UBB.threads
Posted By: eric seat RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/24/2006 08:41 PM
How much would a nickle silver nice shape RC hewer be worth.Blade and fittings are ex. 90% paint on scabbard,no frog and frog stud is missing.Been offered it for 375.00 cheap enough or no?
Posted By: Ju88 Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/24/2006 09:54 PM
Not a bad deal if the blade and handle are in good shape. Missing the frog stud is a bit of a downer.

Any pics?
Posted By: eric seat Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/24/2006 11:57 PM
Thanks,I have 2 snapshots,but arent too good.I found a frog on line for it but is there anyway to find a lug and reattach it?Anyway I dont know if its worth fixing up.

Attached picture MVC-304S.JPG
Posted By: eric seat Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/25/2006 12:00 AM
black frog can be had for 75.00 ,nice shape.

Attached picture MVC-305S.JPG
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/25/2006 12:38 AM
I would say it is a fair price. These are often overlooked daggers which have been recently appreciating (as far as I have seen). Eventhough it is missing the lug, as long as you are talking US dollars, I think you have a very fair price.
If nothing else it would be a great starter piece and you could probably trade it in, in a few years for at least what you paid.
Just my opinion.
Johnny
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/25/2006 12:42 AM
OK I just read your last post... If you can get the black frog for $75.00 BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a very nice RC hewer like yours (without a frog) and paid $350.00 for a frog from a VERY reputable dealer. The frogs are very hard to find and there are a lot od RC daggers without them. If you can get one for $75.00 you have a deal that is far better than the dagger itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my opinon!
PS: Where were you last year when I paid $350???
Wink

PSS: Yes, I think the whole thing IS worth "fixing up". Finding a lug may be near impossible, but if you could get the part machined (for near nothing) and painted and re-attached (super glue works great!) This knife, cleaned up, a new lug and the frog, you would havee an $600-700 knife. I would say "go for it!"
Good luck!
Posted By: eric seat Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/25/2006 01:11 AM
Thanks Johnny V,Yes its US dollars and includes shipping.I better buy that frog too,but its probably not in as nice a shape as the frog you bought.Maybe I CAN find a lug or have one made,good idea.Anyway dont see how I could lose,thanks again for the advice guys.
Posted By: Ju88 Re: RED CROSS HEWER cheap enough? - 06/25/2006 05:36 AM
Eric, before you spend too much money, check with some of your reputable dealers.

These are from Lakeside, one of the best, and are only an idea of what can be had. I realize they are all marked 'on hold', but were available not long ago.

Patience is more than a virtue when collecting items over 60 years old.

But, don't get me wrong, $375 is a good price for that piece, I would buy it myself, but look at all of your options first, esp if, like me, $400 is a lot of money to spend.
© Your new forums