UBB.threads
Posted By: lakesidetrader RZM marks on Hangers? - 01/07/2008 03:59 PM
A couple simple questions:
One thing that has always bothered me is the way Hangers are marked. The luftwaffe and Army were not under the control of the RZM system. RZM was for political organizations. We never, ( and I hate to say never) find rzm marked Army or Luft insignia etc. This being the case, why do we find RZM marked Luft hangers?
I have a theory here but it may be way off so I'd like to know your thoughts...

Lastly some luft hangers are only DRGM marked without a RZM mark. Does this mean they are earlier than the RZM marked examples.
As always I appreciate your thoughts as I'm here to learn too!
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: RZM marks on Hangers? - 01/07/2008 06:50 PM
Paul, i've always had it in my mind that since the Luftwaffe had its roots in the DLV, which was a decidedly political organization, there may have been a thought of producing RZM controlled and taxed items for them. This was more than likely contemplated before the control of the Luftwaffe was wrested from the party, and made the responsibility of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW)
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: RZM marks on Hangers? - 01/07/2008 07:51 PM
I don't think there is a absolute answer here but IMO it is just a manufacturer's preference and really does not mean anything except that the producer had an RZM number and was authorized to make party items. An RZM CONTRACT marked item is a different thing.
Perhaps they liked to make this known--that they were party approved. Remember that just because an item has an RZM number does not mean it is party approved--it is the manufacturer that is approved.
I believe that other small itmes that are not party can also be sometimes found with RZM marks.
DRGM means approx. Design protected by law. Nothing really to do with an RZM number.
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: RZM marks on Hangers? - 01/08/2008 02:45 AM
Ok Houston
So WKC was authorized to make RZM products why not put that on a dagger? We only see RZM on hangers.
I understand that DRGM has nothing to do with RZM. My thinking was that perhaps the RZM# superceeded the DRGM mark later in production....
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: RZM marks on Hangers? - 01/08/2008 03:25 AM
As I said I don't know the answer but I don't think WKC made hangers. Apples and Oranges. Accoutrement fitting maker vrs. edged weapon producer.
© Your new forums