UBB.threads
Posted By: Ron Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/01/2006 08:19 PM
After some thought and conversations with Gaspare, I have decided to post my HR. It is uncleaned and has been authenticated by Don years ago. It is not and will be up for sale. Later on, when I get some more time and feeling better, I will post the inside pics and some info. Thanks, Ron

Attached picture military_001aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/01/2006 08:26 PM
next

Attached picture military_002aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/01/2006 08:29 PM
next.

Attached picture military_004aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/01/2006 08:31 PM
next..

Attached picture military_005aa.jpg
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/01/2006 09:17 PM
Super nice ring Ron and I look forward to seeing the inside.
I have a question though regarding the photography. If you click on "Properties" your pics are around 1200 x 470 pixels and the formant is Hyper Text Transfer Protocol(HTTP).
My question is how do you photograph and post in that format rather the JPEG since you're getting larger and sharper pictures this way?
Jim
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 12:09 AM
Hello
After reading my initial post,there is a mistake. It should say, It is not for sale at this time and will not be for sale at any other time. Ron
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 12:17 AM
Hello Jim
I am still learning how to use that camera, so I am not really sure how I got them to turn out like that. It was purely by accident if they showed up too big. I hope I did not take up too much space for the pics. If so, maybe Gaspare can resize them. The inside pics are taken on a different background and I took them on macro and then enlarged them. Hope they did not distort or loose detail. Ron

Attached picture military_038aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 12:21 AM
next

Attached picture military_039aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 12:24 AM
next.

Attached picture military_040aa.jpg
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 12:29 AM
next..

Attached picture military_041aa.jpg
Posted By: violin Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 04:20 AM
Gee, too bad the ring belonged to such a completely unknown guy. Wink David
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 04:55 AM
yeah, those paper pushers,,how boring Big Grin Wink

*Ron, first I'd like to say a BIG THANKS to you for posting your magnificent HR that belonged to Wilhelm Bittrich.. Smile

This ring was once on this forum a while ago. The photos were not good and just did not do the ring justice. They also got 'lost in the sauce' as they say..But now here again..The photos are excellent!!!

Ron I'm sure you have plenty of paperwork/files on Willi,,,,for the members heres a short bio on old Willi...A very nice combat career, Knights Cross winner,,a real treat to have the ring here. Thanks again Ron..

*Willi Bittrich bio..

Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/02/2006 03:43 PM
Hello Gaspare
You are very welcome and thank you for the bio link. I have his SS file on microfilm from the Berlin Documents Center and quite a lot of info I have research over the years. The last document I have is his death certificate when he died in 1979. He had a very interesting military career biginning WW1 and then ending in WW2. The earliest pic I have of him is when he was in command of the 74 Standarte. This would have been during the 1934 period. (attach pic). As far as I know it is an unpublished pic as I have never seen it referenced in any books or history of Wilhelm Bittrich. It really shows some interesting insignia like the SA/SS Flying Wing.
Again, hope I did not use up too much space with the pics. Thanks, Ron

Attached picture pic1.jpg
Posted By: Wolfram Sievers Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/03/2006 03:25 AM
Very nice ring.

I'm curious as to how you all acquire these rings when the recipients have lived long after the war.
Do the owners sell the rings themselves?
Do they give them to people?
Did they lose them and they were later ground dug?

How do you find these rings?!!
Posted By: Glowlight Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/03/2006 04:20 AM
Excellent ring and history. Thanks for sharing and feel free to post more pictures of the ring and more about Bittrich's history!!
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/03/2006 03:51 PM
Thanks Glowlight
I will see if I can take some better close up inside pics instead of enlarging regular pics. Ron
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2006 12:48 AM
Willi Bittrich served in WW1 as a pilot. ( In the bio link, I believe it says he served in the Army). Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2006 03:26 AM
Ron, yes,I've seen on another bio where he is listed as being in the 'Army' during WW1,,probably a mistake.Maybe you'd want to contact Wiking for a correction, info-en@wikimedia.org
That is one excellent photo!! The SS/SA wing has to be one of the rarest pieces of insignia there is!!really a great shot, thanks for posting it..
It also looks like he was a member of the Freikorps Hülsen also....

