Hello,

Can anyone identify this frog for me.

Thanks,\
Fitzer

Attached picture FrogID1.jpg
Attached picture FrogID2.jpg
Attached picture FrogID3.jpg
Posted By: Alex . Re: Frog ID - 06/21/2017 02:27 PM
Looks similar to Bulgarian Royal Army dagger frog.
Posted By: Jim W Re: Frog ID - 06/21/2017 02:38 PM
Alex is correct I believe. Try slipping an Army scabbard into it. The leather snap should fit through both rings of the Army scabbard.

But as Alex says, it is Bulgarian.
Posted By: Dave Re: Frog ID - 06/21/2017 02:39 PM
Fitzer,

Try an SA dagger in there and see if the leather retain could fit through he ring.

Dave
Posted By: Jim W Re: Frog ID - 06/21/2017 02:58 PM
Here is a phot from Berger showing the correct use of the frog.

I suggest you be very careful not to destroy the frog by trying to force an oversized scabbard into it.

Attached picture Bulgarian Frog0002.jpg
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Frog ID - 06/22/2017 01:09 AM
Thanks fellas...great knowledge and info.
Dave, that's what I originally thought it was - a variation of an SA vertical smile
Now I have to buy the dagger for it...:D. I suppose I could put one of my Armies in it.

Its odd that a frog would be designed to fit scabbard rings that would normally be for hangers?
Posted By: Jim W Re: Frog ID - 06/22/2017 01:23 AM
I think it would be a good question of the army collectors if any units authorized vertical wear. The only ones I have seen are on Bulgarian daggers.

The Bulgarians used distinct fabric hangers so the vertical wear was special. the one photo has the King wearing a distinct dagger and it is in a vertical holder. So it appears to be for a Bulgarian Honor Dagger.

Sorry we don't know more. They were relatively small armies.
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Frog ID - 06/22/2017 01:35 AM
Thanks Jim, nothing in Witty's book about hanger/frog variations either. It would be interesting to learn if early German armies did have variations in wear before the regular hangers became standard
© Your new forums