UBB.threads
Hello guys what is the fair market value of a Red cross leader's dagger portepee, style with red specs and red acorn insert? Do most known reproductions/copies glow under UV? Thanks and cheers, Ryan
Posted By: wotan Re: value of Red Cross leaders dagger portepee - 02/01/2017 02:44 AM
Hello Ryan, up to now I have not seen any specked RK leaderīs portepee which did look original. I do have several "wearing2 pics and there is nowhere a flecked cord to be seen on DR leaders portepees. This said I have to add, that the rare postal protection leader portepee is sometimes erroneously taken as RK portepee. And yes, on my PPdagger wearing pics you can clearly see the flecked cord.
A photograph of your portepee in question would perhaps help.
Yes, fakes do (mostly) glow under UV but sometimes you have to examine very carefull, press slightly(!) apart the strands on the acorn or even the cord to check the material beneath the outer strands.
Regards,
Thanks again I have seen the Reddick and Johnson knots recently I have seen an example on a dagger that looked original with wear patterns and it did not glow owner did not consider the knot much of anything and was not asking a premium for it with dagger cheers and many thanks, Ryan
Posted By: Billy G. Re: value of Red Cross leaders dagger portepee - 02/03/2017 11:27 PM
Ryan,

Wotan's advice is excellent, try to separate the cords gently & see if there is any glow whatsoever underneath.
thanks guys did that already no glow cheers
Posted By: DTS Re: value of Red Cross leaders dagger portepee - 02/04/2017 03:42 AM
Could you post some pictures?
Thanks.
© Your new forums