UBB.threads
Posted By: hdmarley New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/10/2022 01:55 AM
Hey guys, I wanted to share my latest ring I purchased a couple months back. These old gems are tough to get! Sometimes I wished they were like black wound badges, cheap and on every dealer’s site. Anyway here are a couple pics minus a period box I have for one in the group photo.

Cheers

Attached picture A81D6948-DD33-40E8-BA12-DF4CEA4BE1CC.jpeg
Attached picture 1FE7BDDD-DCFB-434C-BFEE-C47FE297FDFC.jpeg
Attached picture B1114C7E-FD01-4BC3-9D2E-0F2857E24BAB.jpeg
Attached picture 76603F05-541F-4416-8337-3122137742FF.jpeg
Looks like an early one
Posted By: Gaspare Re: New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/10/2022 03:56 PM
Always a pleasure to see them anyway!!

- think we saw that one[?] but the one to the left of it looks new.[?]

'Blackies' ,Black enamel SS runic rings are all early.. Law came out in 33 or 34 stating not to produce any under penalty of law.. But those already produced , remaining stock from jewelers were probably tolerated being sold..

In my quest to find advertisements for SS rings I once was in contact with a 'paper' collector who had every issue of the official SS newspaper 'Der Swazie [spelling?] Korps' bound year by year.. I paid him to check/go thru front to back every issue for a advertisement [photo or line drawing] in the newspaper. None were found... frown.....

- just checked,,yes you showed collection. But that'd be a nice ring to see specific shots!
Posted By: Gaspare Re: New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/10/2022 06:15 PM
Photo credit: hdmarley

He graciously sent me these photos that needed a bit of resizing..

A nice SS 'Blackie'.. I call these Wilm style because they said they first designed them according to a family member..

Real glass enamel of course... See how the sides are a tiny bit puffy,,thats a good sign... And,,, the thin, narrow back of band..

Remember on all enamel rings.. The design on the cartouche must be flush with the enamel.. Not below,,not above.. Inner band always smooth and polished.

Very nice specimen!! that has had a tough life!

Attached picture dj.jpeg
Attached picture dj3.jpeg
Attached picture dj5.jpeg
Posted By: kingtiger Re: New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/18/2022 12:37 AM
G, I bought one like this from another member, Bernie Brule, many years ago. I thought it was leather surrounding the runes. Do you remember that ring? This was an interesting read! I still have the ring.

Mark
Leather! Like to see what that ring looks like, don’t think I’ve ever heard of something like that.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/18/2022 05:11 PM
yes, a real long time ago!! could be leather,,some kind of material that might have been burned etc...
Posted By: Mikee Re: New SS runes ring to my collection - 02/18/2022 09:34 PM
Mark,
Your ring would be interesting to have a good look at. Thank you
© Your new forums