UBB.threads
Posted By: lore vergessen Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/25/2017 10:44 PM
Hello Ring Men!

I have had these 2 rings but wanted to post clear photos so I could get an appraisal as to value for each as I would like to possibly sell them. I was told they are rarer variety of skull. The crushed skull is hollow underneath and of 2 piece construction. please comment or PM me. I am looking to sell in order to buy / or trade for high quality silver runic brooches
thank you!

Attached picture skull 1a.jpg
Attached picture skull 2a.jpg
Attached picture skull 1b.jpg
Attached picture skull 2b.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/25/2017 10:47 PM
skull 1

Attached picture skull 1g.jpg
Attached picture skull 1f.jpg
Attached picture skull 1d.jpg
Attached picture skull 1c.jpg
Attached picture skull 1e.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/25/2017 10:53 PM
Skull 2

Attached picture skull 2d.jpg
Attached picture skull 2c.jpg
Attached picture skull 2h.jpg
Attached picture skull 2g.jpg
Attached picture skull 2f.jpg
The smashed skull! Very nice- I have an identical one... it's not a bad thing! Lovely patina on it, stamp is in right place- if it's crushec (very common) it's hollow! That's what we're looking for! I also have a "smashed" skull 100% intact with an additional "Ln" mark- and it came with its original box, along with a personalized, dated (25.10.1935 I believe) engraving on the inner band- very much like an sshr! These are wonderful known pattern rings! The skull and snakes, also a well-known pattern- nicely upgraded with stones in the eyes- altogether 2 great period kantinenrings!!!
Posted By: odal Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/26/2017 10:31 AM
I like the first.
The second is a variant i don`t know.
Is the skull soldered on?
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/26/2017 06:20 PM
Odal,
Soldered on the red eye ring?

Does anyone have period adverts for these rings? I would like to see them.
Posted By: odal Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/26/2017 06:58 PM
Yes, the one with red eyes.
I think the skull should be hollow because silver was rather expensive.
You often see this on rings that the skull is hollow and soldered on.
Does the red eye ring appear to be solid or hollow, Lore?
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 12:50 AM
hard to tell for me. Can someone post an example?

I just looked at under a loop and took a couple more pics. I see a line on both sides and along the top but they finished over it by filling in the crack and polishing over the seam, it looks like. Very hard to tell though.
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 12:54 AM
here you can kind of see the worked over seam and some soldering.

Attached picture skull seam.jpg
Attached picture skull seam 2.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 01:05 AM
Looked at the top again in natural light and I can definitely see a line across the top of the skull, hard to capture in a photo but here it is.

Attached picture skull top line.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 01:17 AM
oh wow! and look at what I just noticed on the other ring, never saw this before for some reason, says "RF" I think. Gotta be Himmler's ring -ReichsFuehrer! wink

Attached picture skull RF.jpg
Posted By: odal Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 06:12 AM
Looks like a well done soldering job.
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 01:28 PM
Odal, are you saying that in a positive or negative way. I assume positive, but you did not further comment.

Did some research and came up with these period ads like my ring. The one ad even says it has red eyes (roten steinen).

The detail on this ring is incredible.

So no one out there has this pattern in their collections??!

Attached picture skull ring mine close-up for forum.JPG
Attached picture skull ring forum.jpg
Attached picture skull ring like mine 2.jpg
Attached picture skull ring like mine 1.jpg
Posted By: lore vergessen Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 01:48 PM
Took a few more pics in natural light. And in the pic of the skull stack, you can see marks where someone pried out stones from the eyes of the crushed skull.

Attached picture red eye skull 1.jpg
Attached picture red eye skull 2.jpg
Attached picture red eye skull 3.jpg
Attached picture red eye skull 4.jpg
Attached picture skulls.jpg
Posted By: odal Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 04:52 PM
If this skull is hollow and soldered on as it looks, i havn`t any problems with this ring.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/27/2017 08:13 PM
# 34527 is a different ring. It has a big, rounder skull..

Skull and snakes were popular.. some say Himmler wore one most of the time.
He certainly was a 'ring man',,there is more than one photo of him wearing 3 even 4 rings on one hand! [2 on one finger!]..

You have 3 nice old skull rings there,,stop worrying and enjoy them!
Posted By: Mark4321 Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/28/2017 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: lore vergessen
Odal, are you saying that in a positive or negative way. I assume positive, but you did not further comment.

Did some research and came up with these period ads like my ring. The one ad even says it has red eyes (roten steinen).

The detail on this ring is incredible.

So no one out there has this pattern in their collections??!

What I find interesting is that the ad for 34527 says 'MASSIV'...
What do you boys say to that?
Mark
Interesting... well, I think that means "solid"' in german- but it might have to do with the appearance, as many of the pieces had hollow (and open) backs. But you bring up a good point.
Posted By: odal Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/28/2017 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark4321

What I find interesting is that the ad for 34527 says 'MASSIV'...
What do you boys say to that?
Mark

Is in this case in the meaning...made frome pure silver.
Posted By: Mark4321 Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/28/2017 09:34 PM
So in this case massiv Silber, not massiv as in no hollow skull...?
Yes- odal is a native speaker, so I'd say he's correct...but I'm learning!! I've just learned to capitalize my nouns...lol smile
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Two Rare Rings - Red glass eye skull - 04/29/2017 04:15 AM
34527,,,has a similar band,,but a totally different skull pattern, larger, different shape etc.

Attached picture DSCN1787.JPG
© Your new forums