UBB.threads
Posted By: Stephen Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 10:38 AM
Hi,

Has anyone come across a skull ring like this? It looks more like an alien head than a human skull to me. The silver mark is 925 with a letter 'Z' in a box.
Thanks folks,

Stephen

Attached picture P1000056.JPG
Attached picture P1000059.JPG
Attached picture P1000061.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 02:05 PM
I see your Z is in a box.. . Can't really see clear on my monitor,,,,does the Z itself look like this?

Attached picture Zeitner Logo.jpg
Posted By: Stephen Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gaspare
I see your Z is in a box.. . Can't really see clear on my monitor,,,,does the Z itself look like this?
Looks like a regular Z to me, Gaspare. The tail of the lower horizontal part of the Z is enlarged though.
Posted By: Stephen Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 02:38 PM
Best I can do.

Attached picture P1000061.JPG
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 04:09 PM
My best guess for now is Franz Ziehme.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 05:20 PM
Thats pretty good Mikee!! , I have no idea,,just wondering if it matched what I posted. That is the Zeitner maaker mark...

I've also seen the ring with a more detail in the wings... Looks like a postwar cast ring.. I've seen your pattern before too.. I knew a guy that had a advert [line drawing] for the ring and insisting it was a wartime pattern but he would never explain or show anything that would have a date... Yours is a old ring,,just don't think it is wartime old..

- Anyone else have a example [new or old] of this pattern you could show us? , Thanks , G.
Posted By: Stephen Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/14/2021 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mikee
My best guess for now is Franz Ziehme.
Was he a silversmith/jeweller, Mikee? I have wondered if this ring is from the early 30s as it doesn‘t resemble any of the familiar Third Reich patterns.
Posted By: Mikee Re: Unusual skull ring - 09/15/2021 01:50 AM
Hi G,
No it matches pretty much to the mark on the ring except for the square border. But as far as I can find he's the only one with a plain old Z mark. Of course possibly more that I'm unaware of.. So for now that's as close as it comes until we find another with the square around the Z mark.

Hi Spitfire, Franze Ziehme is listed as a goldschmied from Artern Germany which by the way was in the former GDR. Best!
© Your new forums