UBB.threads
Posted By: Len S Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 12:54 AM
Hi guys,
I picked this scabbard up today while setting up at a local gunshow. I thought it might be for a P03 but it's dated 1941.Were the Canadians still using the P03 in WWII or is it for another pattern bayonet?

Best regards,
Len

Attached picture canada1a.jpg
Posted By: Len S Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 12:54 AM

Attached picture canada2a.jpg
Posted By: Len S Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 12:55 AM

Attached picture canada3a.jpg
Posted By: Len S Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 12:56 AM

Attached picture canada4.jpg
Posted By: aurelia Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 06:20 AM
Hi Len,

This is a Ross bayonet scabbard. The hole in the back of the scabbard is correct, they are all made this way. Hope this helps.

Keith

Attached picture DSC07746.JPG
Posted By: John C. Jacobi Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/14/2006 11:18 PM
if my memory serves me len found a ross bayonet for 50 cents...did it have a scabbard?
Posted By: Swordz Re: Canadian bayo scabbard ID - 01/15/2006 02:28 AM
Bayonut:
Ian Skennerton's "British & Commonwealth Bayonets"(or"Bayonuts"?), is one of the best books written on British and U.K. bayonets that I have read.
On page 301 he writes, "During World War 2, Hugh Carson Co. Ltd. also manufactured replacement scabbards because the spares were no longer available from store."
As is well known, Britain and the U.K. were terribly short on weapons of any sort.
After Dunkirk in 1940, Britain was asking all countries to send aid in the manner of rifles and hand guns, since most of their equipment was left on the beaches during the evacuation.
I can remember the U.S. asking for donations to send to them and I believe "The Rifleman" also had ads asking for help.
Obviously, the Canadians were mobilizing and were using the Ross rifle and some needed scabbards for their Mark I and Mark II bayonets.
I would say that your scabbard would be a rather scarce item.
Good Hit!
Jack
© Your new forums