UBB.threads
Posted By: vintagetimenow WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 06:52 PM
Seems reasonable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230258446549

Attached picture WKC_Diver.JPG
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 07:26 PM
I've had several of these and that is a good looking one at a reasonable b.i.n. price.
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 07:52 PM
Ed, it says the blade is blued. I've never seen a period blued blade on these, have you?

john

Attached picture WKC_Diver_mm.JPG
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 08:09 PM
John, This is the second one i've heard the blade was blued. Mine were both regular satin finished steel.
Posted By: [email protected] Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 08:21 PM
Gentlemen,

Is the knife Navy Proofed or is it a commercial model?

Richard Kuchta
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 08:30 PM
They make no mention of any proof mark only the distibutor and maker mark. Rich are you saying this is most likely a commercial piece?
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 09:50 PM
Although it has German source markings, if that is a what I think it is, then it�s a WW I era Austrian Navy Diver�s Knife not German. Very hard to see in the image - but what I�ve pointed out could be an Austrian Double Headed Eagle. Unless that is what you are looking for, then I think that some more pictures might be helpful at this point. FP

Attached picture Austrian_Navy.jpg
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/02/2008 09:57 PM
I believe the WKC trademark on this piece is later than WW1.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 01:20 AM
I agree with Ed, that WKC mark is post WWI. I have a Weimar Feuerwehr dagger with that mark as well as an early 3R Feuerwehr bayonet. I can't speak to the stamping Fred mentions, very interesting though.
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 03:22 AM
I guess the seller doesn't have a good macro camera::

Hello, there are two stamped symbols in the brass as you said but they are to me unreadable. I even used a jewelers loupe and still they are meaningless to me. I sure do not think I can take a pic of them. I will try to do macro photography but I do not know if it will work. These symbols remind me of hallmarks such as you see in silver antiques, etc. What do you think they are for? I have taken several pics of these but they are still unreadable to me. I used a fine macro setting on my digital but either the light is too bright or too dim or the flash messes up the image. I am not a pro at photography. But, there are two definite symbols on there and look like hallmarks but I can't tell what they are. One looks similar to an H and the other looks like a beehive or something like that. Maybe you can see something in the pics. They are not too clear but the best I can do. all I know is this is ORIGINAL and was acquired by me from a old time large collection several years ago. it is exactly like the book examples I have seen and the only one I have ever run across in years of looking. It is very heavy solid brass with the blade and handle end screws into the large threaded tube. I hope these photos help you but I can guarantee this be be the real McCoy as I said before. As to the hallmarks, I am not even sure why they are there at all. Never seen that on any German piece before. I have an extensive collection myself and am just thinning it out a bit. I have seen one of these for sale once before and it was priced at over 2000 dollars. I feel my price is very fair and a good investment. Thanks for you inquiry. I hope you are seriously interested in this piece. Larry

Attached picture DSCN0197(2).JPG
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 02:38 PM
Somebody can correct me if I�m wrong. But I think that TW has cited the �high neck� WKC trademark not just as Weimar, but also as seen on some pre or early WW I items as well. I think that it�s a good knife, just not German Navy, having instead having what I believe to be Austrian markings. Posted below: an image from an earlier thread. FP

Attached picture Aust._Navy_WKC.JPG
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 03:06 PM
Great pics Fred and yes probably a contract made piece. I still say it's a real fair buy.
Posted By: A J Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 03:16 PM
Aug Luneburg were still in business in Kiel during WWII Kiel is on the Baltic in Northern Germany so I struggle with the Austrian landlocked Navy theory
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 04:02 PM
A J, This is from memory so I cannot guarantee the accuracy. But my recollection is that the Austrians had a large naval base on the Adriatic. And that at some point the Germans as co-belligerents also used the base. And while I don�t have any problems with this knife. I did with a Third Reich motif embellished example that I may still have a picture of somewhere. Best Regards, FP
Posted By: [email protected] Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/03/2008 05:08 PM
Without the German Naval Proof Marks, it is difficult to call it a German WW11 Diver's Knife. I have numerous Diver's Knives that are Navy proofed. Those that do not have the Navy Proof are usually referred to as commercial diver's knives.

Richard Kuchta
Posted By: E Rader Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 06/28/2008 11:56 AM
I owned 1 of these that have some engraving on the scabbard. Tom Johnson stated it was Austrian.
Posted By: A J Re: WKC Divers knife on eBan - 07/04/2008 03:34 PM
Old Brigade were offering one earlier this week at best part of �700 but thats gone theres one on www.Speedbid.com at the moment with a starting bid of �250 and no takers Vendor states he bought it in Keil some years ago if anybody is looking for one
I am not the vendor or anything to do with them just giving you all a heads up
© Your new forums