UBB.threads
Posted By: Dietrich Weiss "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 01:58 PM
Hi guys!

I need some opinons on this bayonet, I donīt know if it is genuine at all? It is very late model made by Hörster, I donīt know why it is looks so bright, can you help me on this one.

Thanks
SD

Attached picture 53105549_1.jpg
Posted By: Dietrich Weiss Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 02:04 PM
more photos

Attached picture CIMG4991.JPG
Posted By: Dietrich Weiss Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 02:06 PM

Attached picture CIMG4987.JPG
Posted By: Dietrich Weiss Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 02:07 PM

Attached picture CIMG4982.JPG
Posted By: ORPO Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 02:19 PM
Sad... sad... sad... Unfortunately someone has polished and chrome plated the bayonet after the war. Frown
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/06/2007 03:52 PM
What a pity!!!!!
Dietrich, any 1945 dated 84/98 III bayonet is extremely rare. The person who chrome plated this piece had no idea how much money he was losing by doing this.
That's the same as taking a hen's tooth and putting a gold crown on it.
As George said - sad... sad... sad...
Posted By: John C. Jacobi Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/08/2007 01:44 PM
WOw that is the best chrome job i have ever seen on a 45 SGX! amazing how they even did the rivets. This piece will fill a hole in the late war bayonet collectors collection. I thought Bubba only did this in the USA :-) Still will bring in some cash but not near what one would bring with original finish. Thanks for sharing the pics but not sure how much this bayonet would be worth bubbarized? Seems your part of the world for some reason got the shipment of 45 sgx's towards the end. Since a few samples have come out of northern europe i wonder what theories one would have why these were showing up there?
Posted By: Wiking Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/08/2007 04:02 PM
god D... a 45 sgx and chrome plated Mad Frown man thats sad and its even a matching piece.... looks kind of nice if it wasnt a 45SGX Frown
Posted By: Kriegsmodell Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/14/2007 01:46 PM
Hey John,

Love your response "best chrome job I ever saw on a 45sgx!" Just how many chromed 45sgx have you seen? And for that matter how many 45sgx have we seen period? I'm just busting you, man. Regardless, as everyone else has said what a shame. Of all the bayonets to do this to ....
Posted By: John C. Jacobi Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/14/2007 06:26 PM
Actually the owner of the bayonet says it wasnt chromed but was highly polished. all the phosphate was removed and that accounts for the shiney rivets. Still a collectable piece! Only two known owners of a matched sgx out there with a couple other mismatched and or individual bayonets and scabbards.
Posted By: Dietrich Weiss Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/15/2007 12:09 PM
Hi Guys!

This bayonet was sold on Swedish online auction one week ago. I whish I had some more photos to add, but unfortunately I donīt. I knew it was speciall and it was sold for $550, I guess cheap for a such bayo. Many of the late K98 bayonets could be find in Norwey and I have seen few of them. I belive guy who bought it could be a member here as well?!
Posted By: Wiking Re: "Grey ghost" or not?! - 10/16/2007 03:54 PM
a 45 sgx is always a collectable bajonet "almost" in any condition Smilebut could have been great if it was in untouched condition, but probably alot more expensive too Wink
© Your new forums