned dozens more & seen hundreds over the years and I doubt this is how the grips were issued.
1915 type II usually have nicer grips though all I have seen have a similar appearance with some 1918 perhaps slightly less attractive/finished, nothing as dramatic as this example though.
The 2nd to last pictures shows some abrasion- imo mostly from sanding the rust off the cross piece w/o removing the grips?
IMO this is a chemical cleaning result though from pictures I can only guess. I have seen such results on rifles all the time, my interest in the Gewehr98 & 98a and this harsh cleaning of stocks looks much like this on your grips.

Personally I never try to “fix” chemical or sanding as it usually makes things worse… replacing the grips is a possibility though fit is usually a large problem (rarely worth it if the grips are decent enough & original to the bayonet).
Herder/EIG is a good mfg and I would keep it as is until I could upgrade it, - if you try & fix it you’ll probably make it worse and make it harder to get good $$ out of it, further if you alter it you’ll make it worthless in a trade to a knowledgeable collector and you won’t be able to use it in a trade.
© Your new forums