inside of ring body

Attached picture 772395-R1-025-11_012.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 08/28/2008 08:43 PM
right side

Attached picture 772395-R1-019-8_009.jpg
Posted By: phil-brown Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 08/28/2008 09:17 PM
i immediatley think fantasy, but who knows, quite a scary skull anyhow Eek
Posted By: militarymania Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 08/28/2008 09:23 PM
hi phil,,,i bought this ring with a bunch of common ww ii german items back in the '92,,wmc's,tinnies,etc,,so i know at least that the source(vet's son)was good,,,does look kind of goofy though doesn't it? Wink
Posted By: Gaspare Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 09/01/2008 02:23 AM
For years I did not believe this was a period ring.. About 5 years ago I saw one with a pretty good provenance. Very nice detail even though worn and it was a 2 piece design! The skull was separate and affixed to the ring with a rivet like a couple other pattern period rings.. This one looks like a copy of the one I saw.

I gotta tell you, the provenance was NOT the best. It came with a large group of other items to include a pair of Runic tabs and everything was good! BUT, nothing to date has ever come about for this ring,,no period photo in wear,,no period advertisement, none with a 99% provenance,,no honest ground dug..

So, I think we have a ring that is still up in the air. Most don't believe because its a little over the top,,others don't like the style or detail. So far just about all examples of this ring have been in this exact condition,,weird right!! well, that usually means reproduction.
So, lets wait before we can proclaim this as even a possible wartime pattern until some more info comes in...
Posted By: Gaspare Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 09/06/2008 04:21 AM
Got a few emails about this ring. One said he had the ring since the mid 1970s,,thats nothing my friend as thats the height of reproduction/fantasy pieces like this. Another got his in a large group of stuff that most turned out to be real,,again, that means nothing.

I don't like certain pieces but sometime in the sprit of the forum and comradery I'll be polite and lightly mention or just hint its a fake and/or more info is needed..
This ring shown is a fake,,make no doubt about it. Look in between the runes,,you'll see a line,closer examination / better photos would probably show more. Weird flat or grind[?] marks, uneven structure all around. Looks like fault lines inside band. That 'dot' in the eye..All problems from a rubber mold/lost wax cast piece and that = postwar.

Most ring collectors don't accept this pattern at all,,its a fantasy to them. They might be right. All I can say it I saw one that was 2 piece, skull affixed with rivet. Inside band not like this one, looked like a regular well finished off band [solid behind skull]. It had very good detail.
Could that have been a fake/fantasy too,,absolutely! I just can't say 100% it is.. Lets continue to look and investigate and hopefully something will come up on them,, but for now all I can say is be careful and if you really must have this example in your collection check it out really careful for all the signs of a postwar piece and try and not spend a fortune on it..
Posted By: odal Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 09/06/2008 05:19 AM
well spoken!

I think too its a fake
Posted By: Knucklehead Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 09/06/2008 05:52 AM
Posted By: Knucklehead Re: SS Skull ring,,, - 09/06/2008 05:54 AM
I have what looks like the exact same ring except slightly thinner. I bought it at the
Atlanta Flea Market in 1975 from what I remember the only vendor there selling TR Militaria. He had daggers, flags, helmets and other items.

He had a half dozen of 'em, and told me they were recently made as of 1975.
© Your new forums