UBB.threads
Posted By: mongobongo Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/14/2010 10:09 PM
I do some charity work for a school, cut a long story short one of the teachers I am friendly with gave me an SA and a GO and some nice books when their dad went into an old peoples home.

Its a textbook Eickhorn silver GO, everything has been numbered and its sleepy and not in the best of condition. Anyhows the blade on it looked like a brown colour with a load of stains and speckling. I took one look at it and thought it shot and just put it away.

I gave it a bit of a clean and its definately GOLD plated or gilded. I have to say I then took the piece down thinking it must have been messed with but it looks completely original in every way.

I asked the teacher if he could ask his dad about it but unfortunately he is no longer cognative with some kind of dementia. But he did say it had been in the loft as long as he could remember as a child, and his dad did say to him that he brought them back from the war?.

I will post some pictures in the next few days but has anyone ever seen one?
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:18 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_002.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:18 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_003.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:19 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_004.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:20 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_005.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:21 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_006.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:21 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_007.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:22 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_008.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:23 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_009.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:25 PM

Attached picture tn_go_gold_010.JPG
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 04:29 PM
Its seen better days but its definately gold plated or gilded. There are still a few quite shiny spots but a lot of the greying and spotting seems to have damaged it somewhat.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Mann Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 05:16 PM
,,I love your sleepy old dag.
Perhaps electroplated, post?
Cheers
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 10:10 PM
No idea that is why I have asked to know if anyone has seen one like it before?.

Bit of an oddity or a bit messed with?
Martin,
The Eickhorn logo looks crisp to me. From examples I have seen the plating would usually be applied after the logo acid etching. So one would get a rather muted logo as seen here on another Eickhorn Nickel plated blade with the 35-41 squirrel.

However that doesn't mean that the owner didn't take and have, as Mann suggested, electroplated to do his own 'touch' to it.
The plate or whatever the material is seems to have been there a long time.

Perhaps one of our other dagger veterans have seen something like this before.

Interesting piece. Gee...I never had (yet) a G.O. as a 'Gift'. Nice...Congrats! Cool

-serge-
Posted By: mongobongo Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/16/2010 10:31 PM
Yes they are lovely people, I tried forcing money on them but they would only settle for a meal at a local restaurant and said I would offend them. They just wanted it all to have a good home Smile. His wife told him to get rid of it all or she was going to throw it all away.

The books are amazing as well got three boxes of them to go through.
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Anyone ever seen a gold blade on a GO? - 05/17/2010 01:07 AM
More than likely the copper base coat for the blade plating or did he lacquer the blade as this will turn color too.. Sure does not look gold plated to me..
With most plated blades the plating extends up onto the tang, even if it's just a little bit. With the pictures so far, I don't seem to be seeing any evidence of this happening. FP

Attached picture gold___plated_blade.jpg
© Your new forums