UBB.threads
Posted By: benten BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/15/2022 08:19 AM
The style of the initials imo. look Russian ?

Due to the improvised saftypin , it could be prissoncamp made.

What's your opinion about this brooch?

Attached picture WEB (1).jpg
Attached picture WEB (2).jpg
Attached picture WEB (3).jpg
Attached picture WEB (4).jpg
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/15/2022 08:21 AM
Last pic......

Attached picture WEB (5).jpg
Posted By: Evgeniy Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/15/2022 03:19 PM
Russian (JW) ? )))
No, this is mistake , in Russia don't use latin symbols in alphabet
Posted By: Gaspare Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/15/2022 03:29 PM
Well,, it is artistic and the person certainly had some talent!!

The real key is to find out what the 2 letters are...

- Letters look like might be a J and a W,,,so I don't think it could be Russian.. Polish,,a possibility.... We have members from Russia here so maybe they can tell you better. We have a large international membership,,but its the slow season so many don't check in as much but hopefully you'll get some more answers... Nice piece though!
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/15/2022 05:00 PM
Yes, I know the Cyrillic letters. On the brooch are the Western letters. There are rings of Germans soldiers, with western initials . Initial rings, made by local Russians as a souvenir for German soldiers.

The brooch is engraved by hand and is, may be, made from a coin.....the engraving technic on the front is very good,there is used a very specialized tool( kind of very small fork) to flatten the engavings background; see detail pic.2
But on the backside the pin is sloppy improvised with an ordinary saftypin. ?
Posted By: Mikee Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/16/2022 04:14 AM
Hey benten,

Agree it's a JW/WJ? It is a research piece that's for sure. Not saying this pin is one but Chinese made safety pins rust. They are normally made of spring steel, brass, and stainless steel.All the best in your research.
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/16/2022 04:10 PM
Thanks, Mikee.
Posted By: Mahler Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/16/2022 06:23 PM
I can't tell what country it was made in, but I'm pretty sure from the style of it that it's mid 1900s and most likely a womans brooch. It's a cool piece, unique. If it's not russian, try look for Finnish designs. I don't know why but when I see it I think of Finland.
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/16/2022 10:08 PM
Finland , Scandinavia , that could be a very good possibility .
Posted By: Gaspare Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/19/2022 02:53 AM
Benten,, find some Finn coins,,take measurements [or other countries] and when you find the right measurements you have them both tested by a jeweler for content!

Long shot for sure,,,but a good long term project!
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/19/2022 08:14 AM
Gaspare, thank you for your info.
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/19/2022 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mahler
I can't tell what country it was made in, but I'm pretty sure from the style of it that it's mid 1900s and most likely a womans brooch. It's a cool piece, unique. If it's not russian, try look for Finnish designs. I don't know why but when I see it I think of Finland.
I see what you mean here. The white heraldic rose is used in the lotta svard symbol, looks similar. Air Force also has a similarly shaped design with shortened wings in a circle around a static swastika.
Posted By: benten Re: BROOCH RUSSIAN ? - 01/22/2022 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Mike (aka Byzanti)
Originally Posted by Mahler
I see what you mean here. The white heraldic rose is used in the lotta svard symbol, looks similar. Air Force also has a similarly shaped design with shortened wings in a circle around a static swastika.

Well spotted. As a supplement here the symbol of lotta Svärd and a part of the lotta Svärd badge .

Attached picture x lotta svärd ef.jpg
Attached picture x lotta svärd efa.jpg
© Your new forums