UBB.threads
Posted By: pvon Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 12:22 AM
Diplomatic/Government,

Some say the most beautiful daggers!

I can't say I have had many!

But a few!

Now I bet some of you have them wrapped,tagged and bagged!

Lets see some and your thoughts!

PVON

Attached picture image_2517833.jpg
Attached picture image_2517834(1).jpg
Attached picture image_2517835.jpg
Attached picture image_2517836.jpg
Attached picture image_2517839.jpg
Attached picture image_2517840.jpg
Attached picture image_2517843.jpg
Attached picture image_2517846.jpg
Attached picture image_2517852.jpg
Posted By: pvon Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 12:27 AM
b

Attached picture image_2517856.jpg
Attached picture image_2517853.jpg
Attached picture image_2517859.jpg
Attached picture image_2517863.jpg
Attached picture image_2517862.jpg
Posted By: pvon Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 12:39 AM
c

Well that starts it off for tonight!

PVON

Attached picture image_2530492.jpg
Attached picture image_2530491.jpg
Attached picture image_2530493.jpg
Attached picture dipvisor.jpg
Attached picture dipsword.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 09:56 PM
I didn't develop an appreciation for these daggers early on but over time saw their graceful lines and good construction.

Attached picture IMG_0522.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 09:58 PM
The tag came separately but I thought it appropriate on this one.

Attached picture IMG_0526.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 09:59 PM
It's not easy to tell but the knot is the correct smaller dimension type.

Attached picture IMG_0530.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 09:59 PM
A good mark on a GO

Attached picture IMG_0527.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 10:17 PM
Here's something else in the same vein. Not nearly as much patina as the Eick GO but it was still something to behold.

Attached picture IMG_3110.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 10:17 PM
As expected, an Alcoso mark.

Attached picture IMG_3112.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 10:18 PM
Side by side

Attached picture IMG_3115.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/09/2021 10:20 PM
Nice comparison of the differences between an Alcoso Diplo and an Eickhorn GO. I've found both of these examples to be of the highest quality in design and also in finishing.

Attached picture IMG_3114.JPG
Posted By: pvon Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/10/2021 03:16 PM
Beautys Billy

Thanks for sharing

PVON
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 03:44 PM
Here's something you don't see everyday, a beautifully conditioned RMBO. Posting for Serge M.

Attached picture RMBO1.jpg
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 03:44 PM
Reverse

Attached picture RMBO2.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 03:54 PM
Have shown this pic already elsewhere but it is fitting in this thread too: Two EICKHORNS. So similar, so different.

Attached picture 19.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 03:59 PM
The gov with it´s decades of patination is a special treat.

Attached picture 39.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 04:06 PM
Diplomatic variations (unfortunately in a very bad pic; but find the right one, see portepee..).

Attached picture 058.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 04:11 PM
ALCOSO with rare true YELLOW (produced as such, not artificially aged!) grip. Was brought to me by my unforgettable friend Bill Laret.

Attached picture 79.JPG
Attached picture 79a.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 04:14 PM
Once these were all but in the meantime there are two more (a diplo and a gov) not in this pic.

Attached picture 24.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 04:18 PM
Not to forget the hangers (these are still not all)! I think you can see now that gov/diplo dagers are very special section for me. And even when they look alike not any is like the other.
Regards,

Attached picture 23.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Billy G.
It's not easy to tell but the knot is the correct smaller dimension type.
Hello Billy G., easy to recognize when you know what to look for. A specail feature which up to now I have seen only with diplo portepees. Compare to "normal" portepees, you will see.

@pvon, a diplomat´s degen would be a very far aim I will not get any more.

Unfortunately none of my diplos or govs is bagged and tagged. I have seen such a gem only once in my life at a german show.

Regards,
Posted By: Vern Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 08:52 PM
Just fantastic wink
Posted By: seany Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/11/2021 09:25 PM
Wotan absolutely stunning!! i wish i had just one maybe one day
Nothing like these beautiful daggers in a production model for the period. My favorite.
Posted By: goldfasan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/12/2021 01:35 PM
Beautiful daggers great collection congratulations
Horst
Posted By: pvon Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/12/2021 03:29 PM
Yes just a outstanding group of daggers!

Thanks to all showing!

Hangers! Knots are all very hard to find or still attached to
its daggers!

Its impressive to see collectors!

Horst

Do you have some?

I would like to see that rail road eagle in your avatar

If you need help with resize here please email me!

pvon67@aol.com

PVON
Originally Posted by wotan
Not to forget the hangers (these are still not all)! I think you can see now that gov/diplo dagers are very special section for me. And even when they look alike not any is like the other.
Regards,

Wotan,
As you know, the hangers are harder to find than the daggers. The proper portapees even harder.
Congrats ! Great collection.
-Serge
Posted By: Mikee Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 09/15/2021 08:24 PM
Wow what a collection you guys have!
Wotan, have you ever seen a period photo of a Diplo Dagger in wear with the rare portepee? I can't recall seeing one.
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 01/04/2022 03:33 AM
Hello Ron, unfortunately no. Since I do own this portepee (which did come directly out of the household of the former wearer, wrapped on his diplomatic dagger but unfortunately no wearing pic - the "worthless" documents have already been destroyed sick) I do look for a "wearing" pic. Up to now with no success.
Although, as you can see in my thread https://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=338789#Post338789 the certain portepee is at least well documented.
Regards,
Thanks Wotan. I believe in the knot, but as with the early HJ Knives, some of the non-believers need to see period use to accept the unusual.
Posted By: wotan Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 01/05/2022 06:22 PM
Hello Ron, I have seeen this certain knot 3 times worldwide. Once on a diplomat´s dagger at TMJ and TTW (one and the same item), mine and later one at Weitze (I could not find out where it did come, I cannot conclude that it is the former knot of TMJ/TTW). All completely idential and also from the kind of manufacturing 100% period (when you hold it in hands it is a clear one-looker). There might be some more (I am sure) but I am not aware of them.
Do YOU know another one?
So the chance getting a "wearing pic" of such a knot is extremely small. But the hunt goes on. Perhaps, who knows. Unfortunately the interest in accouterment is also small and there are not much collectors if any beside us looking for such a wearing pic. In Jill Halcomb´s book on page 187 there is a photograph in which TTW thought to see this certain knot but I personally do not believe in this, I tend to see more the "normal" portepees.
I have looked through hundrets of gov/diplo photographs but mostly there are high representatives pictured. As the knot is for low diplomatic grades and in my assumption a late production it is even more difficult to find a certain wearing pic.
Regards,
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Diplomatic/Government, Beautiful daggers! - 01/05/2022 06:57 PM
Wotan,

The provenance you have on this knot is about as good as it gets these days, absent an affidavit from the original owner. I also like this knot and am also looking for period pics of it. A rare and obscure accouterment and something I’d love to own myself!
© Your new forums