UBB.threads
Posted By: Gaspare Paris 1940 ring - 11/14/2022 12:29 AM
French campaign rings have always been around.. Usually a charm of the Eiffel Tower mounted on a blank ring with 'Paris' engraved on it somewhere for a soldiers sweety.. But with everyone collecting rings the last 6 , 10 years ago now everything is out there to take your money..

They usually look like this helmeted ring.. Bad design,, poor quality,, faults all over it.

Saw a ring on another forum that peaked my interest. From an old timer whos had it for years and from hanging out with old friends or something like that.... I could not give him an accurate opinion on it.. I contacted him and mentioned I'd love to see it in hand.. He mentioned maybe a trade!.. A trade!,,sure,, I have some stuff others might go crazy over but they are not dear to my heart.. So a trade was arranged..
After having it a week,, I'm going to give it a call. For my, my own opinion I think its period.... Its brass.. Rather plain. Has regular red enamel paint on it done a bit sloppy.. Had at one time a silver was.. At first I thought it was 2 piece,,,but its not..

So heres the bad fake,,and 2 of the one I traded for..

Attached picture Paris.jpg
Attached picture DSCN5671.JPG
Attached picture DSCN5658.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Paris 1940 ring - 11/14/2022 12:34 AM
It was made in the flat. In hand you can see lots of things. So was pressed at one time. Has a joining/sizing seam.... Remnants of a silver wash..
Maybe a really good campaign made ring[?] Lots of machine shops for the boats/subs etc. in France[?].. OR maybe a very small production run. Not so popular for the men and not something a woman would wear. So maybe just a few made and that was that..

I like it,, enjoy it, and a keeper for me... Now I'll have to find a Eiffel Tower one just to keep it company! grin

Attached picture DSCN5662.JPG
Attached picture DSCN5669.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Paris 1940 ring - 11/14/2022 07:57 PM
,,,, Well,,did some research,, I like the thing, and it's going in my permanent collection...

Any of you guys have a French campaign ring? A 'trench made', 'homemade, field made',,bought from jeweler? - One with the Eiffel Tower on it,,'Paris' engraved, maybe date... I'd love to see one or 2..

IF you have one, and the time please add it on here.., Thanks , G.
© Your new forums