UBB.threads
Posted By: ORPO Austrian M1869 Cavalry Saber - 07/28/2022 04:23 PM
Gents,

I picked up a very nice Austrian Model 1869 Cavalry Saber at a local military show last winter that I thought I would show. This is a private purchase example of the issue sword for Enlisted Men and NCOs. It was made by Weyersberg & Stamm in Solingen and so marked on the reverse ricasso of the blade. The obverse ricasso is marked, "Eisenhauer" or Iron Cutter indicating high quality steel. These swords are interesting in that the sword is massive with a wide nickeled blade. The blade has a pronounced ricasso and a wide fuller on the obverse side with a flat slab side on the reverse. The nickeled steel basket guard has a rolled reinforcement along the edges with seven round drain holes and two slots for the attachment of a sword knot. The plated steel backstrap is plain with two "ears" near the basket guard. The grip is sharkskin made without wire for Enlisted Men. The nickeled steel scabbard has a suspension bar on the back near the throat and a fixed ring below the bar.

I was happy to find this particular sword at the show.

Attached picture Austro-Hung Cav sword.JPG
Attached picture Austro-Hung sword maker.JPG
Attached picture Austrian Cav EM saber Eisenhauer.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Austrian M1869 Cavalry Saber - 07/28/2022 10:59 PM
Looks like a heavy mother too! Whats the length??
Posted By: C. Wetzel-20609 Re: Austrian M1869 Cavalry Saber - 02/06/2023 08:57 PM
I would like to note that this sword is marked "Hugo Weyersberg & Sohn, Solingen".

Maybe I will start a thread for my "Weyersberg & Stamm, Solingen" Hirschfanger.
Posted By: ORPO Re: Austrian M1869 Cavalry Saber - 02/15/2023 01:36 AM
Thanks for the correction on the maker. I mis-read the stamp.
© Your new forums