UBB.threads
Posted By: JohnZ Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/11/2015 03:50 AM
To all my Canadian buddies, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving weekend.

John
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/11/2015 02:39 PM
Happy Thanksgiving John!
Posted By: Jim W Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/11/2015 04:50 PM
From the internet. Thanksgiving (French: Action de gr�ce), or Thanksgiving Day (Jour de l'action de gr�ce) is an annual Canadian holiday, occurring on the second Monday in October, which celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year. On January 31, 1957, a proclamation was issued stating Thanksgiving was to be "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed

While the actual Thanksgiving holiday is on a Monday, Canadians may gather for their Thanksgiving feast on any day during the long weekend. Foods traditionally served at Thanksgiving include roasted turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet corn, various fall vegetables (mainly various kinds of squashes but also Brussels sprouts), and pumpkin pie. Baked ham and apple pie are also commonly served, as well as regional dishes such as salmon or wild game.

Sounds good to me. I hope you guys enjoy the holiday

Jim
Posted By: Dave Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/11/2015 11:03 PM
Jim,

No Pelerins ? Peaux-Rouges ?

Art Buchwald wrote a hilarious piece more than 60 years ago while living in France and working for the New York Herald Tribune: "Le Jour de Merci Donnant"

You have to understand a bit of French to get the full impact .... I'll put it up in 7 weeks or so.

Meanwhile, Happy Thanksgiving, Canada.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/12/2015 02:22 PM
Dave,

I want to break it to you gently, but Canada is not part of France.

It is that country to the north of most of the United States, the one that shares the longest undefended border in the world with you and is your largest trading partner. Yes, French is one of two official languages here, but the real French do not consider it cultured, only a form of patois.

wink

John
Posted By: Dave Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/12/2015 03:18 PM
Yes, John, I know.

I lived in France twice and speak French although I am getting a little rusty as I have not lived in a Francophone country for over 30 years. Only real chance I get to speak it is at MAX.

Interesting French spoken in Canada. I understood well enough in Montreal and Quebec City, but the folks from the boondocks were something else.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/12/2015 06:28 PM
Dialects can drive one crazy. One time at the SOS, the waitress in the bar had such a strong Southern drawl that I couldn't understand her at all.. good thing that the New Yorkers and Texans were there to translate for me or I would never have gotten my Kentucky Ale!

J
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! - 10/12/2015 11:57 PM
grin LMAO

Originally Posted By: JohnZ
Dialects can drive one crazy. One time at the SOS, the waitress in the bar had such a strong Southern drawl that I couldn't understand her at all.. good thing that the New Yorkers and Texans were there to translate for me or I would never have gotten my Kentucky Ale!

J
© Your new forums