UBB.threads
Posted By: Degens Digital Cleaning - 09/29/2010 04:34 AM
A strange title I know but I thought a few people would like to see the possibilities of digitaly recovering detail from archived period photographs.
There is nothing special applied to the images below, other than readily available noise reduction software and sharpening techniques.
These pictures took 5 minutes for all three and I could have spent more time cleaning them up a little better but you get the idea smile.

Attached picture pro1.jpg
Attached picture pro2.jpg
Attached picture pro3.jpg
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Digital Cleaning - 09/29/2010 05:17 AM
Astounding! What amazing things can be done with technology. Thanks for the demonstration. I wish I were more "tech" inclined and knowledgeable.
Posted By: Swordfish Re: Digital Cleaning - 09/29/2010 09:31 AM
Degens,
Well done.

I use a free art-photo-shop program available online called paint.net. It's an excellent program, infact one of the best i've ever used, and best of all, it's free.

http://paint.net/

It has all the various features found in most purchased art and photo editing software. It's a great program I use regularly.
Posted By: Degens Re: Digital Cleaning - 09/29/2010 02:10 PM
Strangely, the worse the picture is for noise, the better the results are in many cases.

Comes in real handy if you are thinking of printing an image off for display purposes, although many people prefer the original aged look that came as default with celluloid and I cannot argue with that smile.

Here is one I spent a little more time over, remember that this picture has been shrunk in detail to fit the GDC filesize limit so much of the quality is lost.

Attached picture pro4.jpg
Posted By: Mr. Jerry Re: Digital Cleaning - 10/03/2010 05:23 AM
Wow,
I am always impressed with your work! The new pics look so clean they look like new Hollywood stills!
Posted By: John P. Moore Re: Digital Cleaning - 10/10/2010 07:21 AM
The restoration effects look very good to me and I have become somewhat skilled with Adobe PhotoShop over the past 15+ years. However, there are probably those purists out there who would say that retouching an original period photo is like removing the patina from a Totenkopfring or dagger.

john
© Your new forums