UBB.threads
Posted By: ReichRings Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 11:17 AM
Hi. I have this Edelweiss ring to sell, I know it is original but i need confirmation of experts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: odal Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 02:59 PM
From the plate i nearly like it at the first view.
The stamps look on the pic not so good - dirt in them?
And some differences to my and other rings of this pattern with exact this hallmarks.
Here a pic to compare.
And, whats that? See the red lines. Is this a two piece made ring?
For sure a interesting ring.
Why are you so sure thats a good one? Good origin or award doc there?

Attached picture edelweissring.jpg
Attached picture 100_5721.JPG
Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 03:13 PM
no it's a striped from cleaned, i need clear the hallmark, but is a star and. I seent new photos.
Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 03:28 PM
This is another mine i sold in this page; http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthread...1852#Post251852

and this the new photo;

Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 03:38 PM
Another pic of back;

Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/03/2012 04:13 PM
And better pics.

Posted By: odal Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 05:22 AM
We know the pics of the other ring you showed and you know our opinion on that one.
But back to this ring - the plate looks from this pic that it had good details - but the design has some differences to the other rings of this pattern made by this manufacturer - and the hallmarks are not clear stamped in.
For me a ring with at least a lot of questions.

I am sure, G. knows more and can help.
Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 01:34 PM
I cleaned better the hallmark;

Posted By: odal Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 04:35 PM
Now, after cleaning, the hallmarks look better. But not real as usual - look here on the pics of you own other ring.
And, still there are differences at the plate - so for me the ring of this thread comes for sure from an other die as the common rings of this manufacturer.
For example look at this pics:

Attached picture ReichsRings ring.jpg
Attached picture standart.JPG
Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 04:39 PM
I think it's by normal wear.

GASPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE
Posted By: Wolf100 Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 05:01 PM
What Odal means is that on the cleaned ring the small peble is on the left side of the 1 and on the other sure original ring it is on the right side.
Posted By: odal Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/04/2012 05:03 PM
grin
Yes, i agree - for sure other and more opinions are very helpful.
One of us is on a wrong way.
Maybe i am meanwhile to careful in rings confused
Posted By: pzb14 Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/05/2012 03:44 PM
I don't know why but i don't like the ring
Posted By: hapur Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/06/2012 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: odal
Now, after cleaning, the hallmarks look better. But not real as usual - look here on the pics of you own other ring.

Look carefully on hallmarks. Hallmarks are cast.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/06/2012 07:33 PM
Hi guys,,,,this ring is copied almost perfectly, be very careful when buying ,,this one as Hapur points out has that cast in hallmark.. It is a copy..
Posted By: ReichRings Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/07/2012 08:58 AM
the ring found with metal detector and Not with another person, With m,e and I can verify That what. I've had other Original parts and are identical. Please do you base that?
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 10/07/2012 08:54 PM
A company's hallmarks are their identity. Sometimes a mark will change but they are stamped in. Some only stamp their mark in after all quality checks have been made and the ring passed..The hallmark in the ring looks like a representative of the authentic makers hallmarks. Collectors are looking for the stamped in marks. The content mark in my opinion and from viewing your photos look like individual dies pressed into a wax model.
An item being ground dug is not a provenance.. IF your happy with the ring fine that's all that matters.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 07:38 PM
Hello,

we all know edelweiss ring issued to soldiers belonging to first gebirgs division, but I guess edelweiss rings were very popular among gebirgs truppen, so different period pattern exist. IMO.

Here's one just sold by ebay, so I ask if it's a good period pattern since I do own the exact same pattern.

Ric

Attached picture BuyGermanRingEdelweiss1.1.jpg
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 07:40 PM
back with maker logo ?

Attached picture BuyGermanRingEdelweiss1.4.jpg
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 07:42 PM
side view

Attached picture BuyGermanRingEdelweiss1.5.jpg
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 07:45 PM
A nice maker marking along with seam

Attached picture BuyGermanRingEdelweiss1.3.jpg
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 08:22 PM
Here's mine

Ric

Attached picture EdelweissRingbyRatisbonsBuy1.1.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/03/2019 09:56 PM
Look like similar rings to me, ric, at least on the front shot. Looks like a nice Frey hallmark with the star too. I was watching myself but have similar questions, I would say it looks like a good piece to me. I think the X on the reverse is interesting- perhaps that is a good tell?
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/04/2019 05:40 PM
The same x in mine, barely visible but I assure it's there.

Ric

Attached picture EdelweissRingbyRatisbonsBuy1.7.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/04/2019 08:38 PM
Looks like a die struck stamp of some sort to me Ric. I think it is likely a good and rare ring, but I cannot base that in fact or back it up with proof but I like it man. I would guess it is an original ring
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/05/2019 09:17 AM
Thank you, Mike....I like it too.

Anyone else having this pattern in collection ?

Ric
Posted By: Stephen Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/06/2019 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ric Ferrari
Thank you, Mike....I like it too.

Anyone else having this pattern in collection ?

