UBB.threads
Posted By: Gaspare Malformed/bent ring bands - 03/23/2022 10:15 PM
Sometimes we get a ring and has the bent or dented band... Some of us have a rounding mandrel... For me the best thing you can do is leave it alone..

IF it has a enamel front cartouche and bent band I'd say there's a very good chance if you try and get it perfect round with mandrel your going to damage the enamel. I've seen nice rings when band trying to be re rounded the enamel crack , even a piece come out... - It can be done without a mandrel but its something you need a bit of practice doing..

My newly acquired ring has a slight bend/flat spot [red]. The front piece [blue] is separate.. IF I try and re round it there is a very good chance the cartouche could come right off....

It's not a big deal. You wipe it down, admire it, get it in its case...

Attached picture AL5.JPG
Attached picture AL6.JPG
Posted By: Stephen Re: Malformed/bent ring bands - 03/24/2022 08:52 AM
Thanks, Gaspare. Nobody has perfectly round fingers anyway! laugh
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Malformed/bent ring bands - 04/04/2022 06:50 PM
Even though a member saw this topic he used a 'ring sizer' to reform a band on a damaged enamel ring!! and guess what happened? The half piece of enamel that was in there cracked and came out! eek

This tool is not a ring sizer. Yes it has size lines / sizers on it... But with a special hammer can enlarger a band slightly without cutting and re soldering...

IF you have an *enamel ring or ring with *applied design like first photos do not use this tool to re round the band! Leave as is!!

Attached picture man2.jpg
Attached picture man.jpg
© Your new forums