*Freikorps Hulsen*

Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2006 03:18 PM
Hello Gaspare
That is correct. He was in the Freikorps Hulsen Reichswehrbattl. Berlin. This is documented in his personelbogen.
He seemed to have a very interesting military career! Someday I will have to make it to a show to meet you and show the documentation for him. It is all in German and some of the early documents are hard to read due to the writing style. Anyway, let me know if you need other info on him. Thanks again Gaspare, Ron
Posted By: jds Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2006 10:25 PM
Of course the German Air Service was part of the German Army in WWI and the Navy also had a flying branch.
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 01:02 AM
jds
I thought they were different. Must be in name only. Yerger has some great reference books on the Waffen commanders and Das Reich. Ron
Posted By: jds Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 01:19 AM
Ron,
Nice ring!

I may be incorrect in calling it the Air Service, but it was certainly part of the Army and completley under Army command, uniforms and regulations. I think that this was also true for the British and of course the U.S until the late 1940s.

The Luftwaffe was formed in 1935 or 36.

By the way, do you have any information on how the ring was taken? At his capture or did it come to the U.S. much later?
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 01:37 AM
Hello jds
Yes, I have the info on how it was obtained. It was directly purchased (a friend of mine purchased it and then sold it to me) from the vet who first got it. I have pics and unit info as well. I would prefer to keep all details of that part private at this time as he is still living. I have kept in touch with the vet and have developed a good friendship which I don't want to jeopardize. Ron
Posted By: slayer Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 02:16 AM
Very nice.
Posted By: Vincent III Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 04:37 AM
Ron-

That is a wonderful ring and an awesome history!

Thank you very much for posting it.

Best regards,

Vincent III
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/06/2006 08:58 PM
Thank you gentlemen. Glad you enjoyed it. Ron
Posted By: inimicus Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/08/2006 01:55 AM
Great named finger-ring - and yes, that SA/SS Wing-in-wear pic is effin' stupendous - these must be much rarer even than the rings....
Posted By: Craig Gottlieb Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/11/2006 03:06 AM
Ron: Super ring, and thank you for posting it. Since you first told me about this ring a couple of years ago, I have always wanted to buy it from you. I have only handled one other ring to a Swords winner, and it is quite a rare piece. I own two oakleaf winner rings, and your ring is far superior to my examples. A SUPER piece!
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/22/2006 05:37 PM
Thank you Craig. I am very fortunate to have his career so well documented. I will try and work on the pic this week for you. Ron
Posted By: jds Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/04/2007 09:32 PM
Ron, I should have mentioned this last year when the thread came up. I understand that Bittrich's close combat knife is or at least was also in a Tenn. Collection. The knife (a Puma type) was taked from him at his capture/surrender and also had a short note from Bittrich himself at the time of his surrender stating that the knife was his.

It seems that maybe a number of Bittrich's items were souvineered at the the time of his capture.
Posted By: Ron Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/05/2007 12:32 AM
Hello jds
Yes, I was already aware of the boot knife (it and the note was pictured in one of TJ's books). I had been corresponding with Tom on its where abouts and the owner wished to remain anonymous. Tom suggested I write a letter and send it to Tom and he would would forward it to the owner. I did this about 5 or 6 times without any response. After discussing it with Tom, I basically gave up trying to obtain it. As far I know, it is not in TN and is still retained by that owner. Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/06/2007 04:48 AM
Ron, I always love to see this ring. Its gotta be one of the top 10 HRs discovered and in a collection right now...
Posted By: RaymondG Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/06/2007 07:57 AM
Ron

A fabulous ring.

