UBB.threads
Posted By: ORPO An Odd Portepee - 09/09/2013 01:28 AM
Gents,

I picked up an interesting Austro-Hungarian sword knot this weekend and it is a puzzlement. It is a variation Officer/Official knot from the time of Emperior Karl, who took the throne on 21 November 1916 and ruled until he relenquished his power in 1919 (and was then deposed). The knot itself is an interesting variation in that the lower stem, crown, and ball are made of stamped metal instead of real bullion embroidery. The bottom of the ball has a black velvet insert and I believe this particular knot style is for Beamte (Officals) rather than a Military Officer.

The interesting thing is that it has black/red/gold cloth colors on the stem of the Portepee that covers the "K" that has been on the knot for a very long time. The fellow I got it from did not even know that it was Austro-Hungarian so there is no back story for it. It seems to me that the Imperial Emperior's initial was covered up for postwar use. The problem with that is that the colors are not Austrian, which are red/white/red. I first thought they were perhaps provincial or municipal colors but they are not it seems. Provincial and municipal colors only consist of two colors during this time period and these three colors are not found in Austria or Hungary.

It seems that the black/red/gold colors in this order are German. They were used in this configuration by the German Weimar Republic and by two short lived independent states of Waldeck-Pyrmont (which became part of Prussia in 1921) and Reuss (which became part of Thuringia in 1920). My current thinking is that perhaps the knot was used by one of the Freikorps that existed in immediate postwar Germany but who knows?

I am certainly open to suggestions as to who may have worn this knot after 1918.

Attached picture Aust K knot.JPG
Attached picture Aust K knot ball.JPG
Attached picture Aust K knot stem.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/11/2013 10:19 AM
George,

Quite an interesting piece, never seen one like it before. Thanks for letting us have a look. wink

Best!

Bill
Posted By: derjager Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/11/2013 12:43 PM
It is an inspiring piece. I keep coming back to admire it. It speaks history.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: ORPO Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/11/2013 10:46 PM
I like the knot well enough just as a variation Austro-Hungarian Portepee. The postwar history with the Weimar colors is icing on the cake.

Here are a couple of other Austrian sword knots for comparison. The first gold knot with open tassels is a standard Officer Portepee from the time of Franz Joseph and has his cypher on the stem. The second silver knot with open tassels is a postwar Austrian Police Officer Portepee with the Red/White/Red Austrian colors on the stem. The third green and white knot with the closed ball is a Customs Beamte knot. This closed ball is the standard one made with twisted cords instead of stamped brass.

Attached picture Austrian Imperial Sword Knot.JPG
Attached picture Austrian Police Officer sword knot.JPG
Attached picture Austrian customs knot.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/14/2013 01:10 PM
G,

When you say the second knot is "postwar," you mean post-WWI,
correct..?

A good collection of knots is always most impressive to my way of thinking. Beautiful craftsmanship to these important accesories.

Best!

Bill
Posted By: ORPO Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/14/2013 02:34 PM
Bill,

Yes, I was unclear that the second knot shown above is from the time of the Austrian Republic between the wars. Thanks for the question. The third knot above that was for Customs is also from this same time period with the Republican eagle on the stem.

I have a variation of the first knot that has a metal stem and crown combined with an open bullion tassel. These seem to be wartime (WWI) variations.

Here is another post-WWI Austrian Police NCO (Beamte) knot with the closed ball. This one is all bullion but shows the closed ball type for Beamte. Last below is a Cavalry NCO knot with open tassels to show the military style of knot.

Attached picture Austrian Pol knot.JPG
Attached picture Austrian Republic knot.JPG
Attached picture Austrian Cavalry knot.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: An Odd Portepee - 09/16/2013 10:50 AM
George,

Many thanks for showing us your strange new knot. I too love accouterments & the many background details that go into them.
© Your new forums