UBB.threads
Posted By: CMT04 POW Ring - 03/11/2017 06:14 AM
Here's one of my newest rings..

Attached picture IMG_4221.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4222.JPG
Attached picture IMG_4223.JPG
Posted By: The_Collector Re: POW Ring - 03/11/2017 11:25 AM
Seen a few of these for sale , believe they were post war made , any previous history with your ring ?
Posted By: odal Re: POW Ring - 03/11/2017 05:14 PM
Mmmmh confused

Difficult pattern and controversal disscused.

Some collectors say real and some say fantasy.
But for sure from both sides of course a post war ring.

This pattern is are around in, i think so, every POW-camp for Germans that has exist in the USA.
None for the large US POW-camps here in Germany.

I myself don`t real know what i shall think about. I had one,
camp Ashford if i remember right, and sold it.

Fact is such rings are still produced to this times.
Here a link:

http://www.bodenseeschmiede.com/German-Prisoneres-of-War-Ring

An other fact is some militaria collectors here in Germany have one or other of this pattern and swear it is directly from the former owner, a former POW in the USA.

Interesting what i found out over the years in collecting.
An older jeweler in a german forum for jewelry knows this ring pattern for long years.
He says it is a real pattern, ring always made in lost wax casting method...... and! originals are 2 piece; band always the same and the changing plate for the camp soldered in.
Wether he is right?
I don`t know.
And i found years ago in a other forum a scan of post war book in which the giving of such rings was described.

All in all i am not sure in this rings and real don`t know what i should think about.
Untill more knowlede comes up for me a ring you have to believe in wink

While looking your pics i could imagine yours is a 2 piece.
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: POW Ring - 03/11/2017 07:48 PM
Agree w odal. Not a fan myself of the "class ring" style - probably hundreds if not thousands on eBay right now- USA army vet, navy, usmc - all with nice colored stones-- cheap and plentiful. Big ring manufacturers like jostens and Balfour will make one right now for you, have it say whatever you like. Dak41 has more interest and knowledge on these pieces, but I've never been a fan. I'd Much rather get a ring from my undergrad university someday first!
© Your new forums