My hearty congratulations delivered with a healthy amount of envy. Smile

Raymond
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/17/2009 04:52 AM
I like to bump rings like this to the top..A good early pattern ring to study..
One of the great Honor Rings out there in every respect. Enjoy guys.
Posted By: militarymania Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/17/2009 05:40 AM
another fabulous example with terrific provenance,,,super ring and history,,,very kind of you to share,,,thanks for that,,,robert
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/17/2009 06:51 AM
I'd suggest that everyone take the time to really examine this unquestionably original ring. I am going to ask everyone to concentrate on the flaws. NOT the die flaws but the other apparent flaws in this used but not abused ring. Because of the photography this is a unique opportunity for us to jointly examine a ring as if we collectively had it under a jewelers loupe. To start this off: For example; what caused the half moon flaw in the skull?
Jim
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/19/2009 04:15 AM
Jim, there are a few marks on this ring! Put a red line on the openning skull photo to show us exactly where..
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/19/2009 05:36 PM
G:
I don't know how to put red marks on but I'm talking about the half moon shaped flaw halfway up between the left eye socket and the top of the skull. It appears to me to be an original void in the metal.
Jim
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/19/2009 10:14 PM
Jimbo,, That looks like a 'useage' dent.. He was a tough MFer,,I'd love to have seen what that ring did!!
Posted By: Sepp Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 07/07/2009 02:51 PM
You can also read more about Bittrich in a book by Christopher Ailsby called SS: Roll of Infamy.

Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/11/2012 11:09 PM
Hello
Any new HR's to view or report? Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/13/2013 06:55 PM
Hello
Just wanted to add the following to the thread. Ron

Attached picture wb.jpg
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 08/21/2013 07:25 PM
Hello
Not to take up too much space or push it, but thought I would bring my thread up again for those looking at Totenkopfrings. I like history and think it has great history. Just don't want folks to think it is bragging. Hope nobody minds. Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 08/21/2013 10:56 PM
Ron, no secret,,you got one of the best HRs out there! always a pleasure to see it,,please ad new photos when ever you like!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/25/2014 04:22 AM
A couple of more pics.

Attached picture Bittrich.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/26/2014 01:21 AM
Wow, what a tunic he's wearing in that shot!!

Hey, feel free to post anytime,,its a great ring.. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind seeing any new photos of the ring too!!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/26/2014 03:45 AM
Thanks,Gaspare. Will try and take some in daylight.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/26/2014 08:34 PM
Gaspare, Thanks, Here are some pics of the ring. Not sure my photography does it justice. I know we hear it all the time, but it does actually look better in person. Ron

Originally Posted By: Gaspare
Wow, what a tunic he's wearing in that shot!!

Hey, feel free to post anytime,,its a great ring.. I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind seeing any new photos of the ring too!!

Attached picture ring.jpg
Attached picture ring1.jpg
Attached picture ring2.jpg
Attached picture ring4.jpg
Attached picture ring5.jpg
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/26/2014 08:36 PM
next

Attached picture ring6.jpg
Attached picture ring7.jpg
Attached picture ring8.jpg
Attached picture ring9.jpg
Attached picture ring10.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/27/2014 03:44 AM

Wow Ron ,,much thanks.. Man that is a real beauty..

Some guys like to study the fakes.. Forget that.. Study the authentic rings!

* Members,,,Heres a great chance to study a early pattern HR. Look hard,study. This is a great natural well worn ring probably a daily wearer... Would love to know the last 6 months history of this baby! wink
Thanks again Ron!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/28/2014 03:36 AM
Additional pics of Bittrich. They are copies of originals. They were in a photograph album belonging to Harzer.

Attached picture bittrich.jpg
Attached picture bittrich1.jpg
Attached picture bittrich2.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/28/2014 04:39 AM

Aahh the Summer whites! Some great photos,,[wonder if he's wearing the ring! ;)]

Also thanks for confirming he was involved in the messy 'Operation Market Garden'. I'll say it again,,GREAT ring!,,thanks for posting...
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/28/2014 05:17 PM
One could only imagine!