Ric

I do but mine is a fake (blush) and of considerably poorer quality than this lovely ring. I think it is good. Nice ring, congratulations!
Cheers,
Stephen
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/12/2019 06:28 AM
I hate to post these things sometimes.. I've heard from a few German vets that the only authentic wartime ring had the 1 on the front cartouche.! They also mentioned the Geb units were some of the early guys to have reunions. That these were a big deal to get at a reunion. You must bring some kind of proof or have at least a certain amount of soldiers present to verify you were a 'mountain man!

The rings with the 1 a bit of a weird phenomena. There are some hand made [semi official] award documents. There is one I've seen made out to the soldier and received the 1 on ring even though he wasn't in the 1st!

I have a death card and ring from a German family I've had for many years. He was not in the 1st,,the ring listed on the death card but he received one with the 1 on it [?]...

We even have a member here that has a soldbuch that has the ring listed in the award section [very rare] of the soldbuch!! Again,,I'd have to check but he got a 1 ring and also wasn't in the 1st.! There also seems to be 2 different dies for the '1' rings. some even hallmarked with a maker, some just content,,some with a star.

Both versions are available on the German auctions. The copies are really good I've inspected a few of the 1st div copies. But I've never hand inspected a non 1st for a length of time ut they seem to be made rather well.. Some copies are in near mint condition,,but display the old [1st] Frey 'F *'... So a new ring but real early hallmark not a good sign either.

It's something we just don't have a 100% confirmation on. The vet stories about the non 1 do it for me and what I've seen , non 1st getting 1st rings.. So It's just a formed opinion of mine and something many will have with different opinions and thats ok...

For now until a little bit of more info comes out we'll just have to agree to disagree.. And again,, if you like your non '1' then enjoy it,,,thats what its all about..
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/12/2019 01:43 PM
G.,

thank you for jumping in, as always an appreciated opinion.

So, do you confirm Frey marking shown (F + star) is an early one ?

Ric
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/13/2019 05:07 AM
On the SMP Silver Salon forum ,,,there used to be on a very knowledgeable guy 'Blackstone' on the 'Continental Silver section as they call it. ..

I have a Frey * in a regular rectangle,,,and some in a softer edged rectangle.. anyway here is his quote to me:

"The "F" & star mark (in a rounded rectangle) is listed in the same 1924 Yearbook as that of F. Frey & Co. of Pforzheim, Jewelry & Silverware manufacturers."

Might be in Tardys too,,just can't get to mine...

Oh yeah,,the silver forum is pretty good,,link at:

https://www.smpub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

*So while not 100%,, we can say 1924 is an early date, and there are the square boxed marks later on.. There is always more to find out on these things. Just that the reference materials like the engravers guild booklets and other guild type books wasn't the best of materials and didn't last long.. IF you own one of the non 1s I'd still hang on to it, info is always coming out.. And, for those interested in buying I'd stay with a 1er just to be certain for now..... Happy hunting...,G.
Posted By: Mikee Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/13/2019 06:35 AM
Would someone post the squared boxed company mark for Frey. The mark that I normally find is the rectangle mark rounded at the ends.Thank you.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/13/2019 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Gaspare
On the SMP Silver Salon forum ,,,there used to be on a very knowledgeable guy 'Blackstone' on the 'Continental Silver section as they call it. ..

I have a Frey * in a regular rectangle,,,and some in a softer edged rectangle.. anyway here is his quote to me:

"The "F" & star mark (in a rounded rectangle) is listed in the same 1924 Yearbook as that of F. Frey & Co. of Pforzheim, Jewelry & Silverware manufacturers."

Might be in Tardys too,,just can't get to mine...

Oh yeah,,the silver forum is pretty good,,link at:

https://www.smpub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

*So while not 100%,, we can say 1924 is an early date, and there are the square boxed marks later on.. There is always more to find out on these things. Just that the reference materials like the engravers guild booklets and other guild type books wasn't the best of materials and didn't last long.. IF you own one of the non 1s I'd still hang on to it, info is always coming out.. And, for those interested in buying I'd stay with a 1er just to be certain for now..... Happy hunting...,G.

Thank you, G,....much appreciated.

I remember you did already post silver Forum link in the past.........now I have to keep it in my record.......indeed very interesting.

Ric

P.S. unfortunately my Tardy's edition (1985 - reprint 2000) shows "old german states" hallmarks only, nothing post WWI related.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/14/2019 12:02 AM
Tardy's is great although primarily used for silverware.. But still a must have for us ring collectors.. The law once AH took power was small items didn't have to have any mark at all!

There was a very brief time with the more squared cartouche for the F*.. This is the right around waretime mark,,,and then later the Ln mark was dropped on some pieces..

Attached picture zzzzzzzDSCN4271 (2).JPG
Posted By: Mikee Re: Edelweiss ring!!!!!! - 02/14/2019 12:35 AM
Yes I have seen this mark but it's not within a square that I can tell. Anyone that can post one, Thank you. It's entirely up the companies that have registered trademarks to use it to mark or not. If they have one then why not, but if they don't have a registered trademark then no mark. That's why we see unmarked items.
© Your new forums