UBB.threads
Posted By: Baz69 Unknown knot - 10/29/2015 09:30 PM
Here's one I just picked up due to it's similarities to the standard hunting knot, it was described as a Saxony Officers knot, it could be but it's similarities to the hunting knots is striking, the differences are the lack of green flecking in the crown and the large size of the ball, it's also doesn't have a slide.
Anybody got any idea's.

Gary

Attached picture 1 - 4.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 3.jpg
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Unknown knot - 10/29/2015 09:34 PM
Here's a picture of the known hunting knot types to compere.

Gary

Attached picture Hunting knots 002 (Medium).jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: Unknown knot - 10/30/2015 06:45 PM
Baz69, the knot in question would fit to Saxony as pictured in Kreutz/Hofmann/Johnson/Reddick "Edged Weapon Accouterments of Germany 1800-1945" pg. 56, but there it is shown with a very short stem or no stem + slide (I cannot distinguish it in the scetch). As there are several other mistakes in this book I would not put too much weight on this special feature. Equal characteristics are at least the brocade band with the 4 green stripes and the green eye.
The more bulbous shape of the acorn and the slightly narrowing stem would also fit for the certain period.
Regards,
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Unknown knot - 10/30/2015 10:23 PM
Wotan

Unfortunately I have that book and whilst there is some resemblance I do not think there is enough to prove it one way or another, yes there are a few mistakes in this book but the real pity is the lack of period pictures of knots, rather than the line drawings of an interpretation of the knot in question.

That's why I tend to buy as many interesting knots as I can, to have a period example of a knot is so much better than an interpretation of a knot in a book.

Thanks

Gary
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Unknown knot - 02/09/2017 01:09 AM
I have always considered that knot to be an early DJ knot because it is of silver bullion rather than the later aluminum bullion. However they usually have a slide
Posted By: wotan Re: Unknown knot - 02/09/2017 03:44 AM
Hello Houston, glad to see you here around again!
Regards,
© Your new forums