UBB.threads
Posted By: Dave The Odessa File - 04/27/2012 02:20 AM
I just finished reading "The Odessa File" again.

One of the most believable books written and with a good plot as well. No super heroes or unbelievable death-defying actions.

A young German freelance writer read the diary of a WWII concentration camp survivor and finds the motivation to find a concentration camp SS officer.

There are only two factual mistakes. The author equates men with lower SS serial numbers to senior rank over those with higher numbers; and he confuses the motto on the SS daggers with that of the Hitler youth. That is little when compared with much of the fiction churned out.

Anyway, a good read and cheap on Amazon/eBay.

Dave
Posted By: Gaspare Re: The Odessa File - 04/27/2012 02:39 AM
if any of you saw the movie,,forget it! - the book is way better!!
Posted By: spacey Re: The Odessa File - 05/04/2012 07:39 AM
Is it a historical fiction book?
Posted By: patrice Re: The Odessa File - 05/04/2012 01:47 PM

Completely fictional !
Posted By: Dave Re: The Odessa File - 05/04/2012 10:21 PM
Absolutely !! Totally fictional.

Except .... Edouard Roschmann was really the Commandant of Riga, he did escape after the war to South America.

And .... ODESSA, in the opinion of the experts really did exist.

Still a very good story.
Posted By: spacey Re: The Odessa File - 05/05/2012 06:48 AM
Just ordered used from amazon for $4 shipping included used! They also have "Blind Spot" - Traudl Junge DVD for around $8 and Hitler's Last Secretary - Traudl Junge (book) for $6. CHEAP.
Posted By: spacey Re: The Odessa File - 06/29/2012 05:34 AM
Posted By: Mikee Re: The Odessa File - 06/29/2012 08:04 AM
When I spoke with Traudl Junge, I didn't have her book on me at the time but another book about her from another author, but she was kind enough to sign it for me.
Posted By: spacey Re: The Odessa File - 06/30/2012 05:05 AM
Wow, pretty cool you met her. At the end of "Blind Spot", the narrator says she mentioned that she was just beginning to "forgive herself", and then died the next day. May or may not be a true account, but it could have happened.

Posted By: the russian Re: The Odessa File - 08/01/2012 01:09 PM
Thanks Dave, a really good read. Got it for 0.98 on Amazon.
© Your new forums