Pure speculation only, but I would bet this is it in this pic. Wish it was clearer. Ron

Attached picture Ring pic.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/29/2014 03:05 AM
Ron,

Awesome, simply awesome!
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/29/2014 09:31 AM
Hello Ron,

thanks for posting these nice pics.

Just a question :

checking by 1936 DAL, Willy Bittrich (SS n° 39177) is not awarded with SShr, surprisingly 1938 DAL recorded he got the ring, I'm just wondering the reason why.

Btw, if someone is able to date the last pic, that could help.

TIA

Ric
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/29/2014 04:34 PM
Hello Ric
Not sure about the DAL
I would date the last pic sometime before 1934
He joined the SS in 1932 wit Fligerstaffel Ost and the later took command of 74 Standarte. In these pics, he is wearing the tab of the 74 Standarte and SS/SA wings. Hope that helps you.Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/20/2014 09:54 PM
We all appreciate the history and try to preserve it. We collect it for the history and not the political aspect.
Unless your postings were related to my ring, maybe Vern or Dave can move them to a more apprppriate forum.
Don't want to sound rude, but would rather keep it ring related. Ron
Posted By: Dave Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/20/2014 10:33 PM
Tanker,

The only appropriate area is file 13.

You approve a cleanup ?

Dave
Posted By: Dave Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/21/2014 01:56 AM
Good. Thanks, Ron.

Thread locked.

Dave
Posted By: Dave Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 07/25/2014 11:56 PM
OK.

Thread cleaned up and about 20 posts lighter: Some 'bbtt's, a bunch from Matthias Fritz and his comedic vocabulary, and a similar amount from that last guy. None had anything to do with the ring.

Dave.

PS - "Ron" who started this, became "Tanker" part way through. Same guy.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 07/26/2014 03:21 AM
Thanks. Yes I am the same person (Ron & Tanker). The only reason there was a name change was due to the fact that the forum deleted my old registration and the only way to post was to re-register under another name. Nothing done to hide anything. Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 07/26/2014 03:22 AM
Thanks Dave,,,,and of course thanks Ron [Tanker].

Like I always say, this is one of the top HRs out there. Great history and excellent photos for study..

Ron you can always post more ring photos, different angles etc.,,maybe a birds eye view!..

Thanks again guys..,G.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 07/26/2014 03:33 AM
Thanks Gaspare.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/17/2014 03:28 AM
September 17th--start of Operation Market-Garden. Last victory of the Geman Army in WW2 and the Commander-Obergruppenfurher Bittrich
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/11/2014 10:45 PM
One word for this ring: WOW! I must say that this HR still has lots of detail. Must be pretty cool to own that ring and have all the original owner's info.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/13/2014 03:52 AM
Thank you. I am grateful to be the caretaker of this important historical item. Ron.
Posted By: kingtiger Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/13/2014 07:47 PM
Ron, it somehow escaped me that you owned this ring. It is magnificent to have that one, especially with all the WWII stuff on TV the last few days. I hope I get to see it one day if I get over your way. I have two Honor Rings, one to an SS Dr. and the other with the name obscured, which, according to Don Boyle, was not uncommon as the SS were loath to be caught with any evidence of their affiliation with the SS.

The Dr.s ring is a '44 and the other ring is a '37.

Mark
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/26/2015 09:37 PM
Hello
Just wanted to share this for the members. This is Bittrich's sleeve eagle removed from his tunic by the same soldier at the same time the ring was obtained. It is a nice heavy 1st pattern style and still has the strings attached where it was removed form the tunic. Ron

Attached picture eagle12.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/26/2015 10:25 PM
Now THats a war trophy! Nice, Ron!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/26/2015 11:39 PM
Thank you. Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/27/2015 02:50 AM
Ron,,, what a great addition to your collection/grouping..

