UBB.threads
Posted By: Mikee This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 03/27/2023 12:08 AM
We come across quite a few unknown maker marks so if you have a maker mark and its unknown, lets post them here and just maybe we can figure out who the maker is. Thank you.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 03/27/2023 01:28 PM
I am on vacation for a week so not here. But , yes please go ahead here. Very difficult because the hallmarking law excluded 'ssmall items', which means rings. But there are a few weird ones out there.

SO ,
IF you have a hallmark on a Ring , fob , cufflinks , Cigg case , tie clip , broach, etc. post them here and maybe some new findings will come out!
Posted By: benten Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 03/28/2023 01:42 PM
Mikee, a nice initiative here, because discovering the origin of the silvermark enlarges the knowledge of the history of our rings.

Gaspare, let’s hope many members wil respond to this interesting topic .
Posted By: benten Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 03/28/2023 01:44 PM
Here a ring from an American vet from Sicily 1943 with a silvermark 800? inside a diamond shape. Most likely it is an Italian mark , which knows different shapes with 800.
https://www.silvercollection.it/italianhallmarks.html

Attached picture 1 W.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 03/29/2023 10:52 PM
Hey benten,

Thanks, can't agree more and it's certainly needed. Hopefully we can solve this. Best!
Posted By: Gaspare Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/04/2023 12:22 AM
Benten,,

I think that just being a content mark and the blank doesn't have the Fascio etc. mark ,,,its a band made for export... Remember the non stamping of hallmarks on small items was accepted everywhere even the US during the war / before and after and most countries.. For export they were worried about the material and the silver content. In this case its 800... Thats a fine ring you got there!

OK guys,,,maybe a translation for this one! [first time I ever saw it]. It is a very early German band , probably early 1920s:

Attached picture RF4.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/04/2023 03:45 AM
I'm thinking Sum is total or guarantee and Platin is Platinum. My guess for now.
Posted By: Mikee Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/04/2023 04:22 AM
Sum is a abbreviation maybe.
Posted By: benten Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/04/2023 01:40 PM
Gaspare, that it very good info. Thanks.

Mikee I think you are on the right way .

SUM-platin
Could be a kind of trade name for a chemical alloy, plating or wash .
In chemistry, the German word “Summenformel”, wich is a formula of chemicals .
Just a guess.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/14/2023 01:57 PM
Benten,, I think thats the best we're going to get,,,,thanks..

A good site I hope many have seen already..

http://www.nobelantik.dk/www/Fgerman_marks_a1884.html

And,, here are other countries for our period. Remember, Germany and other countries rarely maker marked their 'small' pieces so most don't have anything except a silver content:

https://www.830-1000.dk/foreign_marks.html
Posted By: Mikee Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/14/2023 06:31 PM
benten,

Without a maker mark I think your right the 800 content mark within a diamond is going to be key. It's going to be a tough one to crack.
Posted By: benten Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 04/15/2023 08:57 AM
Yes Mikee, we have the time smile
Posted By: Gaspare Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 09/04/2023 02:44 PM
Saw this on German eBay.. A blank ring someone had carved all up with nonsense..

The hallmark quite clear though,,835,,and what looks like a lion ... Wartime? postwar? Maybe someone knows.............

Attached picture Hallmark.jpg
Posted By: benten Re: This thread is for all unknown maker marks - 09/05/2023 10:28 AM
The shape of the lion looks like the " symbol" of the Brunswick lion statue.

There is also various tinnies with this lion.
© Your new forums