UBB.threads
Posted By: lore vergessen Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/19/2017 07:33 PM
1) is this one good original WW2?
2) what to make of the marks - possibly Netherlands - was this done on the band? what is the other mark?

Attached picture SKULL RING 11.jpg
Attached picture SKULL RING 12.jpg
Attached picture SKULL RING 13.jpg
Attached picture SKULL RING 14.jpg
Attached picture SKULL RING 15.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/19/2017 07:35 PM
a better one one of band

Attached picture SKULL RING 16.jpg
Attached picture skull ring band.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/19/2017 09:59 PM
Those are Dutch hallmarks. I have a similar sword on my wolfshook ring. Google Dutch hallmarks to find out the date code
Posted By: DAK1941 Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/20/2017 03:13 AM
I would bet that they are import marks. Many nations required those marks on any jewelry imported into the country as proof of metal content.
Posted By: DAK1941 Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/20/2017 03:28 AM
The sword indicates a silver content of at least .833. The other mark could be a makers mark, but the letter V was used as a duty mark on foreign imports, so that's what I would lean towards.
Posted By: ado Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/20/2017 04:52 AM
Here is mine Lore, same Dutch (sword & inner 835 stamp) hallmarks on the outer ring band.

Attached picture IMG_5591.PNG
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/20/2017 08:24 PM
I bought this ring and was hoping I did OK with a genuine one. thanks all for the comments. Ado, beautiful collection you have of course.
Posted By: Mark4321 Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/21/2017 11:58 AM
If you are asking for opinions I'd say unfortunately this looks a lot like it is cast, and that usually means a repro, best of my knowledge.
Sorry but I feel it's best to know where you're standing, always.
Mark
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/21/2017 01:14 PM
Thats definitely possible. There's an area top/rear of skull that's not too promising... does seem thick as well.
Posted By: hapur Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/21/2017 01:38 PM
Ring is cast without doubts.
Posted By: Mark4321 Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/21/2017 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: hapur
Ring is cast without doubts.

Thank you, Sir. I know your expert verdict is rock-solid.
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 02:01 AM
Please look at this photo...what is the extra material at the top behind the skull? Are they faking these stamps? I have to say this ring is very detailed if cast!
Please more comments gents

Attached picture detail skull ring 2.jpg
Attached picture Detail skull ring 1.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 03:21 AM
Yes, Lore- that was the part that concerned me too. If it is a cast piece, I could see it as an overflow that wasn't cleaned up by the jeweler after the ring was extracted from the mold. Like a spillover muffin top, or the edges of a cupcake that swell beyond the baking tin. Just a thought, I could certainly be incorrect in that notion.
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 03:26 AM
Thanks Mike, I may return it for a refund based on it being modern if that is true, it just looks so convincing other than this part. I got it from someone who has no clue on these type of rings so I do not think they were misrepresenting it even though they marketed it as an antique skull ring. This one really confuses me due to detail and stamps. Can someone please tell us if these stamps have been reported?
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 03:26 AM
Reproduced I meant on the stamps, see above
Posted By: hapur Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 06:21 AM
It is not hard to make those stamps brand new, and they can be cast also without much trouble.
Posted By: odal Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 05/23/2017 07:08 PM
Mmmh
The Ffcts. Seam seems to be there and hallmarks doesn`t look bad on this pics but need a closer inspection/better pics.
From the pics i agree with Harpur, ring looks cast and....the band is a little t thick in the area of seam, at the most it is a very small size.

Otherwise, i know a lot of guys here will disagree, in my opinion casting (in rings too) was done period by some companies.

So for me without more background at least a very questionable ring and not worth to invest a lot of Money.
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Skull Ring with sword markings - 06/08/2017 03:05 AM
I returned the ring for a full refund as I was not happy with it, so I am sure the offensive extra material at top of skull on back will be filed off and re-sold now that I called it to their attention, so this one will be back on the market.
© Your new forums