That IS one magnificent SS eagle!,,really a great looking example. Makes that ring all the sweeter! wink

again,,still one of the best HRs out there all the better now...
Posted By: odal Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/27/2015 08:33 AM
Wow!
Congrats!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/01/2015 08:53 PM
Here is a nice article with pics of his grave site along with his wife.Ron
http://ww2gravestone.com/general/bittrich-wilhelm
Posted By: Sepp Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/02/2015 01:53 PM
I never get tired of seeing this ring...Man it is just the best

Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/03/2015 03:32 AM
,, does anyone know what happened to his Gold Party Pin??
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/03/2015 04:54 PM
Hello Gaspare
My records and his SS file do not show Bittrich having a Golden Party Pin.
Were you thinking of another person? Ron

Attached picture bit3.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/03/2015 05:12 PM
yeah,,looked at wrong photo! blush
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/03/2015 05:23 PM
See what old age is doing to us! Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/17/2015 02:30 AM
Glad all appreciated this recent piece of history (and don't get tired of me posting about it!:)
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/17/2015 02:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Gaspare

Wow Ron ,,much thanks.. Man that is a real beauty..

Some guys like to study the fakes.. Forget that.. Study the authentic rings!

* Members,,,Heres a great chance to study a early pattern HR. Look hard,study. This is a great natural well worn ring probably a daily wearer... Would love to know the last 6 months history of this baby! wink
Thanks again Ron!

Ron, it's incredible...So hopefully we can all get to see it at the max this October?? I'm hoping g would agree here, it would be a great piece for us to all study as he says....and drool over, natch. Gorgeous example, thanks for sharing!!
Mike
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/17/2015 02:50 AM
Thanks, it would be nice to attend a show and share it but I am just not physically able to drive any distant and attend a show.
The recent addition of the sleeve eagle makes a nice hsitorical package to view. Hope that doesn't sound like bragging. Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/18/2015 08:24 PM
Here is a better (I hope)close up of the sleeve eagle. Ron

