UBB.threads
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/15/2023 11:10 PM
Hello,

here's an interesting ring sold as italian, but I personally disagree.

What's your opinion ?

Ric

Attached picture BuyUnknownRing1.2.JPG
Attached picture BuyUnknownRing1.3.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 09:06 AM
many probably saying that because the cartouche is oval as many Italian rings are.... But ,,,, its looks like it has colors,,red , white , and yellow [?].... Don't know those colors IF I'm seeing them correctly on my monitor,, but they wouldn't be the Italian colors if I am seeing them right.... Other than being oval it doesn't strike me as being Italian.....

That hand gesture has to be some clue... I've seen it thrown up used as a religious sign [3 for trinity],,,but it can, and probably is some kind of other meaning..... Are the colors what I am seeing correct? Red,White, Yellow? Does it look like paint? , or?

So we have a bit of detective work to find out what that hand sign is !! Come on guys one of you must recognize it...

The relief is deep and with good details appears well made... Ric in your hands does it appear to be silver?

So ,,,,, colors and hand sign,,,come on,,,lets get those search engines revving and solve this mystery !!
Posted By: Stephen Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 09:21 AM
Looks like the Boy Scout two-fingered salute. Also, the 'yellow' looks like pale (maybe faded) green to me. If so, it could be the Italian colours.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 09:54 AM
Hello,

thank you for kind reply.

Assuming colours are from left to right : red - white - green , as I see them this way........it's still wrong if referred to Italian flag (green - white - red)...................but if you look at ring upside down (see below), then colours position appear correct for an italian flag.

Fingers position remembers me an hand simulating a firing revolver.

Furtherly, what's containing enamel sectors ? ........a stilized steel helmet ?

Ric

P.S. as soon as got it in hands , I will be able to tell more.....

Attached picture UnknownRing2.JPG
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by SpitfireVb
Looks like the Boy Scout two-fingered salute.........

I would tend to exclude Boy Scout salute, because they keep three fingers united.......not two.....along with a different position of thumb finger.

Ric

Attached picture BoyScoutSalute.JPG
Posted By: Stephen Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 12:52 PM
Boy Scouts, generally use the three-finger salute but the Cub Scouts use a two-finger salute. The two fingers represent the two rules of the Cub Scout Law ('One Oath, One Law'). They also symbolise the two ears of a wolf. Furthermore, two fingers might also be easier to salute with compared to the three-finger salute, which is used by older age groups in Scouting. This makes it easier for the younger kids. Personally, I find all of this a weird thing to teach children.

But you're probably correct Ric. I doubt that this is a Boy Scout ring.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 04:47 PM
Thank you, Spit.......for explanation....I admit my ignorance on the subject.

Ric
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 11:09 PM
We all learning something here! ,,

Ric,,,if its not a small fortune I think a good mystery piece to have in a collection. It does have age to it.... Sooner or later you will find out the mystery what the ring is!!
Posted By: Vern Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/16/2023 11:16 PM
Red white and green are the national colors of Hungary so that may be a possibility.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/18/2023 10:56 PM
Vern,

you're right about colours, but Ungarian flag show them from top to bottom....not from left to right.

Ric

Attached picture HungaryFlag.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/18/2023 11:47 PM
shame there is no hallmark in the band or even content... Really we can't even tell which side is 'up' for wearing! Its got to be one of the strangest rings we've had on in a long while.. I hope one of us can figure out something on it! smile
Posted By: benten Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/19/2023 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gaspare
shame there is no hallmark in the band or even content... Really we can't even tell which side is 'up' for wearing! Its got to be one of the strangest rings we've had on in a long while.. I hope one of us can figure out something on it! smile

I’m not sure , but because the ring is so odd and rare…. It could be from a local Schlaraffia organization .

https://www.milwaukeeindependent.co...ng-men-appreciate-art-humor-friendship/.

Please look at the last picture of the site above, the man at his desk ; as you can see they have all kind of attributes, swords, badges, chains, necklaces ; why not rings…? Please look at the shields on the table .

This site is American, but in Germany, there are also many Schlaraffia organizations:

https://www.meinbezirk.at/baden/c-l...hlaraffia-aquae-thermae-feierte_a5324500
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/21/2023 05:40 PM
benten,

I'm with you. I think it's Masonic but which order or fraternity? I posted a Helmet, I researched it turned out to be Masonic. I can't remember which order it was, It's been years now and I can't find the thread. The order of the Odd Fellows has a heart in open hand symbol. So if we search in Masonic land we will find the answer. Best!
Posted By: Dave Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/21/2023 06:55 PM
Maybe Hungarian masonic ?
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/22/2023 07:39 AM
Interesting assumption.....thank you in advance for any further clue.

Ric
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/23/2023 08:12 AM
Finally, got it in hands.

I can tell you is by real silver, having two digits of content mark barely visible (83?) and I confirm colours are : green - white - red (or viceversa) by enamel....not painted.

Ric
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/23/2023 09:31 AM
...assuming shape containing enamel is a stilized steel helmet, here's another possible explanation.

Ric

P.S. shape containing enamel could represent also a shovel......so could it be related to Hungarian labour service ?

Attached picture Giuramento1.JPG
Attached picture Giuramento2.JPG
Attached picture Giuramento3.JPG
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/24/2023 01:12 PM
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/487392479/vintage-german-silver-oath-ring-student

Ric
Posted By: Dave Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/24/2023 02:29 PM
Ric,

That ring has 4 color panels, not 3. A modern adaptation.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/24/2023 04:25 PM
I agree.......meaning of three colours in mine still remains without explanation.

Pic for future reference.

Ric

Attached picture UnknownRing3.JPG
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/24/2023 04:33 PM
Btw, no seam is visible by these pics, while my ring has a nice one.

Ric

Attached picture UnknownRing4.JPG
Attached picture UnknownRing5.JPG
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/25/2023 06:29 PM
Hey Ric,

To find out which fraternity, match the student fraternity colors on your ring to the fraternity colors on their coat of arms.This is just a start their are many. good luck. Let us know when you get a match. Best! https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_student_fraternities_in_Germany
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/25/2023 08:50 PM
Hey Ric,

To give you and idea. Not sure without a little more researching and study but this could be the one and I actually believe it is. Because this fraternity is Catholic the hand with two fingers and thumb symbol is one of the signs representing the Holy Trinity. The official colors are green, white and red. Contact them and ask send them pictures can't hurt lol Best! https://www.kav-lovania.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.A.V._Lovania_Leuven
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/25/2023 09:23 PM
I forgot to add that the two closed fingers represent the dual nature of Christ as both man and God. Best
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/26/2023 09:18 AM
Thank you....Mikee......much appreciated.

Ric
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/26/2023 08:09 PM
Ric,

Not a problem. When you contact them please let us know so we can put this baby to bed for sure. Best!
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/26/2023 08:13 PM
Hey G,

Would it be possible to have a thread dedicated to unknown maker marks? Thank you.
Posted By: Dave Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/26/2023 09:35 PM
Sure, Mikee,

Start one up. but should it be just rings, or other goodies too ?

Dave
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 03/26/2023 11:59 PM
Hey Dave,

I would say for all unknown maker marks. But since we see more unknown maker marks in the ring forum start a thread there and ask members to post them. Thanks Dave.
Posted By: Mahler Re: Unknown ring supposed to be italian - 07/19/2023 10:55 AM
This is definitely an oath ring, but to what I don't know. The enamel has a shape of a helmet and the two finger sign pointing towards the sky means "to / by God"

The helmet is upside down meaning to death / until I fall
© Your new forums