UBB.threads
Posted By: Notaguru Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/12/2011 09:29 PM
I'm looking for photos of an Italian 1935 MSVN Dagger. I know there's one with a black scabbard and one with a chrome scabbard, what's the difference?
Brian Rich
"A Grateful Nation"
16020 Church St.
Amelia Court House, VA
Facebook.com/agreatefulnation
Posted By: Jim W Re: Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/13/2011 03:07 PM
As a general rule, it is the M1932 that has the balc and nickle scabbards. The nickle scabbard was for formal wear and the balck scabbard for daily use.

If it is the same dagger you speak of.

Here is the 1935, not to be confused with the 1932.

Attached picture 279 Italian (1).JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/13/2011 03:12 PM
Here is the model 1932

Attached picture 32OPEN.jpg
Posted By: Notaguru Re: Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/13/2011 11:24 PM
Thanks Jim. Were there different grips materials used on the 1935? I was informed by one collector that the black scabbard was for Majors down, nickle for COL up. Is this the case or just a myth?
Brian
Posted By: Jim W Re: Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/13/2011 11:36 PM
Berger has a clear description. As regards the scabbard, Generals had a service scabbard that was black with no Fasces or MVSN. For dress the Generals had a nickel dress scabbard that did have the Fasces and MVSN.

All other ranks including officers below General had the black scabbard. The officers scabbards did not have the MVSN or Fasces.

While the presence or lack of the fascis and MVSN may seem confusing, this dagger was actually worn by Italian soldiers. So the officers could not give their loyalty to both the army and the party. So they were supose to not show the MVSN.

Anyway, the officers daggers all had ebony grips as opposed to the mahogony or cherry.

General officers were suppose to have ivory grips.

So, if your scabbard is original, nickle plated, then the dagger sitting in it must have an Ivory or Ivorine grip. Otherwise you have a case of someone nickle plating a scabbard.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info.
Posted By: Notaguru Re: Need photos of 1935 MSVN dagger, - 06/14/2011 02:15 AM
Jim:
That pretty much fills in a lot for me. Where would you find an Ivory gripped 1935 MSVN? I can't even find a photo of one. Probably out of my price range anyway.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Brian
© Your new forums