Attached picture eagle1a.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/18/2015 10:05 PM
Love that eagle! Look at the frayed edges. I go back and look at the photo where you can see it on his left arm (he's wearing a sling)...and I imagine....maybe there was this moment....and some gi just straight up RIPped that eagle clean OFF that uniform. it may not have gone down that way, but it's plausible, and it's insanely powerful. 2 massive armies and opposing ideological forces boiled down to that one interaction between two men, one victor and one vanquished..
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/18/2015 10:10 PM
That would sound dramatic, but actually, it didn't happen that way. Those are threads where it was attached and not fraying. I have a letter from the the vet where he cut the eagle (and also obtaned the ring) from the tunic. There is no damage to it. Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/18/2015 11:56 PM
It's a great piece of history Ron, thanks for sharing it! And please pardon my imagination, I get carried away sometimes. This is just awesome stuff, bud!
God bless,
Mike
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/19/2015 12:07 AM
Mike
Thanks, but absolutely no reason to apologize. I should apologize to you if I sounded sarcastic/rude. I surely did not mean to and really appreciate any comments. If we can't use our imagination, collecting would be boring!:)
Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/19/2015 12:14 AM
No need for any apologies! No offense taken. And you are right, if we can't use our imaginations, it's all just stuff. Of course, I'm fairly sure most of our wives think the latter. I'd like to think I'm somewhere between brilliant display and extreme hoarding, again, according to the mrs., probably the latter. smile
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/19/2015 05:13 AM
Nice Ron.....
,,Is that eagle glued on to that paper?
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/19/2015 02:15 PM
Yes, it seems to have two small spots of glue on each end and one near the middle. It appears all the items in his scrapbook were glued (pics). Ron
Posted By: Thundahbolt Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 01:51 AM
While looking at the glue .. I must say this is one of the best eagles I have seen. Aside from the history. You surely must be a proud custodian.!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 02:13 AM
Thank you and yes I am honored to be the caretaker of the history. I know some collectors might not like items glued in scrapbook/photo albums, but it is just a fact that we have to live with. That is what vets did.
Personally, I don't mind it at all as it is part of the history from the vet. Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 02:26 AM
Agreed. And one hell of an eagle, to boot! Great stuff Ron
Mike
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 02:36 AM
Ron,,your lucky as it seems like a 'Elmers' type glue.. IF you were worried about it, it would come off super easy done correctly....
And yeah!, that really is a real nice arm eagle. There was a while some years back that they were going for some obscene money!
Not sure now,,with your provenance,,what probably over a $1000.[?] now days?
Anyone that could give us a current value of a top grade SS officers arm eagle??
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 02:45 AM
Showing my age here (58!), but it appears to be the type we used in grade school. That was a honey color and was in a litte bottle with the rubber tip and we would wipe the back of a paper with it and glue would be applied. Fortunately, this one jsut has small drops and not smeared on the entire back.
For me, I am just going to leave it the way it is.
Posted By: Thunderpit Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 09:41 AM
amazing set Ron. wow. thats a mighty fine piece of history!
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/20/2015 11:16 AM
I think we used that glue stuff in the 80s too... Mucilage, I believe?
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2016 06:52 PM
I know folks probably have seen enough of this, but just going through my collection for the yearly inspection and still find this to be my most prized piece. When I collected, I did for history and this has certainly fulfilled that portion. Again, sorry for the repeated posting on the thread. Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 04/05/2016 08:45 PM
No apologies Ron! This is one piece we don't mind seeing again! Beautiful piece of history....
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/17/2016 10:12 PM
Hello
Not that it is Totenkopfring related,but today was the start of Operation Market Garden. Bittrich was one of the prominent players and proved to be an honorable warrior during it. Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/17/2016 10:29 PM
Thanks Ron that's history related and that's what the rings are all about! Coincidentally, I just saw something on Amazon prime about the operation last night, added it to my "queue" to watch later this week (i hope!) very cool post!
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/25/2016 12:45 AM
+1 Ron is right- this is the bittrich thread.

Yes,,this IS the Bittrich thread! Hey Ron,,throw us a bone once in a while,,maybe show a real nice shot of a rune,,or the skull or the seam , or,,, wink ,Gaspare
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/27/2016 07:46 PM
Hope I did not sound rude. smile Ron
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/28/2016 02:13 AM
Nonsense! Ron u have always been a true gentleman and a great ambassador for the hobby... I could probably (definitely) use some of the tact with which you carry yourself at all times on every forum...
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 07:13 PM
Hello
Since original Honor Rings have been light in postings, I thought I would revive mine and post again. I know it is duplicate, but sometimes folks may overlook in a lot of pages.

Attached picture ring.jpg
Attached picture ring7.jpg
Attached picture ring8.jpg
Attached picture ring9.jpg
Attached picture ring10.jpg
Posted By: odal Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 07:58 PM
Wonderful work whistle
Posted By: Mark4321 Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 10:28 PM
That's some Ehrenring...
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 11:05 PM
It's amazing.... thank you, Ron! .. I've often wondered if during his years active in HIAG, did he own a HIAG signet ring?
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 11:09 PM
Possible. As of 1977, he was chairman
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 11:20 PM
Love to see that too, and have been unsuccessful trying to find any HIAG ring, thus far- missed on one a year ago- but anyone who knows where one is - love to have you contact me.., Ron, imho the bittrich honor ring is one of the finest pieces of SS memorabilia in existence. Thank you again for sharing it.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/13/2017 11:29 PM
Thank you Mike for the kind words. I do hope folks appreciate the historical value. Ron
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 03/14/2017 05:56 AM
Ron,, you know me!,, I never tire of seeing this ring.. One of the best out there.,,Early pattern, famous combat man, good condition. Really, a true 'one looker'. Glad you still have it..

John Pepperas rings were scattered to the four winds around the globe and Vincent no longer has the Hardieck ring...A mistake he now realizes...
Hold on to this baby Ron....
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 10/12/2017 03:54 AM
RON,,, there was guy set up next to us that had - U.S. bring back papers stating that he was taking home a small knife that belonged to Bittrich!!
The papers were real,,,BUT,,the knife was a weird black handled fighting knife,,appeared German,,but,,had a bogus SS overseas cap Skull button put in to the handle.. The button was def a fake.. Knife looked old but really couldn't pin it down to one of the typical patterns..

It did not sell.. They were guys getting out of the hobby. They were selling all the stuff they got burned on over the years.. $1000s worth of junk probably really worth $100s,,pretty sad..

IF your interested I might be able to put you in touch with them.. Maybe they would make you a scan of the bring back paper if you wanted it [?].. Please feel free to contact me any time if you want to give it a try with them...,G.

[ you still got one of the best HRs out there buddy!]

Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 10/13/2017 04:19 PM
Thank you Gaspare
Just sent you an email with scan. Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/07/2017 10:54 PM
I know it is repetitive, but was looking at the collection today and thought maybe I would bring the thread up again for viewing.:) Thought new collectors (and maybe old collectors) would enjoy it.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 11/30/2017 05:42 AM

Ron,, just re reading this topic.. Bottom page #3.. DAM man!!! I was 5 feet away from that Puma knife and paper but didn't get to take a look at it blush ..
He did have a lot of bogus stuff so who knew if it was the real deal...
- Black scabbard, had a SS overseas Skull button on scabbard.

Does anyone have a photo or the description from the catalog Ron mentions?
No word on contacting him Ron.. Does anyone have the MAX book from this year? We could get a contact from it!! Dam man sorry Ron,,,so close yet so far... We'll get to the bottom of it even if we have to wait to the next MAX!
Meanwhile,,,,,,,

why don't you put some more shots up.. A nice straight on shot of the skull.
A birds eye view..
A nice straight shot of the rear, sides..
I know its hard!!!
And how about the name, date,,maybe we can see entry and exit marks. They aren't always seen but you never know till we have a look see. The Himmler, the seam..
We need nice, clear, well lit but no glare, big..

Jewelry is one of the hardest to shoot correctly! Take your time,,when ever you get a chance.. always nice to see one of the best HRs out there!!! grin , thanks Ron,,,Gaspare
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 12/14/2017 09:08 PM
This could very well be the ring but details/size of pics are too small to 100% positive.

Attached picture Ring pic.jpg
Posted By: odal Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 12/15/2017 06:38 AM
I think most possible it is the ring.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 12/26/2017 06:19 AM
Everything seems to be working fine now. Pics have shown again so I am glad they were not lost.
Thanks Vern for getting it working again.
Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/17/2018 08:41 PM
Everything seems to work! I am glad they were able to recover it. Thanks for the hard work involved to fix it. Ron
Posted By: johnnyrocket Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/17/2018 09:43 PM
I love that ring. Nice one.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/18/2018 05:41 AM
I officially proclaim this is one of the top 5 Honor rings out there... For me it has it all:

An early pattern
Just enough wear to show he didn't keep it at home,,,he wore this baby!
Winner of high combat and party awards
An famous/infamous SS man.
Ron has files and files on him..

I don't know the order or which the other 4 would be,,,but for me certainly top 5er!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/23/2018 07:27 PM
With all the discussions going on about cast or die techniques, thought it would be nice to look at a nice historical ring again ( no I am not bragging!).
Ron
Posted By: Militarynut Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/23/2018 08:21 PM
hi ron
dont worry about bragging about the bittich ss honor ring its a very historical honor ring bittisch has a great record to go with it thanks god bless andy militarynut
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 05/24/2018 02:34 AM
Man,, IF I had that ring I'd go bragging about it all the time.. Smartest thing you did was years ago authenticate it, get his name out and then the counterfeiters left it alone..

It's a great 1st pattern HR with a great history.. You welcome to post new photos what ever you like,,there can't be too many!,,Than Ron..,G.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/17/2019 10:36 PM
Since Operation Market Garden is at this time, I thought I would bring this up again in case new members may have missed something. Bittrich was the 2nd SS Panzer Corp commander.
Ron
Posted By: Mikee Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 09/18/2019 02:15 AM
Tanker, Nice ring! Thanks for bringing back to the top.
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/03/2020 05:12 PM
I know folks get tired of seeing things over and over, but didn't have anything else to do so I thought I would looked back through and read again. Hope new collectors will enjoy. For me , a nice break from the manufacturing controversy. Here a re a couple of pics of Bittrich at Mauthausen.
If mods feel I am being to repetitive, please feel free to deleted any of my unnecessary post. Take care to all, Ron

Attached picture Bittrich Mauthausen.jpg
Attached picture Bittrich Mauthausen1a.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/05/2020 05:31 PM
At Mauthausen!,, Wow, what a shot...

Looks like his left hand is bandaged [?].. That a Deutchland cufftitle?, And, is that a Wound badge on his left pocket?

* I just saw on page 2 a nice close up. He does have the 1st pattern Wound Badge so that could be what we see on this Mauthausen photo..
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/05/2020 06:02 PM
Gaspare
Yes, it is a WW1 black wound badge. He was wounded twice in WW1. You will some pics of him wearing his WW1/WW2 awards together.
The injury/bandaged hand was during his days Regiment "Deutschland" commander. The pic at Mauthausen was in June 41.

Yes, that is the WW1 WB
Here is a link to his WW1 flying unit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdstaffel_37

Attached picture pic1.jpg
Attached picture wb.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/11/2020 05:59 PM
-
Always a pleasure to see anything with this ring. New photos always welcomed..

Man!, that SA / SS pocket/breast insignia has got to be one of the rarest pieces of insignia there is!
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/23/2021 12:49 AM
My home made ring container. Sorry for the over posting. smile

Attached picture r1 (2).JPG
Attached picture r2.jpg
Attached picture r3.jpg
Attached picture r4.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/23/2021 03:04 AM
Ron,, you never have to apologize to show that ring!! That HR checks all the boxes for me.. Excellent HR,,,dare I say it? a one looker!

* Yeah maybe a nice updated shot,,even just a couple,,,a nice frontal etc.,, we have the new photo sizes now too! whistle wink
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/23/2021 02:50 PM
Thank you Gaspare. I think the best close ups I could ever do are the first 3/4 pics on page one. Not sure how I got them that close up and clear, but never could do it again but fortunately saved. Ron

Attached picture military_001aa.jpg
Attached picture military_002aa.jpg
Attached picture military_004aa.jpg
Attached picture military_005aa.jpg
Posted By: Sarcasmos Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/23/2021 11:56 PM
Indeed a very amazing and important piece of history! I am quite jealous. I wish I had a container like that for my TK ring!
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/24/2021 01:56 AM
That’s the holy grail to me. Everyone has theirs, but this one is the holy of Holies to me
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 06/25/2021 12:30 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the support and compliments. Ron
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/10/2024 11:00 PM
Hope there will be some HR's at the SOS.
Posted By: Ric Ferrari Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/11/2024 05:49 PM
Ron,

just wanted to let you know that it was a pleasure to refresh my memory looking again at this superb piece of history.

Ric
Posted By: Tanker Re: Bittrich Honor Ring - 02/11/2024 06:05 PM
Thank you. Most kind. Glad folks still enjoy it and the history. Ron
© Your new forums